U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2008, 05:54 AM

5 posts, read 30,900 times

Advertisements

Vermont winters can be harsh - it's time for the beach in N/S Carolina. Any suggestions on a small town 10 - 15 minutes from the ocean ($$$150,000 or so) where I can crab, walk the beach, bike ride, and read away the days. I prefer to buy a small cottage rather than a condo in a congested areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 08:09 AM

1,812 posts, read 3,282,937 times
I think a quaint cottage in a pretty town, like Southport or Beaufort, would be out of your price range. You could maybe find a small house in Sneads Ferry, Holly Ridge or Hampstead in that price range. Or a manufactured home.

As far as bike riding goes, there are few (if any) bike trails in the area. It should be safe enough to ride around the streets of the beach towns, though, which I sometimes do.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:42 AM

1,676 posts, read 5,357,197 times
Gretchen,
There are 171 homes $150K and under currently for sale in the Crystal Coast MLS. This does not include mobile homes.

Bill

Old 06-25-2008, 11:22 AM

8,080 posts, read 13,464,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen Olson View Post
Vermont winters can be harsh - it's time for the beach in N/S Carolina. Any suggestions on a small town 10 - 15 minutes from the ocean ($$$150,000 or so) where I can crab, walk the beach, bike ride, and read away the days. I prefer to buy a small cottage rather than a condo in a congested areas.

Let me know where you settle so I can come house sit for you

We are trying to decide on retiring in the foothills or the coast.
One day I am hot all day and think a mountain property with animals and a
small garden would be ideal . The next day I think walking on the beach
and the place you are describing would be paradise.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:24 AM

8,080 posts, read 13,464,179 times
Alot of people love the Swanboro area.
I don't know much about the prices there
but on the City-Data Coastal NC forum
there is a post that tells you alot about the area.
I will try to find it for you.

ps.. sorry I thought you were in another forum

here is the link I was talking about
and I think there is one more similar blog by the same person
Roanoke with some sea salt: What I love about Carteret County

Old 06-25-2008, 12:13 PM

5,371 posts, read 9,865,001 times
Hi Gretchen,

I do believe you would find Beaufort/Morehead City quite congenial. Lots of folks here in your age group, many of whom have moved here from "away." There's yoga, an organic community market, a vibrant library and lots of history and art...good bicycling--it's flat!

Our area's filled with writers, readers, artists and other creative spirits and nearby Duke Marine Lab brings in fine minds and scientists and students from all over (as does our little port, a favorite stop on the Intercoastal Waterway (ICW).

Come on down, the water's fine--and there's never been a better time to buy, in my opinion--not a realtor, but there's much inventory to select from.

With your cited price range, you should be able to find a cozy cottage within 15 minutes of car/bike or walk of the water in Beaufort or Morehead City. Happy hunting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or