Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 07:31 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Thats a good idea, but just so the OP knows, Belville Elementary isn't the school that St. James is zoned to, Southport Elementary is...here is the FB page for it: https://www.facebook.com/SouthportElemSchool/
Thanks, I just figured that out. I'd suggest they look for housing close to that school or Belville, whichever appeals. Belville Elementary School's web site looks like the kids have fun there. Southport look a little more academic, eg it has a chess club.

FWIW, Southport ES rates a 3 of 10 at GreatSchools.org, and Belville rates a 6 of 10. I know people criticize those ratings, but it is a quick measure of something. I would pick Belville if they were my kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2019, 05:35 AM

222 posts, read 218,551 times
s sucg,I say that because you are coming from a state with solid track record in education. NC is more checkered, and the coastal area even more so. I worked in education in the Triangle for 5 years and quit, and I worked at a highly ranked/rated elementary and high school. Just know that what you see here will be very, very different from what you have there in so many ways it would be difficult to list. Taxes pay for education and taxes here are a fraction of what you pay in the northeastern corridor. As such, what you get is what you pay for.

Old 03-14-2019, 07:56 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBeret View Post
Can any of you tell me about the schools in the area? Online, they don't rate as well as our current area but its hard to judge that without talking to people who's children are actually enrolled in these places.
Most of us on this forum are not parents of small kids. I'd say most of are retired or close to it. I'd suggest looking for FB or other social media sites geared toward parents.

FWIW, the Union Elementary School in Shallotte is rated a 9, but it gets a few negative reviews. One was negative about "teaching to the test", another about neglecting kids with IEP's. One positive is that they are well-financed, as the 2nd thru 5th graders have the use of Chromebooks (see their website). It is a longer commute to St. James (25 miles), so you would have to judge whether the school rating is that important.

Bolivia Elementary is rated a 3 and is about 10 miles to St. James. One thing to recommend about Bolivia is that the housing is cheaper than in Southport, and it might be easier to find young families with kids.

As I think kids should enjoy learning, rather than be pressured on test-taking, I am still leaning toward recommending Belville Elementary. Locating in that zone would have the advantage for the parents of being closer to the amenities in Wilmington.

Old 03-15-2019, 01:56 AM

2 posts, read 2,445 times
Ehh st James is not kid friendly. I have not seen a single child. I am one of the youngest people around there. The schools in south port are not that good, but NC doesn't have that many great schools in the first place

Old 03-15-2019, 10:16 AM

1,013 posts, read 724,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FabledTops View Post
Ehh st James is not kid friendly. I have not seen a single child. I am one of the youngest people around there. The schools in south port are not that good, but NC doesn't have that many great schools in the first place
It’s not unfriendly to kids, it’s simply that most of us are no longer raising young children. There’s a nice playground at Waterway Park and several activities for kids/grandkids throughout the year. When our grandson was little we visited the fire station and they were great. Seaside neighborhood has a pool designed for younger kids.

If top schools are a priority, Charlotte or the Raleigh-Durham area would be places to explore.

Old 06-03-2019, 07:44 AM

10 posts, read 15,419 times
Hi again!
So my children got into the charter school, the campus in Bolivia. We've looked into Winding River and RiverSea. Any other recommendations?

Old 06-03-2019, 08:58 AM

8,754 posts, read 5,042,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBeret View Post
Hi again!
So my children got into the charter school, the campus in Bolivia. We've looked into Winding River and RiverSea. Any other recommendations?
There is also Palmetto Creek in Bolivia, and a new small community, across from Winding River, called Avalon. Winding River has a beautiful beach house, on Holden Beach. Worth checking out. Good Luck!

Old 06-09-2019, 11:16 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassakitty View Post
Taxes pay for education and taxes here are a fraction of what you pay in the northeastern corridor. As such, what you get is what you pay for.
That is normally my line. People from higher taxed states often expect the same level of services in NC as from where they moved. Its all about the money taxed and spent!

Old 06-17-2019, 11:49 AM

10 posts, read 15,419 times
Thank you marcandme! I'll look into those as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina