Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 08:39 PM

50 posts, read 176,704 times

Advertisements

We are looking at houses in the following neighborhoods and have generated a short list of properties to look at next weekend.
- St James
- Ocean Ridge
- Winding River
- Rivers Edge
- Oyster Harbour

Looking for pros, cons, any info really on which is best (or worst) and why. We are in our early 40s, no kids-just dogs, don’t need a busy nightlife, love going out to eat, and relaxing. We are relocating from Chicago and any help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2019, 04:21 AM

275 posts, read 232,145 times
Is your boyfriend working in Calabash? Where are you working? I'd either live close to the jobs, or in the Leland area.

Old 05-10-2019, 05:27 AM

1,530 posts, read 2,415,635 times
You will be part of a small younger crowd at any one of these developments. Not familiar with Oyster Harbor but the rest are first class developments. Ocean Ridge is having developer issues.

Old 05-10-2019, 05:41 AM

52 posts, read 78,797 times
I am partial to St James as my wife and I live there and love it but we are 58 and 56 and are the youngest on our block and our group of friends. I would say you might be about 15 years too soon for St James. Not to say you can't have fun with baby boomers as a Gen X couple, lol, but it doesn't hurt to look. Problem is you will fall in love with the beauty and amenities of the place. Good luck, any questions, shoot a PM.

Old 05-10-2019, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big John NC View Post
Is your boyfriend working in Calabash? Where are you working? I'd either live close to the jobs, or in the Leland area.
He says he would prefer not to live in Calabash and we decided to live somewhere between Calabash and Bolivia. Leland was too far for the drive. I will be taking the year off from work to help get us settled in.

Old 05-10-2019, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nysteve661 View Post
I am partial to St James as my wife and I live there and love it but we are 58 and 56 and are the youngest on our block and our group of friends. I would say you might be about 15 years too soon for St James. Not to say you can't have fun with baby boomers as a Gen X couple, lol, but it doesn't hurt to look. Problem is you will fall in love with the beauty and amenities of the place. Good luck, any questions, shoot a PM.
Thanks for the feedback! It sounds like almost anywhere we will be too young. Haha. We do act like we are retired though....so that might help us fit in more. I may be sending you a private message over the weekend seeking more info! A majority of the houses on our list were in St James.

Old 05-10-2019, 06:35 AM

275 posts, read 232,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalysa19 View Post
He says he would prefer not to live in Calabash and we decided to live somewhere between Calabash and Bolivia. Leland was too far for the drive. I will be taking the year off from work to help get us settled in.
Two issues with St. James: Depending on where you are in the very large development, it can take 15 minutes or more just to out to the highway. Plus, the state is about to start a 2 year widening project of Hwy. 211 which is going to cause major traffic issues. Some of that can be avoided by using the Middleton Road exists/entrances, but it will still cause some issues with his commute.

I'd look at north Myrtle Beach.

Old 05-10-2019, 02:10 PM

27 posts, read 28,975 times
Did you look in Lockwood Folly Country Club? It’s not too far from Oyster Harbor off Stone Chimney. It’s a gorgeous development, often overlooked since it’s off the main drag. There are a lot of older folks but there are some families in 30-50.

Old 05-11-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse1961 View Post
Did you look in Lockwood Folly Country Club? It’s not too far from Oyster Harbor off Stone Chimney. It’s a gorgeous development, often overlooked since it’s off the main drag. There are a lot of older folks but there are some families in 30-50.
We have not looked there yet, but will definitely keep it on our radar. I don't think any properties have shown up in the MLS searches. Do you know anything about Oyster Harbor?

Old 05-11-2019, 07:16 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalysa19 View Post
Do you know anything about Oyster Harbor?
There is an old article about Oyster Harbour suing delinquent landowners. https://www.starnewsonline.com/news/...rbour-lawsuits

The suit may not be anything to worry about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina