U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 09:39 AM

54 posts, read 204,881 times

Advertisements

Hello!! Well, I know there's a ton of posts on here asking about the Wilmington area, and from reading those I have a pretty good idea of the place.. me and my husband have also visited. So, I have a new strange question. Me and my husband would like to re-locate to Wilmington this summer (jobs are NOT an issue for us so don't worry about that aspect). Well, I am from the north and am not used to such open sky haha, and I was wondering if there's anyone on here who knows the neighborhoods very well.. we're looking for a house to rent and I want a *TREE LINED* block. (And i'm not looking for a forest or woods for a backyard.. this is for in front of the house) And I'm not talking about those tiny starter trees that were just planted in new developments and will someday in 40 years grow up to be huge trees.. I'm talking about BIG real trees. I've seen a bunch of houses on craigslist in Wilmington but everything seems like the blocks are vast open fields.. no trees, or just little ones. Does anyone know if there are blocks/neighborhoods like this in Wilmington? or even know what I'm talking about? Oh and preferably closer to Wrightsville beach rather than Carolina beach.. I don't like it over there. That would be most helpful thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 10:33 AM

8,575 posts, read 6,351,543 times
I would look for a house in forest hills. I love that neighborhood. nice big older homes, close to downtown, and the trees are my favorite part of it!

Old 04-20-2008, 10:52 AM

Forest Hills hmm I heard it's a nice area.. I will definitely try to look for rentals in that area, thanks so much! =]

Old 04-20-2008, 11:20 AM

sure. I would check craigs list or something. most of the houses there are very large. I am not sure if they have a lot of rentals, but it's worth a look. I am totally with ya on the tree lined street thing, I bought my house for that very same reason! I dislike all the clear cutting they do when they build new houses!

Old 04-20-2008, 11:32 AM

is that where you live, Forest Hills? or is there another nice neighborhood you're keeping a secret?? haha

Old 04-20-2008, 12:13 PM

i live in an area called chestnut heights. it is closer to the crime, but i love living here and have had no problems.

Old 04-21-2008, 05:52 AM

122 posts, read 429,226 times
Part of the problem is that for years the new neighborhood developers were allowed to clear-cut the land and remove any semblence of vegetation. To get property with big trees remaining, follow the advice from the previous posters and focus on the older central parts of the city, which includes the Chestnut Heights, Carolina Heights, Forest Hills/Live Oak areas, Devon Park, Summer Hill/Sunset Park, and Pine Valley. Also, look at east of S. College Rd, like Eagles Nest and Holly Tree areas (across from Pine Valley).

Old 04-21-2008, 09:45 AM

4,597 posts, read 10,427,865 times
There are many areas with beautiful tree-lined streets. Any of the areas in/around Forest Hills should appeal to you. You can go several streets over from Forest Hills, and find more modest homes, but still attractive and most are in good shape, with nice trees and mature plantings.

Chestnut Heights is also a lovely area -- I grew up on the one short block of Grace Street that is bounded by 19th Street at one end, and the Hebrew Cemetery at the other. I know there are a few homes for sale in the area, but am not sure about rentals. The large yellow house at the corner of 19th and Chestnut is a rental, with two large apartments in it -- one up, and one down. The owner lives directly across the street, and he/she may be in a position to let you know what may be available in the neighborhood.

Good luck in your search. Perhaps you can find one of the real estate companies that also deals in rental properties.

The newer the area, the less likely you will find mature trees. Anything older than say, 1990s, may be a good bet. Not all new areas were clear-cut but a lot of them were. Ordinances have been in place since then, in an effort to maintain the more mature trees, but even still, hurricanes often damage the old trees, and necessitate taking them down. Not many, but some.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:40 PM

414 posts, read 1,152,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeager9 View Post
Part of the problem is that for years the new neighborhood developers were allowed to clear-cut the land and remove any semblence of vegetation. To get property with big trees remaining, follow the advice from the previous posters and focus on the older central parts of the city, which includes the Chestnut Heights, Carolina Heights, Forest Hills/Live Oak areas, Devon Park, Summer Hill/Sunset Park, and Pine Valley. Also, look at east of S. College Rd, like Eagles Nest and Holly Tree areas (across from Pine Valley).
I agree with you.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:47 AM

5 posts, read 36,024 times
uhhh, hope you are stinking rich. if so, good good go to forest hills. CONSIDER checking out Sunset Park area... the trees are amazing and the houses are charming. Forest Hills is a lil to extravagant for my taste. I like the older, small town feel of Sunset Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina