Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2021, 10:40 AM

34 posts, read 22,614 times

Advertisements

My family and I are looking at the Outer Banks, but have heard the waves can be crazy especially North. How are the waves down south? My mom has knee issues and Kure Beach this past summer really banged her up so we need something calmer. I've heard about the Crystal Coast and southern Brunswick County, but we are looking to go further so it feels like more of a vacation, but am open to anything. Open to South Carolina as well but really hoping to go to the OBX. We would be staying probably four or five days and am looking for a rental property beachside, and prefer the water to be as close to clear as possible and not brown. We are originally from Long Island also, now residing in the Raleigh suburbs. Thank you so much in advance!!

Last edited by singingshortie; 03-17-2021 at 11:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2021, 10:54 AM

3,408 posts, read 1,901,534 times
Most definitely check out Emerald Isle, NC! Quiet, peaceful, and a great beach for walking and playing. NC Aquarium nearby is a must-see also!

Old 03-17-2021, 05:04 PM

978 posts, read 673,115 times
Best of both worlds. Rent Soundside in Rodanthe. Pamlico sound water is calm.
The ocean depending on where in rodanthe might only be a 3 minute walk away.
Look at Midgette realty for rentals

How long have you been in Raleigh? I spent much time in eastern “Lawnguy Land”
We have been looking into the outer Raleigh area to retire. Fuquay-Varina etc.

Old 03-17-2021, 05:07 PM

119 posts, read 81,030 times
Emerald Isle and Bogue Banks in general are not really calm wave wise.The can be, but not more than 30-35% of the time. I have a second home there and have been visiting there for 45 years. I would recommend Ocean Isle or Sunset if that is a big concern.

Old 03-17-2021, 05:13 PM

231 posts, read 234,051 times
The beaches in Brunswick County face south, so the surf is smaller. Oak Island, Holden Beach, Ocean Isle Beach and Sunset Beach.

Old 03-17-2021, 07:01 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
The issue with Brunswick County beaches is that they are influenced/stirred up by the summer southwest wind. Sometime in June, the inland air heats up, rises and cooler (relatively) air over the ocean rushes in. It’s called a sea breeze. Delightful for vacation homes, but it does roil the surf a bit!

Old 04-09-2021, 12:05 PM

69 posts, read 62,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homestead123 View Post
Best of both worlds. Rent Soundside in Rodanthe. Pamlico sound water is calm.
The ocean depending on where in rodanthe might only be a 3 minute walk away.
Look at Midgette realty for rentals

How long have you been in Raleigh? I spent much time in eastern “Lawnguy Land”
We have been looking into the outer Raleigh area to retire. Fuquay-Varina etc.
I was just perusing this and saw your msg. I have been in Raleigh since 87. From DC area. What questions do you have ? Also you may want to post in rdu site on here. One out two msg are about someone wanting info on area.

Old 04-10-2021, 12:29 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,423,675 times
Surf can be strong at the Banks. The only way you'll know if you like it is to go. Most people rent homes for a week. You might be able to get a hotel room for a shorter stay. I have friends who have houses there. The report is it's busier than usual so reserve soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina