U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 01:14 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,749,653 times

Advertisements

Would love to camp out on or near the beach. Does anyone know of some campgrounds in NC or SC that would be an easy drive from Charlotte?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 03:28 PM

44,771 posts, read 56,045,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTheTank2 View Post
Would love to camp out on or near the beach. Does anyone know of some campgrounds in NC or SC that would be an easy drive from Charlotte?

Thanks.
My favorite is Hunting Island State Park in South Carolina. It takes over 3 hours to get there but is not a difficult drive at all. It is especially nice in the winter (my preferred time for being at the beach!) The whole island is a wildlife preserve - really neat. Oh, and it has a cool lighthouse you can climb!

Old 06-02-2008, 04:18 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,238,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
My favorite is Hunting Island State Park in South Carolina. It takes over 3 hours to get there but is not a difficult drive at all. It is especially nice in the winter (my preferred time for being at the beach!) The whole island is a wildlife preserve - really neat. Oh, and it has a cool lighthouse you can climb!
Can you walk to the beach from the campground, if so how far is it?

Old 06-02-2008, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssd3 View Post
Can you walk to the beach from the campground, if so how far is it?
The campground is ON the beach. Now, many sites are down in the interior of the island in the trees (kind of neat, lots of shade) and you can't see the beach from them - but all are easy walking distance to the water. The furthest sites would probably be a 7 minute walk to the actual beach. During low tide you can actually walk the length of the beach from the campground to the lighthouse (about 1.5 miles, maybe less). The lighthouse area has a public beach. I think the campground beach is much nicer and less crowded.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:36 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,238,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
The campground is ON the beach. Now, many sites are down in the interior of the island in the trees (kind of neat, lots of shade) and you can't see the beach from them - but all are easy walking distance to the water. The furthest sites would probably be a 7 minute walk to the actual beach. During low tide you can actually walk the length of the beach from the campground to the lighthouse (about 1.5 miles, maybe less). The lighthouse area has a public beach. I think the campground beach is much nicer and less crowded.
That sounds great, thank you.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:41 PM

5,939 posts, read 6,780,236 times
If you want commercial, we used to camp every year at Ocean Lakes CG in Myrtle Beach. We had a 30' travel trailer. Their sites are separated from the beach by a tall berm. You can easily walk right over to the sand. The CG also has lots of other entertainment and activities (indoor & outdoor pools, water play area, mini golf, etc). Haven't been there in 5 or more years, but we have fond memories of the place.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:26 PM

1,877 posts, read 2,916,641 times
Myrtle Beach State Park is just south of MB, on US 17. It's a beach front state park, and priced at only about $25 a night for camping. You can check out all of the SC state parks at www.southcarolinaparks.com, and make reservations online at Campgrounds and Camping Reservations - ReserveAmerica.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:26 PM

444 posts, read 1,089,459 times
I agree with the two posts above. When we were children we played at Ocean Lakes in the nice pool, swam in the ocean and played carpet golf. A great place for children.

Huntington State Park is just south of Myrtle Beach, SC and there is an old fort there for you to tour, alligators in the marsh, walks, fishing and the great ocean. Prices are reasonable for camping as well.

All of the parks mentioned are within 3.5 hours of Charlotte depending on where you live in the area.

Good luck to you and may you find a great place at the beach to enjoy this summer!!

Dunroven

Old 06-02-2008, 07:55 PM

4,282 posts, read 7,070,400 times
I HIGHLY recommend a longer drive to Cape Lookout, NC.
GoogleMap 'Harkers Island', that is where is ferry will leave from for the Cape.
It is a long drive, then a ferry ride offshore, but an experience second to none.

My great grandfather started fishing there just before WW2.
He slept in the lighthouse when it was abandoned, now it is back in use.

My grandfather started fishing there in 1950 and did so for 55 years straight.
I go at least 1x and if I am able 2x a year.

We usually catch all the fish we can eat (blues, flounder) and live like a king for 2-3 nights.

It is a national park and there are no roads or development.
You will see stars and awake in your own habitat with few people around.

I took this pic just before sunset in 2006:

Took my daughters last Labor Day and they had a blast.
All the large perfect conch shells (and most other kinds) you can carry home for souvenirs.

I have traveled far and wide and have never found a whalebone on the beach as we found at Cape Lookout:

Last edited by mullman; 06-02-2008 at 08:07 PM..

Old 06-02-2008, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
I HIGHLY recommend a longer drive to Cape Lookout, NC.
GoogleMap 'Harkers Island', that is where is ferry will leave from for the Cape.
It is a long drive, then a ferry ride offshore, but an experience second to none.

My great grandfather started fishing there just before WW2.
He slept in the lighthouse when it was abandoned, now it is back in use.

My grandfather started fishing there in 1950 and did so for 55 years straight.
I go at least 1x and if I am able 2x a year.

We usually catch all the fish we can eat (blues, flounder) and live like a king for 2-3 nights.

It is a national park and there are no roads or development.
You will see stars and awake in your own habitat with few people around.

I took this pic just before sunset in 2006:

Took my daughters last Labor Day and they had a blast.
All the large perfect conch shells (and most other kinds) you can carry home for souvenirs.
Mullman, I totally agree this is a great experience! However, people need to understand this is a "deserted" island. You are camping out overnight with no electric hookups, no camp store, no place to buy food - it's really more of a backpacking experience
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina