U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2019, 07:05 PM

56 posts, read 144,117 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We have been looking online for a small house in the area around Merritt and Oriental. We would like to be close to the ocean and have opportunities for jet skiing without the crowds. How does this area compare to the Outer Banks in terms of convenience to shopping (groceries, hardware, essentials) and amount of tourists?
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you and Happy New Year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2019, 09:24 PM

10,143 posts, read 10,571,021 times
Oriental is not that close to the beach. It's a great place for sailing, though. I don't know anything about jet skiing. It's about 1:15 to the beach off-season. Beach traffic can be bad on Saturdays in the summer though.

Old 01-02-2019, 04:05 AM

11,114 posts, read 18,996,106 times
Obviously, Oriental is much less crowded than the Outer Banks. It has one each of the basics: grocery store, hardware store, wine and beer shop. The ABC store is a longer drive.

This may be more expensive than you are seeking, but have you looked at the RiverDunes development? Website shows a few model homes, a marina, a spa and fitness center and a gourmet grocery store: https://riverdunes.com/

Old 01-07-2019, 08:03 AM

11 posts, read 5,350 times
Oriental is a nice small town but the river there is not like the ocean, it is brownish tinged from all the pine trees around (tannic acid I think?) There are some cheaper waterfront homes there if you find them right. I think you might like the crystal coast area as the water is much clearer there IMHO. Morehead City is decent sized, has more stores, etc and has some reasonable waterfront on the north side. Even if you are in a small house downtown there are accessways to the water. Atlantic beach/Emerald Isle are just across bridge and beaches are much like the outer banks. Just my 2 cents as a northerner biding my time until I can head south for good!

Old 01-10-2019, 03:45 AM

56 posts, read 144,117 times
Thank you for all your input.

Old Yesterday, 05:24 PM

548 posts, read 883,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMPL View Post
Thank you for all your input.
Head further south into Brunswick county. Sunset Beach, Ocean Isle Beach or beautiful beaches and the homes there are lovely. I would also include Southport in that

Old Today, 08:21 AM
LLN

4,941 posts, read 8,490,089 times
We faced the same decision a dozen years ago. We chose New Bern. Looking at why we wanted to move down here, in hindsight, MHC would have been a much bette choice. (Much better water quality and access to great fishing)

Enter reality. NB has much better medical and as you get older, you may, as I have, need more and more medical. So, in the end, big picture, NB was probably the best choice.

OBTW we lived on Oak Island back in late 90s. The water off Emerald Isle is greatly “better” than that off the Brunswick County beaches. The Cape Fear River dumps a lot of dingy water and it seems to flow right along the beaches. Really, the difference in clarity is astounding!

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina