U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2019, 06:03 AM

2,266 posts, read 5,735,107 times

Advertisements

Ok then. How about this walkability score?

https://www.walkscore.com/score/morehead-city-nc

Beaufort is a little more bikeable but still not something that I'd want to do.

https://www.walkscore.com/score/beaufort-nc

When I think of walkability I think about how close things are. The nearest real grocery store to the center of the residential district in Beaufort is a Piggly Wiggly a mile away and there's a Food Lion 2 miles away. The nearest movie theater is 7.3 miles. The nearest hospital is 6 miles (Carteret Health). The nearest Lowes Home Improvement is almost 10 miles. The nearest DMV (for that state ID card, even if you don't need a license) is 10 miles.

That's an awful lot of walking.

You can absolutely vacation in those places without a car, but once the daily needs of full time living start happening, you will wish you had a car.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2019, 08:54 AM

2,064 posts, read 1,339,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Ok then. How about this walkability score?

https://www.walkscore.com/score/morehead-city-nc

Beaufort is a little more bikeable but still not something that I'd want to do.

https://www.walkscore.com/score/beaufort-nc

When I think of walkability I think about how close things are. The nearest real grocery store to the center of the residential district in Beaufort is a Piggly Wiggly a mile away and there's a Food Lion 2 miles away. The nearest movie theater is 7.3 miles. The nearest hospital is 6 miles (Carteret Health). The nearest Lowes Home Improvement is almost 10 miles. The nearest DMV (for that state ID card, even if you don't need a license) is 10 miles.

That's an awful lot of walking.

You can absolutely vacation in those places without a car, but once the daily needs of full time living start happening, you will wish you had a car.
Which is exactly why I said this is my first post:

"I wouldn't say it would be impossible, but it certainly won't be easy." and "...you'll need most likely some other form of transportation (than walking) to the grocery store, doctor, dry cleaner, etc."

Old 09-22-2019, 09:44 AM

29 posts, read 30,293 times
All I want to know is, where did he end up?

We all know this would not be an easy task in either Morehead or Beaufort.

Old 09-23-2019, 06:16 AM

211 posts, read 214,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqznby View Post
All I want to know is, where did he end up?

We all know this would not be an easy task in either Morehead or Beaufort.
Assuming post #20 in this thread is accurate, the answer would be St. Petersburg FL
St Petersberg without a car safe to live?

Old 09-23-2019, 02:24 PM

29 posts, read 30,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrighterDays View Post
Assuming post #20 in this thread is accurate, the answer would be St. Petersburg FL
St Petersberg without a car safe to live?
Thanks

Huh, he started that thread one day before this thread.

I guess he wasn't that much in love with Morehead/Beaufort after all

Looks like he's got his hands full, hope it works out for him.

Old 10-16-2019, 08:46 AM

35 posts, read 29,523 times
I still havent decided... moving to any place without a car sucks and is overwhelming, it would seem New Bern next door to Moorehead looks pretty walk friendly based on sidewalks on maps, but it is rather far from beach and i heard it has a “lowtide smell” which makes me gag (cant stand mold or mildew smell i get sick). New bern is very cheap living though, so i could easily save for a car there however.

Old 10-16-2019, 11:10 AM

12,666 posts, read 14,865,987 times
I don't think anywhere along the coast is practical w/o access to a vehicle for hurricane evacuations. New Bern has suffered a lot with flooding during Hurricane Florence.

Old 10-18-2019, 03:05 PM

1,681 posts, read 5,789,503 times
I have lived in Morehead City for the past 15 years. Carteret County has been my home since 1984. Morehead City has public transportation available. See link below.
Morehead also has a sidewalk that runs east/west through town from 4th Street downtown all the way out 5 miles to the intersection of Hwys. 24/70. For the most part Morehead is a peninsula so there isn't too much north/south, but there is a sidewalk from the main road Hwy/70/Arendell St. that runs north up 20th street. It is highly feasible to be able to walk to work, store, church, etc. Obviously it all depends where the job is and where your home is.
I can tell you though, rentals may present a problem. The Morehead housing market is very good, about a 4-5 month supply. This effects rentals too. If you can find something available it may be a bit more pricey than what folks are accustomed to.
By the way, Carteret County school system was just ranked number one in the state by the NC State Board of Education. See link below.
Hope this helps.
God Bless!
Bill

https://www.carteretcountync.gov/132...Transportation
https://www.wnct.com/news/carteret-c...nk-1-in-state/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina