Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2019, 02:02 PM

4 posts, read 4,108 times

Advertisements

Hey locals,

Looking to possibly relocate. 27 y.o, career in education, likes outdoor activities, with my dog, social scene (nightlife, breweries, etc.)

looking for smaller town/suburb, still vibrant, fun during off season, good place to live.
Can anyone give me recommendations of places on the coast that might come close to this?

I'm from upstate new york, so any advice is appreciative.

(I'm not worried about financials, happiness first)

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2019, 02:28 PM

275 posts, read 232,499 times
So you're planning on working as a teacher? Have you researched the current situation regarding teaching in NC? If not, you might want to do so.

That said, suggestions: Oak Island, Southport, Leland, Carolina Beach, Morehead City/Beaufort.

Old 05-01-2019, 06:46 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big John NC View Post
That said, suggestions: Oak Island, Southport, Leland, Carolina Beach, Morehead City/Beaufort.
Good suggestions, but the "fun and vibrant during the off-season" requirement may not be as exciting as he is expecting.

Where I live, the local bars have trivia nights, karaoke, darts tournaments, etc. Is that enough excitiment?

Old 05-02-2019, 05:37 AM

11 posts, read 33,971 times
N. Myrtle Beach, SC -- close to night life. Leland is a good suggestion, too.

Old 05-02-2019, 11:25 AM

300 posts, read 475,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Good suggestions, but the "fun and vibrant during the off-season" requirement may not be as exciting as he is expecting.

Where I live, the local bars have trivia nights, karaoke, darts tournaments, etc. Is that enough excitiment?

Agreed. Oak Island is very slow during the winter with most of the houses empty and Southport is fairly dull in the same period.

Old 05-02-2019, 12:29 PM

275 posts, read 232,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Purple 2 View Post
Agreed. Oak Island is very slow during the winter with most of the houses empty and Southport is fairly dull in the same period.
Strongly disagree. Oak Island has developed a fairly robust year around population now, and almost all businesses stay open through the winter. And Southport is far from dull in the winter. Lack of tourist crowds mean the locals get to truly enjoy their town. Many restaurants require a reservation in the winter, especially on the weekends, these days.

Of course, some people might think Southport is dull in the summer, lol. And thats fine. But the OP did ask for a "smaller town". I'll assume he/she knows the ramifications of that request.

Old 05-22-2019, 06:41 AM

10 posts, read 29,407 times
New Bern is a little off the coast, but perhaps close enough. Did you consider it at all? We are moving there at the end of this year...But are a different demographic

Old 05-22-2019, 06:59 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,731,477 times
Under the category of full disclosure, my 26 and 28 year old daughters detest New Bern, but I think that is unfair. The main downtown area has a lot going on. Just last weekend they had some kind of food festival. The local arts scene is vibrant and I’ll take New Bern’s non-chain restaurants compared to any town of 28,000.

The trip to Raleigh is quite easy now, in a couple of years the trip to the beach will be reduced significantly from the 45 to 50 minutes currently.

Craven County Schools are pretty good, with some excellent schools in the district.

Good luck.

Old 05-23-2019, 05:50 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times
New Hanover County has decent schools...I know quite a few people who teach there. My daughter is a 22 year old teacher and I think she would find plenty of life in the Wilmington area. It is not so big a city that you can't live in a suburb and enjoy all the amenities of downtown and the area. Plenty of great pubs, restaurants, bars, events and of course, beach activities. LIving here is fairly affordable.

I teach in Pender County which is mostly rural and not as attractive to younger teachers.

I lived for 17 years in the Binghamton NY area so IMHO anything is better than central NY!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina