Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2008, 01:54 PM

5 posts, read 38,005 times

Advertisements

We will be traveling from Myrtle Beach to Nags head and plan on spending the night somewhere in NC. Possible towns to stay over are either New Bern or Washington NC. Which town is nicer? Which one is safer to spend the night?

Can someone let me know the differences between the two towns?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 04:25 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
New Bern, stay on the waterfront. Walking distance from downtown and on the waterfront. Stay at the Sheraton or the Comfort Inn.

Old 06-19-2008, 06:26 AM

65 posts, read 254,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkurley View Post
We will be traveling from Myrtle Beach to Nags head and plan on spending the night somewhere in NC. Possible towns to stay over are either New Bern or Washington NC. Which town is nicer? Which one is safer to spend the night?

Can someone let me know the differences between the two towns?

Thanks

New Bern by far. Much much nicer, I think. You can stay on the water down town or in town off HWY 70 at the Hampton inn

Old 06-19-2008, 11:42 AM

159 posts, read 608,742 times
New Bern is the larger city with much more preserved history, so I'd have to give the nod to New Bern. Both are equally safe, which is to say, as a visitor in a hotel following normal cautions, you don't have anything to worry about. We're not talking thugdoms!

Washington is a small town of about 10,000 people. Most of its older buildings were destroyed in the numerous civil war shenanigans, and it never had a pedigree as impressive as New Bern's. It is developing its waterfront as a tourist destination, though, and if you were spending time in the area, I would recommend it as a nice town for an afternoon visit. Think Beaufort, but on a much smaller scale.

Enjoy!

Old 06-20-2008, 08:54 AM

35 posts, read 103,714 times
Not sure if you have set off on your journey yet, but New Bern all the way. Lived near the Comfort Inn / Sheraton hotels for a while and the area is very safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina