U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-21-2020, 09:49 AM
 
2,064 posts, read 994,183 times
Reputation: 2096

Advertisements

I actually find Wilmington to be very easy to navigate, as you only need to know a few main streets...Market, Oleander, College and Eastwood. Virtually everything can be accessed from those. But then again, I am smarter than most people so that obviously helps!

Last edited by Edward Teach; 01-21-2020 at 09:57 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-21-2020, 01:09 PM
 
2,669 posts, read 3,745,966 times
Reputation: 1537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Raleigh View Post
This is splitting hairs. The city of Wilmington was literally cut off from the outside world for several days due to widespread flooding in and around the city. Plus, downed trees, no power etc. I have elderly relatives who live in Forest Hills, and they had to evacuate for nearly a week before they could return to their home. The point is that what happens to adjacent areas can completely effect Wilmington as well.
And Hurricanes have left a wake in Charlotte and Raleigh in the past too. Hugo for Charlotte, Fran for Raleigh.

Dont live there because that happened.

Reality is that Wilmington faired pretty well even through the worst rain event it ever saw. The City faired better than the County or adjacent counties because of its storm water program.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2020, 02:06 PM
 
569 posts, read 214,042 times
Reputation: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
And Hurricanes have left a wake in Charlotte and Raleigh in the past too. Hugo for Charlotte, Fran for Raleigh.

Dont live there because that happened.

Reality is that Wilmington faired pretty well even through the worst rain event it ever saw. The City faired better than the County or adjacent counties because of its storm water program.
Well we can agree to disagree. You are correct that Hugo and Fran were devastating. I lived through Fran and the problem here was downed trees and power outages. We are too far from the coast to be directly affected by rising sea levels (I hope). Regarding Wilmington today, I don't believe that storm water drainage programs will be adequate to blunt the threat of sea level rise increases, along with the associated flooding damages. Wilmington will likely fare better than the barrier islands, which will first become inhabitable, then disappear, over time - according to all the leading experts on this subject, including Orrin Pilkey.

Raleigh rarely gets hit by hurricanes, but Fran was a whopper.

Last edited by Mr. Raleigh; 01-21-2020 at 02:24 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2020, 07:58 AM
 
Location: Richmond Virginia
96 posts, read 53,405 times
Reputation: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
The CITY of Wilmington didnt have the flood issues. The beach communities are on barrier islands. The river running north of the COUNTY line had some issues, but that is well outside the city. I-40 as mentioned as a river was in an entirely different county.

Lots of posters like to paint with a broad brush to support their opinion, rather than stick to just the facts. Fact is half of the population of New Hanover County lives outside of the city limits and are therefore not under any sort of storm water drainage control. That reared its ugly head...old adage, you get what you pay for. The county is now looking at enacting a storm water fee for the unincorporated areas. Pender Co (where the river runs through) is buying out a bunch of homes.
Ok, first you say Wilmington is 300K to 500K strong and now you are breaking it down to barrier islands and county lines. Now you're talking about Pender County. If you're not going to include the barrier islands as Wilmington, then why would you bring up Pender? Trying to understand how you came up with the numbers.

As for flooding, College Rd to Market area in certain parts can turn into lakes when it pours. I've seen a few sedan hoods completely underwater on College and have had to avoid several areas in between because I was worried my exhaust would be under water. I'm not saying that the entire area floods or that they aren't taking care of these issues, because they are (albeit slowly but surely).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Raleigh View Post
This is splitting hairs. The city of Wilmington was literally cut off from the outside world for several days due to widespread flooding in and around the city. Plus, downed trees, no power etc. I have elderly relatives who live in Forest Hills, and they had to evacuate for nearly a week before they could return to their home. The point is that what happens to adjacent areas can completely effect Wilmington as well.
This is true!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2020, 09:48 AM
 
2,669 posts, read 3,745,966 times
Reputation: 1537
The Beach communities are incorporated towns, they arent part of Wilmington. In reality they are Wilmington suburbs. In terms of the 300K strong I said this...

The region is 300K strong and growing and is more like 500K strong in the summer months when the beach


The region is 3 counties (Pender, NH, Brunswick). Downtown Wilmington is your central point there and the cultural center.

And yes College Rd and New Center Dr both do flood during torrential rains, the storm water program hasnt fixed either of those...but College is a State Road where improvements have been put off for decades because the State wont fix them. They are planned though.

For the OP, I hope they get a clear picture of some of the issues facing Wilmington. However most of this is not what they will see. They will see beautiful beaches and beach communities, lots of water, a Historic downtown with lots of new development on the north end of it. Lots of amenities, things to do, community events...and an overall happy community.

There are some issues, as there are in every community.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2020, 03:19 PM
 
569 posts, read 214,042 times
Reputation: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
The Beach communities are incorporated towns, they arent part of Wilmington. In reality they are Wilmington suburbs. In terms of the 300K strong I said this...

The region is 300K strong and growing and is more like 500K strong in the summer months when the beach


The region is 3 counties (Pender, NH, Brunswick). Downtown Wilmington is your central point there and the cultural center.

And yes College Rd and New Center Dr both do flood during torrential rains, the storm water program hasnt fixed either of those...but College is a State Road where improvements have been put off for decades because the State wont fix them. They are planned though.

For the OP, I hope they get a clear picture of some of the issues facing Wilmington. However most of this is not what they will see. They will see beautiful beaches and beach communities, lots of water, a Historic downtown with lots of new development on the north end of it. Lots of amenities, things to do, community events...and an overall happy community.

There are some issues, as there are in every community.
This sums it fairly well for the OP. It's good to point out the tourist population really spikes between June to August, as you mention, increasing congestion during that time, but it's a good problem to have. Tourists bring in the dollars. Portland population is likely stable year round.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2020, 05:16 PM
 
2,064 posts, read 994,183 times
Reputation: 2096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Raleigh View Post
The OP seemed intent on leaving Portland for Wilmington. The reasons are none of my business, and none were given. In that narrow sliver of communication, all I did was recommend that they consider Charleston as well. That's a cultural argument, not a global warming argument.

Regarding global warming and sea level rising, the OP can make their own decision as to whether or not that would be a factor in their choosing to relocate to the US Southeast coast.

I definitely blame the NC Government and the tourism lobby for blocking any reasonable discussion and planning for future problems on the coast caused by sea level changes. Spending hundreds of millions of dollars on "beach renourishment" is a silly waste of taxpayer dollars, and is most certainly not a reasonable plan.
Not at all, in fact its very reasonable plan, given that Dr. Richard Levin, Professor of Economics at the UNC Kenan-Flagler School of Business, testified that beaches are the number one tourist destination in the United States, accounting for $195 billion in tourism expenditures and supporting 2.82 million jobs in 1999. North Carolina would see a return on investment of $386 for every dollar spent to nourish the state’s beaches.

Dr. James Kleckley, Associate Director of Planning and Institutional Research at East Carolina University, joined Levin in attesting to the economic value of the state’s beaches. Kleckley argued that investment in beach restoration projects can and should be approached as an economic development investment, much the same as an industrial park is an investment for inland communities.

https://files.nc.gov/ncdeq/Coastal%2...0Formatted.pdf
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2020, 08:55 AM
 
21 posts, read 32,727 times
Reputation: 60
Seems much of this thread has gone off onto effect of global warming, I'd like to give some reasons why we are moving there and have done a lot of research and do know people that have moved there and been there for decades.

Whether you'll like it or not is really going to depend on you, the actual visit will go way further than anything you'll learn here. We went down to "rule it out" and fell in love with the area and bought in Leland in Compass Pointe though that is not in your price range unless you went townhome/duplex and less people your age, there are areas of Leland and Wilmington with communities that are more rural and quiet and within your budget. I suggest getting a RE agent to take you around to communities, they tend to be VERY willing to spend a lot of time with you and show you anything you want, just a arrange something ahead of time.

As an accountant myself I can say from talking to recruiters a quality candidate in that area will be in high demand as the "talent pool is weak" from what the recruiters have told me. However, pay is lower than in NH and likely Portland so just expect that. Especially on the higher end jobs. At least a 10 percent cut for same position and in many cases even higher.

The "basic amenities within a 20 minute commute" is not an issue, many places to live where that is easily accomplished.

There are crime statistics online, that's probably better than the random answers you'd get here. Wilmington has really cleaned up form a decade or so ago and heading in right direction. Overall in all the visits and talking with long timers its rare you feel unsafe, like every place else, use common sense.

NH has always been a "low tax state" or so they say and generally the tax system has been run on the "conservative" side of government. Most taxes people pay in in NH are paid through property Taxes as no income and sales tax. However I added all the taxes I'd estimate pay in NC, income, sales and property and I wills e a reduction in overall taxes. So I think the tax structure is reasonable and also been set by Republican leadership for the most part and compares favorably and more fair than the NH system.

Wilmington Airport is expanding fast and adding more gates but as of now you will find direct flights are limited and many are on regional aircraft(AKA Small/Cramped jets). There are flights to Atlanta and Chicago so getting to hubs is one flight away. Raleigh is 2 hours drive which allows a little more access to direct flights and Myrtle Beach about 1 to 1.5 depending on where you end up buying. You can pretty much get anywhere with 1 stop and definitely with 2 stops. The good thing is with the growth they have been adding routes every year and with the added gates coming hopefully a JetBlue/Southwest will move in.

The traffic is bad at certain times and places during the day but I've been in NYC and moved 300 yards in an hour and I found for the most part the traffic in and out of Wilmington was fairly light if you were not in the peak commuting times. Even then comparably it was reasonable. The fast growth and the massive infrastructure changes needed will be an ongoing battle but people are aware and working on it. Getting in and out of a place like Boston is 10 times worse.

It is hot and humid in the summer but the evenings can be beautiful as it's 70's and sun is not beating down on you, we love outdoor dining and it's always been very comfortable doing it there in the summer after it gets a bit later. Otherwise there is ocean, pools, air conditioning. We always say in the winter we are indoors for 4+ months 24/7 but for the 4+ months of heat you always have the early am and the evening to be outside if it's really hot. I don't mind heat and humidity myself, I'll play tennis in the middle of a 95 degree day no problem, my wife, not as much a fan and gets overheated but she hates being cold WORSE. May could have some hot days but if you get interested definitely return in July or August.

8 months of the year are great weather, we like that it is cooler in the winter than a place like Florida. Unless you can afford San Diego you have to balance things in regards to weather. The mountains to the west in NC get some snow and colder in winter(yuck!) but milder summers, anywhere south of Wilmington is Hotter in the summer(No Thanks!), you go to Virginia you are back to colder winters(Yuck again!), we personally find the weather as ideal as we can find on the East coast if you want no snow and you can do outdoor activities year round.

We also like the location, for weekends away within 5-6 hours drive are so many possibilities, old cities/big cities, mountains, oceans etc...

I think global warming has been covered but that was the one thing that gave us pause and also why we were happy Compass Pointe is relatively on high ground (no flooding during hurricane) but Wilmington is THE CITY so the effect on Wilmington will effect the one main city you can get to quickly, otherwise it's 2 hours to Raleigh.

After all that my top recommendations are
1) Get a RE agent to show you communities
2)Make multiple visits at different times of the year
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:49 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top