U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2020, 04:24 PM

4 posts, read 1,630 times

Advertisements

Hello All, first time poster, long-time snooper.

My family (me, wife, 13yr old, 8 yr old, 5 yr old) are looking to move to the beach from Charlotte, NC area. Wife is from Wilmington, has some family there, we go all the time, etc.

I lived there myself for 3 years, about 15 years ago before kids. We aren't familiar with all of the surroundings and specific neighborhoods, hence why I'm writing this post.

I work from home, so work commute is a non-issue and wife doesnt currently work. We are looking for suburbs/neighborhoods either in Wilmington or only 30 min. away tops. Best public schools as possible, would like to be near a park/trails/water access, basic shopping within minutes (grocery store, gas station, hardware store, food, etc) and be near other young families (huge). Ideally in a community w/pool, playground or similar. Budget is around 450k

Ok, so all that said I've started looking in Wilmington (hard to find lot size (1/3 acre+) for our budget. We also are looking in Hampstead (any new homeowners there w. families please share! ) as it seems to be close enough while getting more for $. Any experience w/ Hampstead matching above criteria or other areas we should check out?

Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2020, 04:37 PM

629 posts, read 207,895 times
I'd start out looking in the area south of Oleander, east of College and north of Piner Road. Parsley Elementary is a great school.

Old 06-28-2020, 05:25 PM

Thanks, yea we were looking in Myrtle Grove area as well. We are trying to keep it around $450 if possible

Old 06-30-2020, 02:24 AM

11,815 posts, read 21,409,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ1102 View Post
...... Best public schools as possible, would like to be near a park/trails/water access, basic shopping within minutes (grocery store, gas station, hardware store, food, etc) and be near other young families (huge). Ideally in a community w/pool, playground or similar. Budget is around 450k

Ok, so all that said I've started looking in Wilmington (hard to find lot size (1/3 acre+) for our budget. We also are looking in Hampstead (any new homeowners there w. families please share! ) as it seems to be close enough while getting more for $. Any experience w/ Hampstead matching above criteria or other areas we should check out?
Community pools are not as common as one might think. This place in Saltwater Landing with a Hampstead address is closer to Surf City, but it fits most of your criteria for lots size, good schools and proximity to shopping. I am familiar with the builder, and the quality is pretty good for a production builder. https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-85630?view=qv

This one is has a half-acre lot in Pelican Reef in a pool community. It is by a custom builder: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-85630?view=qv

Old 06-30-2020, 06:50 AM

Thanks goldenage1!

Next home a pool is a must for us. Backyard OR Community pool.

The homes look good on paper, I'm more curious from anyone living in Hampstead what the vibe is?

Old 06-30-2020, 07:02 AM

6,020 posts, read 5,810,114 times
I live in Hampstead and work in one of the elementary schools there. It is EXACTLY what you are looking for.

Old 06-30-2020, 09:02 AM

Thank you Stagemomma for the reply!

From what you can tell are new residents moving in to live or just vacation? Any areas to avoid or to check out? We are looking for neighborhoods with kids, community and activities nearby.

Thanks again

Old 06-30-2020, 04:36 PM

11,815 posts, read 21,409,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ1102 View Post
From what you can tell are new residents moving in to live or just vacation?......
I live nearby in Sneads Ferry, and I shop and use doctors in Hampstead. From my view, Hampstead is overwhelmingly permanent people, mostly with families. Its access to water is from docks on the ICW. Vacation homes are located on Topsail island, with addresses in TI, Surf City or North Topsail Island. Other beach vacation areas are Figure Eight Island, Wrightsville Beach (Shell Island), Carolina Beach etc.

The other house in Pelican Reef I suggested is 1106 Royal Tern. A larger lot probably means it has a septic tank rather than public sewer. That's common, just something to be aware of.

Regarding places to avoid, Hampstead is generally an affluent, low crime area. However, you should check flood zone maps before inspecting a house. During Dorian, houses in the 100-year flood zone were flooded. I do not know specific areas of Hampstead that were flooded, just don't assume that a hundred year flood zone is safe. Flood maps here: https://fris.nc.gov/fris/Home.aspx?ST=NC

Last edited by goldenage1; 06-30-2020 at 04:47 PM..

Old 07-01-2020, 11:00 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,741,253 times
450k will get you in Parsley/Holly Tree/Pine Valley area...on more than 1/3 acre. Feeds into Roland-Grise Middle and Holly Tree. There are trails surrounding Pine Valley into Halyburton Park. The Pointe is across the street as well which is a nice community entertainment complex and has a trail ready to start that takes you to the Hopsital area on 17th St. Also a short hop to the Mall on Independence Blvd, which is undergoing a big renovation/improvement.

Note that Hampstead is spread out sprawl with no trails, lots of cars, one main road that gets very crowded. Lots of cheaper homes than Wilmington and schools are good. Leland is the more expensive option and more higher end and a quick entry into downtown. Schools are improving. A bit further from the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or