U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 11:39 AM

3,098 posts, read 8,352,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
as I lived in Leland, NC (5 mi outside wilmington or so) for half a year, and it was a Nightmare! I was harrassed and treated badly by the citizens and the police force alike. The corrupt cops OVERpatrol the smaller areas, sometimes inside wilmington as well, even unlawfully detaining, searching and arresting innocent people. The small town people and cops seem to be mostly bigots and harrass and terrorize people that are of different nationalities, religions and even seem to be anti-female! I went through hell in that small town of Leland and wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.
<snip>Don't venture into Leland,
I'm sorry your experience was so negative. But from what I have seen here in Leland, it isn't that way now. Maybe things HAVE changed since you lived here. Liz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 06:28 AM

5 posts, read 14,516 times
I have lived in Hampstead for eight years. The school system is great qnd Pender county taxes are lower than New Hanover. We are about 15 miles from Wilmington, but I seldom have to go there. We have everything we need here in Hampstead.

Old 12-13-2007, 09:27 AM

3,098 posts, read 8,352,119 times
Quote:
We are about 15 miles from Wilmington, but I seldom have to go there. We have everything we need here in Hampstead.
I'm 5 mins from Wilmington but it's to the point that I seldom have to go there now too. Give this area another 2-3 years and I might not have to cross the bridge at all. Liz

Old 12-15-2007, 05:59 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,549,542 times
Thumbs up From another Red Sox fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterbug111 View Post

Hello, folks

This is my first post. I am a 50ish widow who has been an RN for 25 years. I have lived in CT my entire life.
I am considering moving south near the ocean (15 min. drive or less, a must). I am, like many "boomers" up here finding the long, harsh winters no longer fun.

I have eyed (not in person)the Wilmington area, possibly Norfolk, Myrtle Beach, but am open to any suggestions. Obviously, I will have no difficulty finding a Nursing job - hospital nursing home, school, etc, etc... I understand the pay will not be what it is here, BUT the housing looks very inexpensive compared to here.

Unfortunately, I have heard a few unpleasant stories from northerners who received a less than friendly welcome. One guy was told by a NC barber, "You know we don't like Yankees down here" and left after 5 months. I suspect this attitude is found in more remote,inland areas (?)

I am a friendly, kind soul who likes people in general and accepts anyone who shows basic respect, etc....

Can a Yankee (I am actually a Red Sox fan) live happily ever after, south of the Mason-Dixon??

Any and all suggestions for a nice coastal town/city are welcome. No children are involved. Thanks!!

Cindy
My Wife and I moved here from New England 10 years ago. She retired early from her job as a geriatric nurse and owner of a part time nursing clothing store. We also found the long, harsh winters were no longer fun and we were just miserable there...so I found a good position and we moved to eastern NC.

We are about 85 miles inland from the beaches (nope, not just a 15 minute ride) but if we could offer our views that Wilmington on the coast is your best bet we think you will agree after doing your research. Southport is a half hour ride from there and reminds us of Cape Cod, MA.

The pay won't be the same as what you are probably getting up there but nurses are IN DEMAND and the wages are rising steadily. The lower cost of living across the board makes that a good trade-off.

You will be pleasantly surprised at the affordable homes here, and currently it is a buyers' market.

Don't believe all that crap about southerners not accepting "Yankees"! We live inland and previously lived in Raleigh for a year and we NEVER encountered that sort of ignorant behavior. Maybe the "Yankee" was obnoxious and the "barber" was merely suggesting he go back to where he came from. We built our home in rural Sampson County where our neighbors whose ancestors date back for many generations treat us like we are "natives".

Yes, you can live south of the Mason-Dixon happily ever after...especially here in progressive North Carolina. Here is a link for Wilmington:
http://www.ci.wilmington.nc.us/
and one for Southport/Oak Island:
http://www.southport-oakisland.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina