U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2019, 11:44 AM

40 posts, read 89,774 times

Advertisements

We looked at retiring to New Bern a few years ago. Life stepped in and my sister was diagnosed with breast cancer. She is doing very well, cancer free, and our search is on again.

We are open to the three historic districts in New Bern. We also love River Bend. We plan to purchase by end of year or early 2020.

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to bicycle to downtown New Bern from River Bend? We have great electric recumbent bikes and would love to get around using them as often as possible.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2019, 11:51 AM

169 posts, read 137,372 times
Highway 17/MLK Blvd from River Bend to New Bern is a very busy, heavily traveled highway. There is little to no shoulder and no bike lanes. I have seen cyclists on this stretch of roadway, but I would not feel comfortable doing so.

Even within the city limits New Bern does not have a great system for bicycling. However if I was looking for a neighborhood for cycling to downtown I would choose the historic district 100% of the time over River Bend.

Old 10-26-2019, 11:53 AM

40 posts, read 89,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrighterDays View Post
Highway 17/MLK Blvd from River Bend to New Bern is a very busy, heavily traveled highway. There is little to no shoulder and no bike lanes. I have seen cyclists on this stretch of roadway, but I would not feel comfortable doing so.

Even within the city limits New Bern does not have a great system for bicycling. However if I was looking for a neighborhood for cycling to downtown I would choose the historic district 100% of the time over River Bend.
Thanks very much. Exactly what I needed to know.

Old 10-26-2019, 07:16 PM
LLN

5,027 posts, read 8,954,917 times
In case you have lingering thoughts, that is a very busy stretch with lots of retail (lots of traffic turning). I think, while possible, it would be pretty dangerous, and very nerve wracking.

Old 10-27-2019, 05:20 PM

53 posts, read 76,810 times
Many people bike and walk in River Bend as it is a very safe area, not much traffic. Very few bikers venture out onto 17.

Old 10-27-2019, 08:39 PM

20,665 posts, read 18,482,645 times
If you still plan on Riverbend, beware that many homes there flooded during Florence. And yes there absolutely no way I would bicycle from Riverbend to downtown. If you wish to bike to downtown, live in downtown.

Old 10-30-2019, 10:53 AM

26 posts, read 17,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
In case you have lingering thoughts, that is a very busy stretch with lots of retail (lots of traffic turning). I think, while possible, it would be pretty dangerous, and very nerve wracking.
Hi all,

We have no lingering thoughts

We spotted a home in the 1800 block of Tryon Road that looks like it may be a good fit for us. If we decide to go forward, I will fly down next week.

When we were previously in New Bern, we did not look at this area. We kept our looking even closer to downtown.

Any thoughts on the Tryon Road area? I like the older homes, large yards. We would plan to do some reno to make the home how we want.

I appreciate it.

Thanks, Karen

Old 10-30-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMaine View Post
Many people bike and walk in River Bend as it is a very safe area, not much traffic. Very few bikers venture out onto 17.

Thanks. My sister wants to be closer to downtown if we cant bike. I appreciate it.

Old 10-30-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
If you still plan on Riverbend, beware that many homes there flooded during Florence. And yes there absolutely no way I would bicycle from Riverbend to downtown. If you wish to bike to downtown, live in downtown.
We did see that. Even though some of the flooded homes are totally redone, the flood insurance is way high. We are looking closer o downtown.

Thanks.

Old 10-31-2019, 08:31 AM
LLN

5,027 posts, read 8,954,917 times
A home on Tryon is probably in the DeGraffenried Park Historic District. New Bern has several of these historical districts. PLEASE make sure that any renovations you wish to make will be permitted.

I think DeGraffenried is well thought of. Bicycling to downtown would be infinitely preferable to doing so from Riverbend.

We live in the Riverside Historical District and have found the myriad of rules (and expense) for renovations are excessive. You may well be fine, but make sure that what you wish to do is permissible.

For instance, my initial choice for shingles, when we re-roofed our house, was denied for having “too much contrast.” I ended up having to go to Historical (Hysterical) Preservation Council and point out that a new, large home in another historic district had the exact, same shingles. My choice was ultimately approved after pointing out the glaring contradiction.

Just to represent my homies, Riverside is easily within biking range of downtown New Bern. You just need to be on a higher elevation. Many of the homes right on the river are vulnerable to flooding! Many of the homes are smaller, but there are large homes on National Avenue that might fit your needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or