U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 03:17 PM

16 posts, read 59,973 times

Advertisements

We are contemplating relocation to the New Bern area for my husband's job. We are from the surrounding area originally, so we are pretty familiar, however, we now have a 12 year old daughter that has only been in a Christian School her whole life. As I search New Bern, the Christian Schools all seem rather strict and super conservative (moms can't wear pants on campus, no country or rock music, etc). I am at a loss as to what to do! I do remember NB public schools have a horible reputation, so to throw our dauther into a public middle school is SCARY! Anyone have any thoughts, ideas on good schools in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 04:33 PM

928 posts, read 3,536,992 times
There is Gramercy Christian in Newport, NC which could possibly work. They do offer busing from different church parking lots. Good Luck. Middle school is a tough age group.

Old 06-13-2008, 05:45 PM

148 posts, read 555,712 times
If you located around Havelock or Newport, Grammercy in Newport or Liberty Christian School in Havelock may suit you well.... believe Gramercy is very large, I believe they just built a gym....It looks like they have several large buildings....It is very well established....I had two kids in Ruth's Chapel in New Bern....too strict....Actually that is why I relocated my family to Cape Carteret...great schools...My wife drives to New Bern to work, but peace and quiet and good schools fit our wishes...

Old 06-13-2008, 06:51 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I have not come across Gramercy in my searching, so I will investigate that. How about Epiphany? Any thoughts on that school?

Old 06-13-2008, 07:03 PM

148 posts, read 555,712 times
I lived in New Bern 15 years and I never heard of Epiphany....What towm is it in? I have two starting middle school and will be attending Broad Creek middle down in Newport Area. Great public school...just let me know where that school is.....

Old 06-14-2008, 07:11 PM

Epiphany is new and started by the author Nicholas Sparks. I checked and they do not have openings for 7th grade next year, so we may wait list her - it sounds like something similar to what she has now. I will probably be able to visit one day in the next few weeks, but I am not sure of the exact location.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:15 AM

28 posts, read 187,989 times
Check out Parrott Academy in Kinston. They contract with a transportation company to bus New Bern kids there( Approx 30 miles). That might work for you.

Old 06-19-2008, 06:40 AM

65 posts, read 228,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amymc01 View Post
Epiphany is new and started by the author Nicholas Sparks. I checked and they do not have openings for 7th grade next year, so we may wait list her - it sounds like something similar to what she has now. I will probably be able to visit one day in the next few weeks, but I am not sure of the exact location.

I do not know where my post went. I sent a reply to you about private schools in New Bern, any way........ I have lived here for 3 years and we are now relocating due to a job transfer, and we will miss "The Epiphany" & my neighborhood A LOT! My son and daughter have been to St. Pauls for 2 years, and that was a, hmmm lets just say "an experience", so we moved my son to The Epiphany and it has been a WONDERUL experience. we will miss it a lot. My son is registered for 2008-2009 at Epiphany 7th grade, in case we need to start the school year off here. Have you bought a house yet? New Bern is a LLLLLOOOOONNNNNGGGG drive to Kinston, New Port, and Havelock everyday. I personally would not go to the public schools after 5th grade here. You are welcome to send me any person messages. I would be happy to help you in any way I can

Old 06-19-2008, 12:29 PM

40 posts, read 202,318 times
I'd look at Epiphany. It was started by Nicholas Sparks and it has been very well received in the area. They have hired some great teachers..

As far as Parrott goes, that is a long commute from new bern to kinston every day....in my opinion it's too long....

Old 06-19-2008, 01:48 PM

213 posts, read 128,141 times
Our son is to start the 9th grade at Epiphany this year. I agree with previous poster, I would go private after 5th grade in New Bern. I don't think he has really learned much at the middle school here, hardly has homework, etc. I am pretty well fed up with his school and glad he's out of there. We've had GREAT experience with the elementary though. We have a daughter in there and one more son to go through as well.

Parrot is supposed to be a great school and they do have a bus from New Bern. We chose Epiphany although we'll have to drive him and pick him up everyday. For us, it sure was expensive. I guess it was relatively cheap for a private school though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina