Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 09:59 AM

1 posts, read 10,793 times

Advertisements

We are currently living in Texas and plan on moving to the Elizabeth City area, I was wondering about the school systems seeing as how we have a middle schooler and soon a preschooler. I was also wondering how small companies are doing there as far as construction and if there is any work out that way. We really want to know about the area in general, specifically on framing, drywall, and most of all painting. I would be very happy if someone can reply to this and let us know, is it a good place to make a future for our family? And to anyone who can answer this.. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 08:57 PM

2 posts, read 21,574 times
Elizabeth City is a pretty nice town. The schools here are okay, I would recommend going to [url=http://www.greatschools.net/city/Elizabeth_City/NC]Elizabeth City schools - Elizabeth City public schools - Elizabeth City school ratings - Best Elizabeth City schools[/url] and checking out how the school systems compare. I do know Weeksville Elementary is received very positively in our community.

As far as construction opportunities, I'm not sure. I know Elizabeth City has many housing developments popping up, however with the housing crunch the way it is, I'd hate to say one thing based on assumption and be totally wrong.

I do think Elizabeth City is a nice place to raise a family. Good luck!

Here are some links for you to research our town:

[url=http://www.cityofec.com]City of Elizabeth City, NC -- The Harbor of Hospitality![/url] - (City website)
[url=http://www.co.pasquotank.nc.us]Pasquotank County North Carolina Home Page[/url] - (County website)
[url=http://www.tmrealty.com]TMREALTY.COM[/url] - (Local Realtor)
[url=http://www.dailyadvance.com]DailyAdvance.com - Elizabeth City news online[/url] - (Local Paper)
[url=http://www.albemarlehealth.org]Albemarle Health[/url] - (Hospital)
[url=http://www.blackwaterusa.com]Blackwater USA[/url] - (Government Contractor, large employer)
[URL="http://www.tamsco.com"]http:www.tamsco.com[/URL] - (Gov. Contractor, large employer)

I hope this helps!

Old 05-28-2008, 08:58 PM

2 posts, read 21,574 times
Sorry about how the URL's posted, I didn't realize they'd do that.

Old 06-08-2008, 05:15 PM

8 posts, read 31,116 times
Henry, to be quite honest...if you already have a home and job where you're at...stay put.
This is where I become brutally HONEST...even though others will try to paint a rosey picture.
No offense friend, but with the economy as it is, everyone's scratching to make ends meet. Even those with Very Good jobs.
Here's the Real Deal.
However...if you are intent on coming to Elizabeth City, look outside the city limits for housing.
If you desire to live within the city limits [as I do] be advised that we pay City AND County taxes & have high electricity rates.
In some county areas Co-Op electricity is available, but not assured.

Here's What I Know
Housing
: Since the big increase over the last few years, house prices here are [in a word] STUPID. What went for $50,000 in 2002, is now available at over $200,000. And some of those are "fixers".

Area/river
: Yeah...they call it "River City", but it isn't like anything you've seen before. I'm from the west coast and am used to blue ocean water. Here...the river water is "brackish" from vegetation rot [trees and plant life in the water]. I don't think I'll ever get used to black water for swimming/skiing/boating. Nope...never will.

Good Old Boys
: Yeppers...we got 'em. They RUN the city, county and everything in between. Think of Boss Hog on Dukes of Hazard...but 300% smarter. With the city being all of about 18-19000 people, they have their hands in EVERYTHING.

Work
: Not much around to speak of unless you know someone, or are married to the farmer daughter [really] or into one of the founding families.
It will be hunt and peck.
All of the jobs are going by way of the "diversity" factor.
If you are Caucasian, over 20/30, [57 in my case] and have an education...you WON'T get the job. The idea here is to "work the stupid and pay as little as possible". And if you're looking for a union job...forget it. NC is a Non Labor Union state.
As a carpenter, you MIGHT have a better chance than some, but again as in all construction trades, it's seasonal.
My suggestion is to get in with someone that does restoration or remodel. Might have more work there.
[I do cabinet installation [kitchen/bath+custom entertainment systems] and the work is there, but you might have a week or two between jobs]

Ethnicity:56%Black, 35% White, 9% Mexican [and rapidly rising]
The city doesn't have any clue as to how to handle the influx of Illegal Mexicans. [They actually welcome them]
While our City, County and State are scratching their collective heads, the Illegals are taking our construction/labor jobs.
It's only a matter of time before this City realizes it moved too slow to react to the problem.
I don't want to get political about this, but since you are from Texas, I feel that you MAY have an idea as to what I'm talking about.

Economy:
North Carolina is one of the Nations MOST economically depressed states. Employers still make a killing on; products/productivity; and pay squat. There is NO COST OF LIVING RAISES at any level, whether corporate or privately held companies. Anyone who thinks there is...is dreaming.
At this present time [6/08/08] regular gas is $3.99 a gallon and a good paying job around here averages around $10 -12 an hour.

More about taxes
: The state and local tax people are very proud of their Personal Property Tax. This "tax" was once called a "slave tax", but when times changed and they didn't have anything to replace it, they tax anything and everything you've got outside your house. Got a car? You pay annual tax on it and they have their own formula...don't try to figure it out...it will hurt your brain. Got a shed out back? That too. Gazebo? Yep. And the list goes on and on.
Doing a remodel? They reassess the property and tax the heck out of it.
There's also the annual [or every other year] property reassessment without telling you...until you get the bill.

Some Things that Don't Exist Here:
State Disability. If you get injured ON or OFF the job, the only way to get ANY financial assistance is to file for Social Security...which can take up to 3 years. Yes... 3 years.

Workers Compensation
. [This is iffy] Though required by law, too many businesses cannot afford to contribute and therefore don't.
You will find that many employers will work you as a "sub-contractor" and you will need to provide for your own health insurance and pay your own tax obligation beyond the norm.
The person you work for will 1099 you quarterly or at the end of the year.
So with that said, let's try some simple math. If you make $15.00hr, YOU will need to withhold 37% +/- [depending on your gross income] of your earnings to cover Social Security, State, Federal and any other FICA taxes they can throw at you.
Which leaves you basically earning [buying power] $9.45hr [at 37%] Cool huh?

Social Services
: Unless you are of African heritage, Illegal, pregnant [and don't know who the baby's daddy is], a fugitive [local, national or foreign], are missing a limb, blind or have a transferable deadly disease, you won't get it.
Also if you own anything you aren't getting it either. [But you can drive your big fat Caddie up there and collect and sign in/out with your French manicured nails with gold studs stuck thought them]

GUNS/Pick-Ups: Damn near everyone has one or the other...or both.
Guns...even "little Old Ladies' carry concealed and know how to use 'em.
[I carry too...just for kicks]
Pick-ups, Mudders, Super Duty's etc. You'll see them everywhere.

Crime: Well with me coming from a metropolis with a population of over 3 million people, there's nothing here that I fear.
There is a spattering of "gang bangers" which account to nothing more than a bunch of wannabe's. There might be a few Bloods & Crips, but again...wannabe's.
Tagging and graffiti isn't a problem, but we do have a few "bust-in's" [ones that want to join a gang] that like to try tp prey on "little Old Ladies" [see Guns/Pick-ups above].
This city doesn't know how to handle "gangs" yet, but I don't foresee any big buildup of gang activity any time soon.
There's just too many people here that know how to handle a gun. And besides...there's always a Big Country Boy somewhere close at hand to assist an honest citizen.

Well Henry, I hope I didn't burst your bubble or come off sounding like transplanted racist. I actually have gotten used to living here and have seen beyond the BS.
The only reason I included all of this information is: I wish someone was as direct with me prior to my moving here.
So with that said, IF you still decide/desire to move here, look me up. Maybe I can help you learn the lay of the land and the native customs.
Regards,
Douglas

Old 12-21-2008, 02:40 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,470,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tafakot View Post
No offense friend, but with the economy as it is, everyone's scratching to make ends meet. Even those with Very Good jobs.

Work[/b]: Not much around to speak of unless you know someone, or are married to the farmer daughter [really] or into one of the founding families.
It will be hunt and peck.
All of the jobs are going by way of the "diversity" factor.
If you are Caucasian, over 20/30, [57 in my case] and have an education...you WON'T get the job. The idea here is to "work the stupid and pay as little as possible".
Ethnicity:56%Black, 35% White, 9% Mexican [and rapidly rising]
The city doesn't have any clue as to how to handle the influx of Illegal Mexicans. [They actually welcome them]
While our City, County and State are scratching their collective heads, the Illegals are taking our construction/labor jobs.
It's only a matter of time before this City realizes it moved too slow to react to the problem.

Economy:
North Carolina is one of the Nations MOST economically depressed states. Employers still make a killing on; products/productivity; and pay squat. There is NO COST OF LIVING RAISES at any level, whether corporate or privately held companies. Anyone who thinks there is...is dreaming.
At this present time [6/08/08] regular gas is $3.99 a gallon and a good paying job around here averages around $10 -12 an hour.

GUNS/Pick-Ups: Damn near everyone has one or the other...or both.
Guns...even "little Old Ladies' carry concealed and know how to use 'em.
[I carry too...just for kicks]
Pick-ups, Mudders, Super Duty's etc. You'll see them everywhere.

Crime: Well with me coming from a metropolis with a population of over 3 million people, there's nothing here that I fear.
There is a spattering of "gang bangers" which account to nothing more than a bunch of wannabe's. There might be a few Bloods & Crips, but again...wannabe's.
Tagging and graffiti isn't a problem, but we do have a few "bust-in's" [ones that want to join a gang] that like to try tp prey on "little Old Ladies" [see Guns/Pick-ups above].
This city doesn't know how to handle "gangs" yet, but I don't foresee any big buildup of gang activity any time soon.
There's just too many people here that know how to handle a gun. And besides...there's always a Big Country Boy somewhere close at hand to assist an honest citizen.
The economic stuff sounds like most towns in america at this point.

The guns and crime thing actually sound like they balance out...the more people that know how to use guns,the likelihood of lower crime

Old 01-20-2009, 06:24 AM

7 posts, read 37,837 times
Just wondering, if you are so unhappy living in such a diverse city, why don't you move to Wyoming? I've been to Elizabeth city and it is nothing like you say. You have a problem with African Americans and Hispanics, why would you live among them and spread hate? Just move.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:40 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,725,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tafakot View Post
Unless you are of African heritage, Illegal, pregnant [and don't know who the baby's daddy is], a fugitive [local, national or foreign], are missing a limb, blind or have a transferable deadly disease, you won't get it. Also if you own anything you aren't getting it either. [But you can drive your big fat Caddie up there and collect and sign in/out with your French manicured nails with gold studs stuck thought them]
About as non-PC as you can get. But perhaps the funniest thing I have ever read on this forum, and it has the added advantage of being pretty darn true!

Points to Douglas!!!!

Old 01-20-2009, 07:50 AM

264 posts, read 907,365 times
I am not a fan of Elizabeth City, has so much potential but the social problems are just tough to over come, instead of Elizabeth City why not Moyock ?

Old 01-20-2009, 11:53 AM

1,692 posts, read 3,537,524 times
Elizabeth City school ratings are not high. We moved to the area last Summer from Michigan. We were going to live there but live in Camden, North Carolina. Remember and we found out that from state to state school doin't always match up. My kids went to a very high rated school in Michigan and still we had issues here. We have to go to Elizabeth City to shop and it is not what I need. Walmart is the biggest store and as far as towns I here the same as anywhere. Most people in this area work in Virginia in Hampton Roads. I just find that opputunities aren;t here. By that I mean products to shop for when you need something and experiences. It just doesn't fit us. Camden is fine but we rent and rent is more here why I'm not sure. If I can help you please let me know I have 4 kids here as well. I don't think there is anything wrong with Elizabeth City it is more of what fits what you want. I don't think it will be a great place to find work though.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:38 AM

144 posts, read 679,865 times
There are some things about EC that I really like, but if I had children in school I'd find some other place if possible. Most of Douglas has to say is fairly accurate although probably more blunt than most will stomach. EC is about the only large city in North Eastern Carolina. Camden would be a good alternative if you don't have to live in the city limits or Currituck/Moyock would be an even better choice. Currituck is about 20 mins from downtown EC and Moyock about 30 to 35 mins. Moyock is also about 20 mins south of Great Bridge, VA and 30 mins south of Chesapeake, VA and 35 mins South of Norfolk VA. Not a bad choice if you want to live near cities without living in them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina