Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2022, 09:04 AM

12 posts, read 21,052 times

Advertisements

Hello

Thank you for taking time to read this post,,and I'M sorry for asking questions that are subjective,,but any advise or suggestions are greatly appreciated.. I am retired ,,advid golfer,,she is a beach person,,we both like kayaking and outdoors very much... We are looking for a community that we can enjoy these activities,, It doesn;t have to have a golf course or kayak launch onsite,,but one nearby? I'm looking for a club i can join and have groups to play with and also to socialize. Quality of golf is kinda important...but as i get older finding a good fishing place would be good... my budget is up to 400k... outdoor space is a top priority,,i have been to ST. James but with a 30k intiation thats out...looking further south now... how do people feel about Brunswick Plantation or Sea Trail ???? or some other suggestions???Do buying a parcel and building an idea?? Most R.E agents (not all)are like used car salesmen or lawyers..i trust city-data readers more..thanks for any reply steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2022, 09:50 AM

2,691 posts, read 3,310,998 times
Following. We are looking to rent, then explore. Paid a visit to St James, Winding River and Brunswick Plantation back in 2017.....wife liked Brunswick, then it flooded pretty bad during a storm, so we pulled back a little.

Old 03-09-2022, 10:41 AM

thanks for reply gonna go down in april

Old 03-09-2022, 01:38 PM

4,266 posts, read 11,372,901 times
Check out Palmetto Creek, on 211 in Bolivia. I believe residents have use of the Carolina National Golf Club in Winding River. You’d still be just a few miles from Oak Island for great kayaking and about 15 min to downtown Southport. Palmetto Creek has a lovely pool and other very nice amenities.

https://www.palmettocreeknc.com/

Old 03-09-2022, 02:01 PM

13,323 posts, read 26,782,434 times
In today's market you would have to spend at least $500-600K to build. I suggest looking at existing homes in RiverSea.

Old 03-09-2022, 04:28 PM

thank you so much for your replies and suggestions

Old 03-09-2022, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
...I suggest looking at existing homes in RiverSea.
The same general area as Palmetto Creek, but the other side of 211. Close to Carolina National Golf and Winding River Plantation.

Old 03-09-2022, 09:41 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,004,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1956 View Post
Hello

Thank you for taking time to read this post,,and I'M sorry for asking questions that are subjective,,but any advise or suggestions are greatly appreciated.. I am retired ,,advid golfer,,she is a beach person,,we both like kayaking and outdoors very much... We are looking for a community that we can enjoy these activities,, It doesn;t have to have a golf course or kayak launch onsite,,but one nearby? I'm looking for a club i can join and have groups to play with and also to socialize. Quality of golf is kinda important...but as i get older finding a good fishing place would be good... my budget is up to 400k... outdoor space is a top priority,,i have been to ST. James but with a 30k intiation thats out...looking further south now... how do people feel about Brunswick Plantation or Sea Trail ???? or some other suggestions???Do buying a parcel and building an idea?? Most R.E agents (not all)are like used car salesmen or lawyers..i trust city-data readers more..thanks for any reply steve
Take a look at Kingfish Bay in Calabash. It is a very nice little community on the Calabash River. No golf course on site but dozens in the area, they have a boat/kayak launch as well as kayak storage. They have a club house, community pool, mini putt and most importantly, they have a community beach house on Sunset Beach with a fair amount of free parking for owners. Parking on the island is at a premium so the beach house is a sought after commodity.
This community is small and the residents are very friendly and active and there are a couple of golf discount cards available to Brunswick Co. residents.

Old 03-10-2022, 06:42 AM

4,266 posts, read 11,372,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
Take a look at Kingfish Bay in Calabash. It is a very nice little community on the Calabash River. No golf course on site but dozens in the area, they have a boat/kayak launch as well as kayak storage. They have a club house, community pool, mini putt and most importantly, they have a community beach house on Sunset Beach with a fair amount of free parking for owners. Parking on the island is at a premium so the beach house is a sought after commodity.
This community is small and the residents are very friendly and active and there are a couple of golf discount cards available to Brunswick Co. residents.
Likely out of OP’s max price range of $400k. The base price of the smallest home, a 2 bedroom, 1300sf is $443k without upgrades.

Old 03-10-2022, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
Likely out of OP’s max price range of $400k. The base price of the smallest home, a 2 bedroom, 1300sf is $443k without upgrades.
When the OP visits in April, they are going the find big price increases, limited supply and fast turnover. Their under $400K budget is going to get a very small (1300 SF) new construction place, a townhouse or condo, or an older house well away from the ocean. They could consider Meadowlands, a golf community in Calabash. New construction along 211 is by the big builder DR Horton or locals True Homes, H&H or Caviness and Cates.

It would be helpful to know if the OP could consider a townhouse, duplex or condo, instead of a SFH. They might also look at South Carolina communities in Little River or Conway, which have many with golf courses and water access.

Last edited by goldenage1; 03-10-2022 at 08:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina