U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 07:23 AM

34 posts, read 167,329 times

Advertisements

I live in Fayetteville, and we are looking for a beach that we can go to for the day (but not stay overnight) that has bathroom/changing facilities available for public use. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2008, 08:44 AM

713 posts, read 3,470,828 times
Smile A beach with changing facilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzig View Post
I live in Fayetteville, and we are looking for a beach that we can go to for the day (but not stay overnight) that has bathroom/changing facilities available for public use. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
You might try the one on Islander Drive in Emerald Isle.

Here's a Google Map with Directions.

This is another map of things in the area. If you zoom in three or four clicks and select beach access, you will see exactly where it is.

The parking is paved. There are changing rooms and bathrooms along with some volley ball nets.

The beach is very nice there. There are also nice facilities at Fort Macon State Park but it would be farther for you.

Have fun, I was out wading in the waters a little farther down the beach on Thursday.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:47 AM

713 posts, read 3,470,828 times
There are probably closer beaches, but this one has plenty of free paved parking and not a lot of crowds. There are some good inexpensive restaurants around for lunch like Mike's just down the street in Emerald Isle. There are also three ice cream shops nearby and a miniature golf course if you get bored with the beach.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:20 AM

983 posts, read 3,521,232 times
North Topsail Beach is nice....they have "stations" along the beach with bathroom/shower facilities, fairly clean, and some of them actually sell concessions too.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:24 PM

577 posts, read 1,735,732 times
Closest beach to you is Holdens. but not public type baths and such, also oak island very close.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:01 AM

28 posts, read 187,849 times
Check out Hammocks Beach State Park in Swansboro, not sure of the facilities they offer( they ferry you over to the beach)..but Fort Macon State Park at Atlantic Beach has showers and changing facilities.
Holidays are packed arrive early, parking is limited.
Enjoy!

Old 05-25-2008, 07:54 PM

4 posts, read 54,475 times
Hey, I'd second Homer Ray.

However, if you are military...

You've got to go to Onslow Beach on Camp Lejuene. It has EVERYTHING that you would ever want - except a rollercoaster.

Old 07-25-2009, 07:54 PM

1 posts, read 45,336 times
I like to go to Fort Fisher. It takes 2 hours from Fayetteville. It takes 1 1/2 hours to get to the bridge to Wilmington. Then another 20 minutes to Carolina Beach/ Kure Beach, and at the end you get to Fort Fisher that has free parking, changing facilities and bathroom. It's best to go early to get a good parking space.
I too am in search of a closer beach. I have only been to Holden once, and I seem to remember that there was no where to change and use the restroom.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:05 PM

1,948 posts, read 2,629,511 times
i second fort fisher,
also right downtown carolina beach there are outdoor showers and bathroom,
wrightville beach also towards shell island

Old 07-26-2009, 01:58 AM

135 posts, read 569,289 times
I'm not sure how the other facilities are, but Ft. Macon is pretty decent. But it does tend to get very crowded, especially after noon. They used to have a bathhouse that you could use for a fee, but i'm not sure if they still do. They do have bathrooms, and multiple outdoor showers though. The swimming is usually pretty good though. Lots of families with little kids usually. The people that are fishing usually go farther north, at the end of the island, towards the the fort. You don't want to go all the way to the fort since you can't swim there because there's a steep drop off.

There's other public beach access points along atlantic beach but i can't think of any others that have a bathroom. The Emerald Isle area might be closer for you, and their beaches aren't bad for swimming, Google claims that the 'Western Regional Access' point has bathrooms and outdoor showers. But since I personally have not visited this specific area I'm not sure about the situation there.

Of course for you it's probably an hour closer to go south towards Wilmington and the beaches near it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina