U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2008, 05:06 PM

146 posts, read 522,313 times

Advertisements

What I'd like to find is an older "craftsman" style or low country style with a nice little lot and great big porches. Is that findable in Wilmington?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 06:45 AM

4,597 posts, read 10,427,865 times
You may have better luck, finding what you are looking for, in either the Chestnut Heights area, or the neighborhoods that border Forest Hills. Both are on either sides of Market Street, at about 17th, 18th, 19th Streets.

The homes are older, but are well-maintained by a lot of young couples, with and without families, who have been buying the homes and moving into them over the past ten years. Some people seem to like the area so well until they buy more than one! The fellow who lived across the street from my Grandmother, bought her house, too.

Some of the homes -- the closer you get to Forest Hills, and in the Mansion overlay, will be pricey -- $200-300K, or more, depending upon condition, size of the lot, whether the home has been upgraded and /or remodeled. There are strict rules in some areas, too, about maintaining the look of the home and the neighborhood.

All in all, it is a wonderful area to live, and relatively safe. You can walk the neighborhoods. My sister says, however, that there has been a rash of break-ins, but that tends to run in cycles. Even growing up, if we didn't secure our bicyles and lawn tools in the garage out back, they would be stolen.

As a rule, the closer you get to the riverfront, and downtown 'proper,' the larger many of the homes will be.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:41 AM

A perfect reply, I thank you! Do you happen to know of a good realtor website that shows or maybe focuses on those areas? You can direct mail if you'd rather do that. Thanks again in bunches!

Old 04-08-2008, 08:54 AM

8,575 posts, read 6,351,543 times
watch for one thing, asbestos siding.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:18 AM

Ooh, that doesn't sound good at all. Is that a known problem in the area?

Old 04-08-2008, 02:44 PM

8,575 posts, read 6,351,543 times
I wouldn't say it's a known problem in the area, it was just a common material for exteriors during the time period that these homes were built. so was lead paint. they have to let you know in a disclaimer though so you can protect yourself.

Old 04-13-2008, 12:35 PM

8 posts, read 40,864 times
For the style of home you described, I would second the recommendations and add a couple: Brookwood is a great neighborhood near Forest Hills, but finding anything under $300K will be hard. Carolina Place is the name of the neighborhood off Market in the overlay area that I personally love. There are still a lot of fixer-uppers to find if that is what you want, or renovations if you want move in ready. You can find a fixer-upper for under $200K in this area. Another place to try is Sunset Park. A 1940's Port neighborhood there are some really cool cottages, bungalows, etc.. most are small, but a few are impressive! Pricing in this neighborhood ranges from high $100's to low $200's. Hope this helps.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:12 PM

1 posts, read 9,020 times
I too am considering a move to wilmington, nc. So far what's been written here sound pretty good. I want to move from Long Island to the southern east coast. Wilmington has come up. My big concern are the public schools. Are they good. How do they rate in comparison to the rest of the country?

Old 06-26-2009, 08:09 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,175 posts, read 5,207,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMSouthbound View Post
I too am considering a move to wilmington, nc. So far what's been written here sound pretty good. I want to move from Long Island to the southern east coast. Wilmington has come up. My big concern are the public schools. Are they good. How do they rate in comparison to the rest of the country?
they are not great. what NC does offer though is a great university system. in state tuition at top state schools like app. st., UNC, UNCW, NCST, ect. is peanuts. but public grade schools aren't great.

Old 09-21-2009, 06:51 PM

7 posts, read 21,548 times
Sunset Park would be my first choice. The houses are really cool; more space between the houses; closer to down town; closer to public pool for in the summer. Very nice community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina