Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 09:43 PM

676 posts, read 3,067,124 times

Advertisements

We went to North Topsail beach last year, but it is pretty much eroding away so we thought we would try a new spot this summer. We are from southern CA and have only lived in NC for 2 years, so pretty much all of our information about NC beaches has been from the internet. We are thinking about reserving a beach house on Carolina Beach, but someone just told us it is known as "Redneck Beach." We have a toddler and want something mellow, quiet and not built up like Myrtle Beach. Has our internet research pointed us in the right direction with Carolina Beach??? It seemed perfect until I heard about its slang nickname!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 05:37 AM

12 posts, read 49,451 times
I'm sure you will get lots of responses to your question. My family has been to Carolina Beach for summer vacation and found it to be very family friendly. Kid friendly restaurants, ice cream shops, playgrounds, movies on the lake, etc. There were lots of families with young children at the condo we stayed at. We were right on the beach and they were often out in the morning collecting sea shells and jumping in the surf. You may hear a lot about Holden Beach also. I have never been there, but have heard it is a good place for family vacations. Have fun!

Old 04-18-2008, 08:06 AM

17 posts, read 101,792 times
if you're from Southern Cali, and have lived in NC for 2 years, then you should have already experienced our redneck phenomenom and it really shouldn't be a problem for you at CB.
You can also see rednecks at Topsail, Wrightsville (occasionally), Holden, Oak Island, Ocean Isle, and Sunset Beach.

It's even possible to spot rednecks at Figure 8. Rest assured, they're only there temporarily as they've boated over for the day, because they certainly can't afford to stay on the island....

Old 04-18-2008, 02:12 PM

676 posts, read 3,067,124 times
Cape Fear, your response was pretty funny and put me in my place!!! I guess it sounded kind of snobby of me. I was just surprised to hear about a beach being called Redneck beach and then I started to worry that it meant Carolina Beach might not be a mellow, child friendly, family spot and more of a party beach.

Old 04-18-2008, 03:11 PM

116 posts, read 531,396 times
Actually, in years past it was referred to as the Redneck Riviera. As someone who moved to Wilmington from the DC area and then to Carolina Beach, I can tell you that it is no longer a 'redneck' beach. Yes there are some people that may fall into the category but for the most part, the people here are wonderful and down to earth. It is a very family oriented Island and there are always kids out on the streets playing or riding their bikes.

As for a family vacation, CB (or Kure Beach) is a great place because that are such varied activities available. The biking opportunities are absolutely wonderful and you can take some nice hikes at Carolina Beach State Park or at Fort Fisher. You can also take in the Aquarium and grab the ferry to Southport for the day. If you do, head up to Orton Plantation to spot a few alligators...that is always a big hit with kids.

All in all, CB is in a period of transition. The town is moving forward and there has been a tremendous effort by volunteers and business people to put a much needed face lift on the boardwalk area. I can tell you that the change is very noticeable...you've never seen so many palm trees and brightly painted planters & buildings. In the near future, we'll see the Hilton Garden Inn and Marriott Fairfield Inn begin construction. With those two projects underway, I fully suspect that we'll see a major redo of the entire boardwalk area. But for now, with the current Boardwalk Makeover Effort, it is an appealing place to walk around with your family and enjoy the many little shops and eateries.

I maintain a website that outlines some of the activities on Pleasure Island. There are quite a few pictures of the boardwalk area and the town in general. Hopefully, they might help you with your decision.

Best of luck with your vacation search!

Carolina Beach Today

Last edited by BeachLiving; 04-18-2008 at 04:37 PM..

Old 04-18-2008, 04:35 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,789,306 times
I can't remember a time when I went to a beach and didn't see a redneck! the reason that it probably has this stigma attached to it is because the rich people at wrightsville beach gave it to them! carolina beach is much more commercial with lots for a family to do. movie theater, aquarium, and ft. fisher.

Old 04-18-2008, 06:15 PM
JJM

61 posts, read 236,496 times
I HIGHLY recommend that you consider going to Holden Beach. It is very family friendly and quiet. There are some nice spots for dining, minature golf, go-carts, etc. but the beach itself is lovely and spacious. The houses are far enough apart that it doesn't get crowded and yet there are always little ones scurrying about hunting shells, turtles, sand crabs, etc. We've vacationed there for many years and can recommend Hobbs Realty to help you find a home to rent. There are no hotels that I know of but the houses are nice. The only thing about renting a house is that you have to bring more stuff with you like sheets, towels, toilet paper, and paper towels (consumables). Good luck with your search!

Old 05-17-2008, 04:17 PM

6 posts, read 48,596 times
Default Still Curious

Thank you for the information. I am a professional African-American and have a friend who is white, who recently rented a house on Carolina Beach. My friend insists that I move down there and stay at her house. I must admit the offer is tempting. However, after reading some of these reactions (including yours) I am feeling not very sure and rather uncomfortable. I was considering looking for a position in Wilmington and staying on Carolina Beach. My husband is also white, is this not a wise move for us? I am marketable and could move most any place else. Thanks in advance for your opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachLiving View Post
Actually, in years past it was referred to as the Redneck Riviera. As someone who moved to Wilmington from the DC area and then to Carolina Beach, I can tell you that it is no longer a 'redneck' beach. Yes there are some people that may fall into the category but for the most part, the people here are wonderful and down to earth. It is a very family oriented Island and there are always kids out on the streets playing or riding their bikes.

As for a family vacation, CB (or Kure Beach) is a great place because that are such varied activities available. The biking opportunities are absolutely wonderful and you can take some nice hikes at Carolina Beach State Park or at Fort Fisher. You can also take in the Aquarium and grab the ferry to Southport for the day. If you do, head up to Orton Plantation to spot a few alligators...that is always a big hit with kids.

All in all, CB is in a period of transition. The town is moving forward and there has been a tremendous effort by volunteers and business people to put a much needed face lift on the boardwalk area. I can tell you that the change is very noticeable...you've never seen so many palm trees and brightly painted planters & buildings. In the near future, we'll see the Hilton Garden Inn and Marriott Fairfield Inn begin construction. With those two projects underway, I fully suspect that we'll see a major redo of the entire boardwalk area. But for now, with the current Boardwalk Makeover Effort, it is an appealing place to walk around with your family and enjoy the many little shops and eateries.

I maintain a website that outlines some of the activities on Pleasure Island. There are quite a few pictures of the boardwalk area and the town in general. Hopefully, they might help you with your decision.

Best of luck with your vacation search!

Carolina Beach Today

Old 05-17-2008, 05:19 PM

22 posts, read 97,611 times
I think of CB as redneck, too. I guess part of it is because you can drive on the beach and sometimes there are a lot of big trucks and beer!

Wrightsville Beach seems to have an erosion problem, too. There are a lot of steep cliffs to go down to get to the water in a lot of places. You might try any of the Brunswick Co. beaches...sunset, holden, ocean isle.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:50 PM

424 posts, read 1,286,737 times
You won't have any direct problems being black living in Carolina Beach. In fact, many black families come to Carolina Beach during the summer to vacation. You will not run into many other black folks while living here though. In fact, I have lived here for three years and never met a black person that lives here.

The North End is redneck. More Rebel flags on pick-up trucks then anywhere I have ever seen.

However, the common folks on the island are educated, often own a business or are self-contracted, and are very involved in the progress of the island.

The drive to Wilmington over 3 years has started to wear on me. It doesn't seem far, only about 15 miles to downtown, but after you do that for three years it can be a bit much. Especially since it's 25 minutes to go 15 miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina