Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2019, 08:48 PM

2 posts, read 1,997 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I have been reading some threads about Washington with interest.
I am toying with the idea of purchasing the building that used to be Hotel Louise and, if things do come to pass, I will need to choose between making it a hotel or apartments.
I understand the current population of Washington has increased significantly to 20,000 over the last few years (not sure if jobs are coming back there..?).
I also understand there is a vibrant tourist traffic to Washington (not sure if that is just summer or all year round).
I can talk to authorities and realtors and get their perspective but I would love to hear from people living in the area to get theirs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2019, 04:11 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,424,269 times
The town was flooded pretty badly during Hurricane Florence in September. Worth checking out before purchasing and moving.

https://www.wfmynews2.com/video/weat...-nc/83-8252627

Old 01-20-2019, 11:14 AM

1,810 posts, read 2,765,313 times
There's not too much discussion of Washington here. I'm about the only one who posts anything new about the town in the thread I started some time ago:

Washington, NC ~ A Perspective

While I'm sure Washington's population has gone up a tic since the last census, I highly doubt that it has doubled to twenty thousand. Downtown living, however, has increased significantly, mainly due to Moss Landing condos, which targets Northern retirees.

Downtown Washington has a slow, steady growth happening right now. It is by no means booming. It's kind of dead after 8 PM. Nearly all the foot traffic is on the waterfront walkway - folks out for a stroll or watching the sunset. They're not really spending money. There is indeed more activity in the warmer months.

If you're in it for the long haul, now is a good time to invest in downtown Washington, but if you need a quick return and don't have a cushion to hold you up, you could face hardship. The growth IS there, but it's more of one-shop or one-store or one-housing-at-a-time kind of additions. It's not like Greenville or Wilmington, where there's a half-dozen to a dozen projects going on at once. Washington targets the retirees who are attracted to real, real slow way of life. I think most people would actually be disappointed if downtown 'boomed' and it became flooded with people and cars. Having said that, Washingtonians do want a little more, and they do get a little more each year. The growth is a reflection of the lifestyle: Nice and slow.

And yeah, downtown Washington, being directly on the Pamlico River, will get some flooding when a hurricane comes barreling through. It's expected in a river town, part of the cost of doing business. The last flooding affected downtown business operations for maybe a week. Most businesses rebounded quickly and opened back up in days. For your hotel/apartments, you'd need to advise your tenants to not park in your lot during the storm and that they could be without power and be stuck inside for a day or so. If you do a hotel, advising or requiring your guests to leave might be a better option that being responsible for them during a hurricane or serious tropical storm.

Can't suggest whether you should go with a hotel or apartments. Downtown could use more of each. I do know that there is a new hotel already in the works, being planned above in the newly opened restaurant, The Hackney. Will rental apartments appeal to retirees or do they prefer buying condos? I don't know. But I do know that Moss Landing is running out of open real estate and will soon have nothing new to offer in downtown Washington living. I expect they'll be full by year's end. Might be a good time to pick up where they leave off...

Old 01-22-2019, 01:53 PM

2 posts, read 1,997 times
Thanks for the feedback - I will have to abandon the hotel idea as the renovation is in the millions, too rich for me.
I am now looking at another unit on Market which has retail space and has potential for apartments upstairs with a little work.
Phil - you are right in that everything is slow in Washington and I learned by talking to people there that the population is 11k not 20k (guess I should verify everything I read on the internet).

I am leaning towards AirBnb - I am thinking the 'tourist' factor may be stronger than local tenant needs.
Thanks for that titbit about Moss Landing filling up...

Old 01-22-2019, 04:59 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,765,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenerMeadows View Post
Thanks for the feedback - I will have to abandon the hotel idea as the renovation is in the millions, too rich for me.
I am now looking at another unit on Market which has retail space and has potential for apartments upstairs with a little work.
Phil - you are right in that everything is slow in Washington and I learned by talking to people there that the population is 11k not 20k (guess I should verify everything I read on the internet).

I am leaning towards AirBnb - I am thinking the 'tourist' factor may be stronger than local tenant needs.

Good luck!

Old 01-22-2019, 05:17 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,731,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenerMeadows View Post

A woman recently fixed up a small home in the Riverside Historic district of New Bern, down the street from us. Too far to walk downtown. She has it fixed up nice and is nearly booked solid with AirBNB. Most renters are 1 - 2 weeks while they are house hunting in and around New Bern. Don’t forget that type of client in addition to typical tourist!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina