Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 06:54 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,529,828 times

Advertisements

My husband works around Chesapake in the Greenbiar area. I don't want to stay in Camden I want to either move to Virginia or stay in North Carolina because we have the car plates and everything. What are would get a closer to Virginia. What bugs me as that it takes my husband 45 mins or more to drive home at night in the traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 06:54 AM

144 posts, read 677,823 times
Camden goes right up to the VA/NC border. Moyock would make you a little closer to the Greenbriar area but it would still be about 25-30min drive.

Old 01-24-2009, 06:41 PM

5 posts, read 14,854 times
Elizabeth City should be avoided at all costs. The cost of living here is enormous, compared to what you get in return. Utilities receive hikes every few months, and the tax appraisals were just doubled....and don't have to be re-evaluated for 7 years. But if $3600 a year for a $200K house doesn't scare you, the crime will.

Despite what is listed in these public statistics, burglaries are rampant here, as are drugs. The gangs rule the streets and it's general understood that you don't go outside after dark unless you have to. The police seem unable to do anything about it, while this area is home to one of the largest drug importers in the country.

Businesses are closing here at the rate of five a week. Job prospects are extremely slim, unless you want to work in a fast food atmosphere. Even if you do find a job, the sales tax and state income tax is among the highest in the country.

Aside from all of that, there's an enormous drop-out rate here. Teachers are underpaid and underqualified and there are ZERO activities for kids, much less adults. We have a mall with about 6 stores. There's a two-screen theater. That's it. The main activities here are going to church and eating....even better when they're combined.

In short, Elizabeth City (and especially Hertford) are referred to as Wrinkle City, for the Newly Wed and the Nearly Dead. Stay away. You'll be glad you did.

Old 01-24-2009, 07:40 PM

1 posts, read 3,480 times
Dear "Rage in Helltown"
Forgetting the rest of your somewhat humorous post...while teachers here are definitely overworked and underpaid, we are not underqualified. There are very specific qualifications (due mostly to NCLB) that put strict requirements in place for teaching. I know a number of teachers who work many more hours than we are required to, just to give the children of this city the best education possible. Bash Elizabeth City all you want, but have some respect for those of us who are working hard for the children of this community.

Old 01-31-2009, 05:28 PM

2 posts, read 6,396 times
I have lived here for 2 1/2 years. We live in Riverside, a great well established area right on the Pasquotank River. We have NEVER had any problems at all. We can leave our doors unlocked without any fear. Great walking neighborhood for singles, couples, dogs. The coast guard base payroll helps this city and provides all kinds of jobs. Many people retire here. It is only 1 hour from Norfolk VA where you can attend the theater, convention centers and other things.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:44 AM

657 posts, read 1,628,924 times
Default Elizabeth City, Hertford and Edenton

It's probably not that bad right?

Old 02-04-2009, 02:43 PM

1 posts, read 3,429 times
My Family and I have been here for 4 and a half years now. There is no workat all.Its rediculous!!!!We are in currituck county. As for Elizebeth City? The schools are filled with gangs . The kids in the schools are always getting into fights, Theres child sex offenders everywhere. We came from NY and If we new this place was gonna be like this we would have never moved here.Nobody pays or wants to pay more then 8 to 10 $ And if your a professional at something they might offer you $12.00 an hour. But then WATCH OUT cause they will expect you to do EVERYTHING!!!!!

Old 02-04-2009, 02:50 PM

6 posts, read 33,895 times
I dated a guy in EC about five years ago...there were no jobs then and things have only gotten worse since then. People were selling off pieces of themselves to make ends meet.

If you are really interested, you should visit and see for yourself.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:17 AM

2 posts, read 5,460 times
The school system is very scarey...it is nothing like I have ever seen. Both of my children attend private schools(even there not much of a selection but much safer than the public schools) I would look into Camden, or even Currituck Counties before Elizabeth City/Pasquotank County. Although definitely politically incorrect, Douglas was right about a lot of things. Employment is scarce, benefits are hard to obtain for families in need, and like I said the school system is horrible. Housing is affordable with the turn of the economy, utilities and taxes are pretty reasonable. There is not a lot of shopping or cultural activities for the family. You will have to drive to Virginia for that. Hope this is helpful. If you would like additional information on private schools please let me know as they are pretty affordable.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:25 AM

444 posts, read 1,609,536 times
Skatingtoolman ... you're right, 1 hour from Norfolk.

Now, if you consider that safe for a medical emergency, you must be youngish.

I had 1 surgery in Albemarle hospital and ended up with staph infection, kidney failure, and almost bought the farm. My Dad and brother-in-law both had to go to Norfolk for heart problems.

That 1 hour is darn long when you or yours are in a medical crisis. As stated above, E City stinks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina