U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2019, 09:57 AM

35 posts, read 29,288 times

Advertisements

So I fell in love with Beaufort and Atlantic Beach, after a painful divorce I want to start over there, I wont have car for awhile so i wanted to know if its doable on foot (i dont mind walking 2 miles to work) since i cant ride bike. My memory is fuzzy as i havent been there in 3 years... Also wanted to know if its easy to date there since population is so low? Like the song goes “ I need a pretty little homegrown hometown girl...” And finally, is it overcast most of year or sunny (I suffer major winter depression so too much clouds/rain arent my thing)? Thanks so much for advice!

Last edited by epiultra; 08-16-2019 at 09:58 AM.. Reason: Typo
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2019, 11:04 AM

2,064 posts, read 1,334,889 times
You mentioned MC and Beaufort in your thread title, but Beaufort and AB in your post. Are you asking about all 3? I wouldn't say it would be impossible, but it certainly won't be easy. One big factor is where you'll be working. Work at a restaurant or hotel? You'd probably have a pretty good chance of finding something in MC or Beaufort, harder on AB. Work at the hospital in MC? You might find somewhere to live in MC within walking distance, but Beaufort and AB are too far away. There aren't a whole lot of non-service sector jobs in the area.

Really, until you know where your job is, its impossible to determine if there is anywhere to live within walking distance. And you may have a hard time finding anything within your price range that close to the tourist/historic areas. Plus, you'll need most likely some other form of transportation to the grocery store, doctor, dry cleaner, etc.

Old 08-16-2019, 12:08 PM

35 posts, read 29,288 times
I want to rent a room in Morehead City since most jobs would be there... or if lucky enough in Beaufort, but I know hardly any jobs are in Beaufort... such a charming place!

Old 09-01-2019, 02:54 PM

29 posts, read 30,190 times
Do you have a job lined up?
If so, where about would it be?

Old 09-02-2019, 02:07 PM

2,266 posts, read 5,726,236 times
Eastern Carolina is extremely car centric. Nothing is near anything. There's a lot to see and do but it requires an auto to do it. I suggest finding that girlfriend and quick. Make sure she has a car.

Cloudy and gloomy is not how to describe the weather. It can get a bit cloudy during the winter but the mild temperatures make up for that. Hazy, hot and humid best describes the summers. The summers last too long for some people. Spring and Fall are devoid of any spectacular colors or odors. It's more of a temperature change than anything else. There are deciduous trees but they need a good freeze to create good colors in Fall. The leaves turn brown and fall off.

Old 09-02-2019, 02:25 PM

12,661 posts, read 14,834,749 times
They are evacuating the Outer Banks of NC right now. How would you evacuate w/o a car? Seems like a bad idea to move there w/o the ability to get out if a hurricane comes.

Old 09-02-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Eastern Carolina is extremely car centric. Nothing is near anything. There's a lot to see and do but it requires an auto to do it. I suggest finding that girlfriend and quick. Make sure she has a car.

Cloudy and gloomy is not how to describe the weather. It can get a bit cloudy during the winter but the mild temperatures make up for that. Hazy, hot and humid best describes the summers. The summers last too long for some people. Spring and Fall are devoid of any spectacular colors or odors. It's more of a temperature change than anything else. There are deciduous trees but they need a good freeze to create good colors in Fall. The leaves turn brown and fall off.
"Eastern NC" isn't the same thing as "Morehead City/Beaufort".

Old 09-02-2019, 11:46 PM

2,266 posts, read 5,726,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
I drive all over Eastern Carolina on a daily basis including Morehead City and Beaufort. I've never seen an overabundance of taxis or city buses in either town. Greenville and presumably Wilmington are the only places with more than one or two ferry buses. A ferry bus is a bus that is really more like a taxi than a bus. You call them, they tell you when the bus will be in your area, and arrange for them to pick you up. Mor'Trans| Federated Transportation Services of the Bluegrass

Greenville has a fairly robust bus system owing to there being so many college students. Greenville actually has 2 bus systems in addition to the before mentioned ferry buses. The City of Greenville runs bus routes as does the college, ECU.

Neither Morehead City or Beaufort operate buses.

Old 09-03-2019, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
I drive all over Eastern Carolina on a daily basis including Morehead City and Beaufort. I've never seen an overabundance of taxis or city buses in either town. Greenville and presumably Wilmington are the only places with more than one or two ferry buses. A ferry bus is a bus that is really more like a taxi than a bus. You call them, they tell you when the bus will be in your area, and arrange for them to pick you up. Mor'Trans| Federated Transportation Services of the Bluegrass

Greenville has a fairly robust bus system owing to there being so many college students. Greenville actually has 2 bus systems in addition to the before mentioned ferry buses. The City of Greenville runs bus routes as does the college, ECU.

Neither Morehead City or Beaufort operate buses.
Walking, bicycle, Uber, Lyft. Depending on exactly where one works, one might be able get around MC and Beaufort for the most part if one were careful/lucky. But my real point is that "eastern NC" is irrelevant as the OP didn't ask about living in eastern NC, he asked about live in MC or Beaufor. And eastern NC covers a lot of territory. Wilmington is very different from Fairmont, MC is very different from Ivanhoe, Greenville is very different from Red Springs, etc. Making blanket statements about eastern NC in this context is meaningless.

Old 09-21-2019, 07:04 AM

29 posts, read 30,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
I agree. The OP did not say Eastern NC he specifically asked for Morehead and Beaufort.

epiultra, any updates?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina