Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 02:23 PM

116 posts, read 532,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
working odd hours will help, but you would be surprised at what it looks like during rush hour. it looks a lot like I-66. I am from right outside DC too.
I fully agree. At one point, I considered moving over the bridge but am now very happy that I did not. The morning traffic into Wilmington from Brunswick County can be very ugly. As someone who has become used to the lack of 'serious' traffic in the Wilmington area, I think I would have been doubly frustrated knowing that I moved to place that came with a built in daily traffic jam. If/when they complete the new lower CF bridge, that should help alleviate the problem...but we are probably talking at least 8 years out.

And before I get slammed by some who say the traffic here is awful...I just don't see it that way. My perspective tells me that the traffic conditions in the Wilmington area are very manageable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 03:14 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,845,782 times
agreed. as someone who has lived here for a while, if you hit traffic, you can take side roads and avoid it for the most part. the traffic here is no better or worse than most places. it's all relative. when I compare wilmington to DC, it's based on scale. the reason traffic is so bad in DC is because of sprawl. yeah, if you live in woodbridge and have to commute to tysons corner, traffic is going to SUCK! you will be in your car for an hour, however you will have traveled 25 miles. if you live in leland, it might take you 30 minutes to get to work in wilmington, however, you will have traveled 13 miles. DC is much more spread out. the moral of the story, live very close to where you work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachLiving View Post
I fully agree. At one point, I considered moving over the bridge but am now very happy that I did not. The morning traffic into Wilmington from Brunswick County can be very ugly. As someone who has become used to the lack of 'serious' traffic in the Wilmington area, I think I would have been doubly frustrated knowing that I moved to place that came with a built in daily traffic jam. If/when they complete the new lower CF bridge, that should help alleviate the problem...but we are probably talking at least 8 years out.

And before I get slammed by some who say the traffic here is awful...I just don't see it that way. My perspective tells me that the traffic conditions in the Wilmington area are very manageable.

Old 04-18-2008, 06:52 PM

5 posts, read 12,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McKendan View Post
I'm not familiar with any of those neighborhoods, but I live in Leland in Mallory Creek. I feel like you can get more for your money in Leland than in Wilmington and it is much less crowded. I work in downtown Wilmington and am only about 10 minutes from work. I hope you get the answers you are looking for...either way, welcome!!

we actually just looked around in Mallory Creek last night. I think we're going to check out some houses there too. It's looks like a really nice neighborhood. Are there a lot of young people?

Old 04-18-2008, 11:06 PM

450 posts, read 2,320,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnzharris View Post
Yea, I keep hearing about the traffic going over that bridge. My husband and I both work in Wilmington, but we work odd hours so hopefully we wouldn't have to deal with it too often. Also, we're from right outside of DC so I'm thinking that it's not anything like what we've dealt with in the past. Thanks though!
My husband commutes from Southern Brunswick County (what, 25-30 minutes south of Leland?), and crosses the bridge every day. He's accustomed to Charlotte NC traffic and commutes and he's been fine so far. He's been doing it for 6 months, he drives in from 6:45 to be at work at 8. (People who have always lived around here are put off by that, but from Charlotte, he's just used to it, it's just the way it is there). He leaves at 5 and gets home by 6.

Myself, I'd prefer to work in Brunswick County and not have to cross that bridge (or drive so far) everyday- I did it in Charlotte too, and I got tired of it.

I do think Leland is a nice area, and this is just my own preference but I would live in Brunswick County any day rather than move into New Hanover--just my opinion. I like it more rural anyway. Some people call southern Brunswick County an armpit but I LOVE IT. If it's an armpit, whatever, I am totally happy!

If I worked in Wilmington and was considering New Hanover as well as Leland, I would at least take a closer look at what I could find in Wilmington I guess...I still think I'd probably go to Leland. Honestly, the bridge may not be desirable and can be a real problem if it's open or there's a wreck, but in 6 months my husband has not had a problem. He expects to eventually, but it does not seem to be a regular thing in the sense of being something that's going to cause him to be late for work several times in a row....

Old 04-21-2008, 02:14 PM

39 posts, read 166,375 times
We nearly bought in Leland when we moved here. I am glad we chose Hampstead instead. Traffic isn't nearly as bad as coming from Leland into Wilmington.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:21 AM

450 posts, read 2,320,919 times
My husband (who's from this area in the first place) says that Hampstead is a very nice area, too. If we weren't given some of the family land in South Brunswick he'd wanted to look at houses in that area too. FWIW.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:50 AM

39 posts, read 166,375 times
I don't blame you one bit. Free land!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina