U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-05-2008, 02:00 PM

78 posts, read 255,863 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on heading down to Wrightsville Beach from Raleigh this weekend... just have a few questions....
If we leave by 8:30 will that be enough time to get parking? I'm assuming the beach will be packed.
Is it true that you are not allowed to have alcohol on the beach? Is this enforced?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 02:07 PM

7,441 posts, read 14,558,641 times
As for parking it will be hit or miss at 10:30 or 11:00 AM. If you can leave earlier, I'd encourage it.
I was at Wrightsville last weekend and there was plenty of parking ALL DAY both Saturday and Sunday, but it was the weekend after Memorial Day so it was slower. With this heat wave and the high schoolers out of school, I suspect it will be more crowded.
As long as I've ever know, alcohol is allowed on the beach just no glass containers (beer or wine bottles).
Good luck and have fun!

Old 06-05-2008, 02:39 PM

26 posts, read 72,816 times
Sorry to jump in here - this thread peaked my interest. Considering a move from upstate NY to the Raleigh area. How long a drive is it to the coast and what's it like? Sandy? Rocky?

Have fun theluckiest1!

Old 06-05-2008, 02:43 PM

37 posts, read 87,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alycat View Post
Sorry to jump in here - this thread peaked my interest. Considering a move from upstate NY to the Raleigh area. How long a drive is it to the coast and what's it like? Sandy? Rocky?

Have fun theluckiest1!
2 hours and sandy.

Old 06-05-2008, 03:00 PM

26 posts, read 72,816 times
Fabulous!

Old 06-05-2008, 05:04 PM

4,915 posts, read 7,435,777 times
We went to Wrightsville Beach last month for the first time and loved it! I guess there are parking issues during peak season, as there is mostly metered parking. We got lucky, and found parking at Robert's grocery store for $5 for the day. Don't know if rates will go up during summer, but at least you don't have to worry about feeding the meter! Just an FYI!

Old 06-06-2008, 06:13 AM

2,688 posts, read 4,670,935 times
What we have done in the past is try to get to Wrightsville when the morning crowd begins to leave and more parking opens up. We have been fortunate that there is usually a slot open in on of the parking lots. Sometimes a couple of passes up and down the main street is required to be fortunate to get one of those parking slots. Once there thou its coolers, cart, towels, balls of many shapes and sizes, umbrella, and the snack bag! But boy oh boy the sun, sand, and salt water makes it all worth it!

Oh yea and in about 4 to 5 hours you get to repeat the process again in reverse. Enjoy! Surfs up!

Old 06-06-2008, 06:25 AM

1,518 posts, read 3,810,822 times
I used to go for the day as well and there used to be metered parking on the side of the Sun Spree hotel which I loved. The reason is you can use their beach bar, and also get lunch and use the rest room in the hotel which is really nice. Otherwise if your on the strip in other locations now where so you eat and use the restroom without a hike or getting back in the car. I want to park my car and not get in it again until I leave. The traffic is bad sometimes.
Holiday Inn SunSpree Resort Wrightsville Beach - Unbiased Reviews - TravelPost.com (http://www.travelpost.com/hotels/Holiday_Inn_SunSpree_Resort_Wrightsville_Beach/h23697 - broken link)

Old 06-06-2008, 06:30 AM

1,512 posts, read 4,774,501 times
Yikes..leave at 8:30? If I was you and was dead set on Wrightsville, I would leave at 7am. By 10 am, the cars are starting to come in.

I PERSONALLY..would not go to Wrightsville. Parking is a nightmare, parking lots will charge you around $10 to park all day, good luck trying to find a public restroom and be prepared to sit in traffic for awhile.

If you dont mind driving an extra 20 miles, I would instead head to Kure Beach (Fort Fisher). There is one very large parking lot and no matter when you go, there is ALWAYS parking. Plus, its free. They have very clean public restrooms with changing rooms (you wont find that in Wrightsville), snack bar, picnic areas and grills. This space is right between the Fort Fisher musuem and the Fort Fisher Aquarium so if you get too hot and want to get out of the sun for a few hours, you got a couple of really cool things to do.
Another disadvantage of Wrightsville is most of the shops/restaurants wont allow public restrooms because of the employees having to constantly clean up the sand.

Just take I-40 East and follow the signs to NC AQUARIUM AT FORT FISHER. You're going to drive through Kure Beach, then to Fort Fisher. Turn down Loggerhead drive and the parking lot will be on your left. You can't miss it. They did a great job of putting out signs leading you to the aquarium so its guaranteed, you wont get lost!

For lunch, there are two restaurants across the street from each other (I completely forgot the name, sorry!) when you come out of Fort Fisher. One is a seafood restaurant, the other is a grill place. Both are excellent! There's a DQ station across the street too.

Here's a link for the aquarium:
North Carolina Aquarium at Fort Fisher

Have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina