U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 08:24 AM

3,823 posts, read 6,489,170 times

Advertisements

Iconic Wilber's Barbecue in Goldsboro has closed. According to the News & Observer, the restaurant, opened in 1962, was "seized for nonpayment of taxes" by the NC Dept of Revenue.

https://www.newsobserver.com/living/...227844289.html

Hopefully they'll find an angel to help them pay off their liens and re-open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 08:33 AM

6,588 posts, read 3,938,553 times
Wow, that sucks. A lot of the old guard bbq joints are disappearing.

Old Today, 09:09 AM

4,085 posts, read 2,650,772 times
I grew up there and it was pretty tough for me when I first read about it. It was a great place years ago. However, when I last stopped by in 2017 for the first time in years while visiting a friend, I was shocked at how far downhill it went. The food was nowhere as good as it once was and the place itself was turning into a dump. It had a pretty bad roach problem, which was noted (among other things) during it’s last inspection. I still keep in touch with friends there and from what I’ve been told, a lot of people had stopped going there for the same reason. Personally, I don’t think it will ever re-open. Poor food and service combined with less traffic due to US-70 Bypass being built, I doubt Wilber’s would’ve lasted much longer even if taxes weren’t an issue.

All that being said, I will definitely miss Wilber’s. On the bright side, McCall’s BBQ & Seafood right down the road is pretty good. Locals have also been talking about Grady’s BBQ, which is out in the sticks near Dudley, though I don’t have firsthand experience since I’ve never set foot in there.

Old Today, 09:38 AM

4,085 posts, read 2,650,772 times
Looks like Wilber’s may be coming back after all, though I still think it will probably be short-lived if he does reopen.

https://www.newsargus.com/news/end-o..._medium=social

Last edited by LM117; Today at 09:49 AM..

Old Today, 08:03 PM

104 posts, read 33,467 times
Grady's is the ultimate BBQ joint. It's in the middle of nowhere, a faded white painted concrete building with a cooking pit next to it. It's small and can seat maybe 10-12 people. But it's rated by many as serving the best eastern style bbq in NC.

I'm like the others in seeing the decline in quality and cleanliness at Wilbur's. I stopped going there years ago, as have many others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or