U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 11:59 AM

3 posts, read 3,073 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to relocate to eastern NC next year. We currently live in the Northeast and have grown tired of the long and freezing winters. We are also avid sailors looking to fit more sailing months into our year.

Currently, we are looking at several areas and I'm hoping some locals could offer more detail as to real estate, climate, mosquito and flying insect advice, and jobs and taxes. We are considering area in the Albemarle Sound such as Elizabeth City & Edenton, but also further south in the areas of Oriental and New Bern. Lastly we've considered just outside of Beaufort or Morehead City. What would be the biggest differences between these areas?

We are looking for an area that it would be possible to purchase a couple of acres of land possibly with a boat dock for under 50K (planning on building). We don't mind being somewhat rural (big shopping not important) and in fact even prefer somewhere with a farmland feel. I am a nurse and so looking to live within 40 minutes of a hospital or medical center. Lastly, I understand that there are hot and humid months and mosquitos etc (we have them here as well), but just how bad is it and would any of the places listed above have more or lass of a bug problem? As residents what do you do to fight off the biting insects?

Thanks in advance for your advice
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2019, 12:53 PM

6,800 posts, read 6,578,648 times
The heat, humidity and bugs will be pretty much the same everywhere, and will depend more on very local issues than large area issues (i.e. standing water near your house will produce more mosquitoes).

I think getting 2 acres of land with a dock on deep enough water for a sailboat for $50K will be tough. Oriental and Edenton are very small and remote. Oriental is the sailing capital of the eastern US, from what I understand, so its certainly a good fit in that regard. I don't know where the nearest hospital is to Oriental, probably more than 30 minutes away. Edenton used to have a small hospital, I'm not sure if its still open. Many hospitals in small eastern NC towns are struggling mightily, and some have closed. Edenton is charming little town.

Morehead City/Beaufort is a larger area, with a huge summer tourism industry. There is a hospital there, and you can definitely be out in the country if you drive 30 minutes, but again, waterfront may not be in your price range. I don't now much about Elizabeth City. I think there is a hospital there, and hospitals in Norfolk or Chesapeake VA may be within commuting range.

Edit: Here is a 1.9 acre lot for $24,500 in a subdivision near Oriental that isn't waterfront, but it comes with a deeded boat slip in the neighborhood marina: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...nt#M6716762887

Last edited by BC1960; 01-31-2019 at 01:42 PM..

Old 01-31-2019, 03:19 PM
LLN

5,250 posts, read 10,143,329 times
There is a significant hospital (Carolina East Medical Center) with a lot of medical practices in New Bern. You could live down near Oriental and be just at 40 - 45 minutes.

I agree that a couple acres with deep water access will be tough. Your best bet may be community with access to docks as suggested above. There are marinas in both oriental and new Bern.

Good luck.

Old 01-31-2019, 04:26 PM

6,978 posts, read 5,913,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Edenton used to have a small hospital, I'm not sure if its still open.
It is.

https://www.vidanthealth.com/Locatio...howan-Hospital

Old 01-31-2019, 07:52 PM

12,872 posts, read 24,689,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsiegirl77 View Post
Lastly, I understand that there are hot and humid months and mosquitos etc (we have them here as well), but just how bad is it and would any of the places listed above have more or lass of a bug problem? As residents what do you do to fight off the biting insects?
The mosquitoes are bad, although they are less bad where the ocean breezes can be felt. You could have your land sprayed every three weeks during the season if you don't mind putting chemicals into the air and soil. Or you can cover your exposed skin with mosquito repellant. There is also mosquito-repellant clothing, but I have not tested it.

Old 02-01-2019, 12:53 AM

1,762 posts, read 2,521,752 times
Have you considered Beaufort County and the Pamlico River?

Old 02-01-2019, 07:31 AM

2,847 posts, read 4,351,359 times
Waterfront property in ENC is not cheap. There are routinely 300-400K houses on the waterfront, where a mile or two inland offers houses for $150k.

The reason is the "land value". Many times you have to spend over 100K for a waterfront lot. 50K may put you across the street from the water...maybe find a community that has dock access like Cypress Landing.

Also consider that available land to build is many times at a premium. You may want to just consider buying an existing house...there are more sellers than buyers at this point because many sellers are aging out of needing a big house. Many deals to be had out there. Finally, new construction costs are rising fast...and there are a limited amount of contractors/subs available in ENC, its a small market.

All signs point to not buying land and building and instead to buying an existing home.

Old 02-03-2019, 10:23 AM

12,721 posts, read 15,066,731 times
Also be aware that if you live waterfront flooding is a real concern. See New Bern or Belhaven in Hurricane Florence. The storm surge was incredible in the waterfront areas there. Do some research before you buy.

Old 02-03-2019, 10:33 AM

6,800 posts, read 6,578,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Also be aware that if you live waterfront flooding is a real concern. See New Bern or Belhaven in Hurricane Florence. The storm surge was incredible in the waterfront areas there. Do some research before you buy.
Considering the flooding potential is a good idea, however, it wasn't the storm surge that made Florence so damaging, it was the rainfall. The storm moved very slowly and dropped huge amounts of rain, which combined with an already record rainfall for the year to create epic flooding.

Old 02-06-2019, 08:35 AM

12,721 posts, read 15,066,731 times
It was storm surge in New Bern, though, wasn't it? If I recall correctly it started flooding there before Hurricane Florence even made landfall due to the wind pushing the water back up the river.

https://www.wral.com/weather/hurricanes/video/17841342/
https://www.wral.com/weather/hurricanes/video/17842098/
https://www.wavy.com/video/raw-video...545/1440835429
https://video.foxnews.com/v/5834926823001/
https://www.newsobserver.com/news/lo...218323475.html

Rainfall was also incredible, especially around Wilmington, but New Bern would have flooded even if Florence turned out to sea and never made landfall.

National Weather Service storm surge maps: https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/nationalsurge/

Last edited by poppydog; 02-06-2019 at 08:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina