Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2022, 05:06 PM

3 posts, read 3,227 times

Advertisements

We are looking into moving from Pennsylvania with two kids, ages 2 and 10. We really want to be as close as possible to the beach. We are from the mountains and we like small town living. The kids play sports so that's mostly what we do. We want a place that's not all touristy. Can anyone tell me how we might like Sneads Ferry? Is North Topsail Beach family friendly? Crowded? Also, I read that the beach isn't very usable a lot of the time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2022, 06:55 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snh99051220 View Post
We are looking into moving from Pennsylvania with two kids, ages 2 and 10. We really want to be as close as possible to the beach. We are from the mountains and we like small town living. The kids play sports so that's mostly what we do. We want a place that's not all touristy. Can anyone tell me how we might like Sneads Ferry? Is North Topsail Beach family friendly? Crowded? Also, I read that the beach isn't very usable a lot of the time?
I think you would like Sneads Ferry. It is still a small town, about 12-13,000 people. There are sports available through the kids' schools, and there are other types where you have to transport the kids. Most of the developments have lots of kids, so they could find pick-up basketball or skate-boarding. (Look at some FaceBook groups for more information on kids' sports.)

We do have a tourist season in the summer. It is mostly from people who rent houses at North Topsail for a whole week. The changeover occurrs on Saturday afternoo, so the local know not to go out shopping on Saturday. Tourism slows down after kids return to school, but the weather is nice enough for the beach well into November.

Be aware, however, that housing prices have gone through the roof in the last year. In my neighborhood, prices range from the high $400's to the mid $500's, for houses in the range of 2400 to 3500 SF. If you mention your budget, I could suggest some compatible neighborhoods.

Old 08-18-2022, 08:43 AM

So our plan is to move down in our camper until we know the area well enough to commit to a purchase, so campground recommendations are appreciated as well For a house, we will likely be looking in the $300k range. We are ok with downsizing to something like a townhouse.

We had originally planned to go to Jacksonville, but really would prefer to be a lot closer to the ocean and live in a smaller town. Our current town has a population of 1,600 and the largest we've ever lived in was 9,000. Our main reasons for moving are the beach and the weather. If we pull the trigger, it will likely be in the spring.

Old 08-18-2022, 09:52 AM

I do not know the campgrounds, so I suggest checking online reviews.
There are limited sales in your price range. I suggest also looking at Holly Ridge. There is a new DR Horton development, which seems nice, and is close to the new Coastal Elementary School. Prices are in the low $300s.

Old 08-19-2022, 09:31 AM

89 posts, read 58,712 times
We have a condo in North Topsail Beach so we go into Sneads Ferry for all our shopping. We considered moving there, we saw some really nice developments of newer houses that we thought about buying. We decided to buy a house in Leland that's under construction instead because I wanted to be a little farther from the coast (although we ended up not THAT much farther) and closer to a bigger city/town (Wilmington seems to have a lot to offer).

To answer your NTB questions... it is very family friendly here, very quiet and not touristy because truly the beach is about all there is to do Even during the busiest vacation times, the beach near our condo is pretty private. You can go to Surf City for more restaurants/shops- a little more beach-town touristy. The amount of accessible beach varies depending where along the coastline you are, the timing of the tides, the time of year... For example, when the tide is really high (especially a king tide) the water comes all the way up to the buildings where we are. But, this past couple of weeks, high tide still leaves a lot of beachfront. The one thing I will say that is 100% of the time true- the very north end (closer to the inlet) is NOT a place to go in the water. The rip currents there are deadly.

As two empty-nesters with a little dog, we absolutely love NTB. With young kids, your mileage may vary

Old 08-22-2022, 06:10 AM

This great information!! Much appreciated

Old 08-22-2022, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snh99051220 View Post
This great information!! Much appreciated
I should ALSO add- we haven't used any of the NTB public beach access areas since we literally have a walkway to the beach from our condo, so I can't speak to how crowded those get at popular times.

Old 08-22-2022, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisap8 View Post
I should ALSO add- we haven't used any of the NTB public beach access areas since we literally have a walkway to the beach from our condo, so I can't speak to how crowded those get at popular times.
The OP should be aware the the town has started charging for parking for people who are not property owners in NTB. That includes Sneads Ferry residents, although there is supposedly one free area.

I also suggest the OP look for a development that has a pool for the kids to use. There are no county pools, and the YMCA's are not close, unlike some northern states. Bridgewater, Oyster Landing, The Preserve ata Tidewater and Mimosa Bay have pools.

Old 08-22-2022, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
The OP should be aware the the town has started charging for parking for people who are not property owners in NTB. That includes Sneads Ferry residents, although there is supposedly one free area.
True.. it's also important to know that all three towns on the island have their own parking rules and/or fees. Onslow Couty has some free lots. More information:
https://www.onlyinonslow.com/only-on...topsail-beach/

Old 08-22-2022, 03:29 PM

Summerhouse at Everett Bay in Holly Ridge is another community with a pool and very nice amenities.

Regarding campgrounds, the Harbor Point RV Community has a pool, and it has mainly long term renters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina