Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 04:46 PM

10 posts, read 15,419 times

Advertisements

We're relocating from central New Jersey to the Wilmington area for my husband's new job. My father lives in Brunswick Forest so we've visited and checked out the areas surrounding him, but my husband's job is in St. James, which we don't have as much experience with. I know its 'close-ish' to Leland but I'm sure we'd prefer to be closer to his job. Plus, I've heard Southport's schools are supposed to be better than elsewhere.
My husband and I are in our mid-30's, with two elementary-school age children, so we're looking for good schools and family-friendly neighborhoods. Our house budget is in the 350-400k range.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2019, 05:13 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
I wouldn't live in St. James with elementary school children, as the average age of St. James is between 60 and 70 and there are virtually no children who live there.

Frankly, the entire Southport area skews towards retirees. I'd look at the Smithville Woods subdivision if I were you; there are more children there than any other area, except possibly Boiling Spring Lakes, but most of the houses there are way below your budget, and its further from SJP. Either that or live in Leland and have a 30 minute commute. But Brunswick Forest has the same demographics as SJP.

Old 03-09-2019, 05:58 AM

52 posts, read 78,797 times
Sure, they have Santa at the firehouse on top of a fire truck around Xmas and a Easter egg hunt and a small playground at one of our parks, but these things are mostly for the grandchildren visiting. I last heard there is approx 100-125 school age children here at SJP, don't know if more toward HS age or elementary age. Busses come thru every day. But activities for young ones are limited and the odds of anyone on your block having kids same age as yours for playing are slim to none so driving for drop offs and pick ups will part of your daily routine. Leland is definitely skewed younger and can make the trip here in 25 min. Haven't checked for young, new home developments in Leland but brand new gorgeous apartment complexes are opening left and right with every amenity you can imagine so maybe a year there while you scope out homes could be an option. Downside is moving the kids again. Good luck and any questions, just ask!

Old 03-10-2019, 08:58 AM

Thanks!
Would either of you recommend the Bolivia or Shallotte areas? My in-laws liked Winding River but I don't know a lot about it.

Old 03-10-2019, 10:33 AM

222 posts, read 218,551 times
You might want to consider private school.

Old 03-10-2019, 10:56 AM

300 posts, read 474,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBeret View Post
Thanks!
Would either of you recommend the Bolivia or Shallotte areas? My in-laws liked Winding River but I don't know a lot about it.

There are not a lot of families with small children in Winding River Plantation.

Old 03-11-2019, 10:29 AM

Sassakitty, why do you say that?

Old 03-11-2019, 10:31 AM

Can any of you tell me about the schools in the area? Online, they don't rate as well as our current area but its hard to judge that without talking to people who's children are actually enrolled in these places.

Old 03-11-2019, 07:07 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBeret View Post
Can any of you tell me about the schools in the area? Online, they don't rate as well as our current area but its hard to judge that without talking to people who's children are actually enrolled in these places.
You might look for a social media site about the elementary schools that interest you. Belville Elementary is fairly close to St. James. Its web site is here: https://www.bcswan.net/Domain/8

Old 03-11-2019, 07:15 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
You might look for a social media site about the elementary schools that interest you. Belville Elementary is fairly close to St. James. Its web site is here: https://www.bcswan.net/Domain/8
Thats a good idea, but just so the OP knows, Belville Elementary isn't the school that St. James is zoned to, Southport Elementary is...here is the FB page for it: https://www.facebook.com/SouthportElemSchool/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina