U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 08:06 PM

291 posts, read 766,356 times

Advertisements

We like the Thai Grille in Surf City, Sears Landing in Surf City, Surf City Deli in Hampstead for sandwiches(don't know why it is named that!) River View in Sneads Ferry for seafood. Every time we order the sirloin marsala at Carraba's in Wilmington, it is delicious....Have heard Kornerstone in Porter's Neck has good pizza...there are so many good restaurants, but like LLN, nothing like home cookin'!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 08:16 AM

263 posts, read 974,089 times
Thumbs up Jordan's Seafood, EI

I post my reviews to Yelp and the South board of ChowHound.com. You are more likely to find like-minded individuals there as these are more dedicated to dining and dining out. In my experience, this area is not a food/dining centered culture compared to other places that I have lived (most notably New Orleans but the Tampa area also). A decent regional newspaper would really help to provide a common forum for discussions of all kinds (I'm dreaming of a coastal edition of the Raleigh paper like the Tampa Tribune or the St. Petersburg times puts out for adjoining areas).

Anyway, I had a very nice lunch out in EI recently that I haven't had the opportunity to write about yet.

I was out exploring east of Jacksonville and found myself in Emerald Isle at lunch time. It was actually pretty late for lunch and I was hungry enough to gnaw my own arm off at the elbow. Against my better judgment, I picked a place that I had never heard of, Jordan’s House of Seafood.

In my experience, these beach places both here and in my native Florida, seem to rely on their location for their business continuity. They know that they have a fairly large, ever changing captive audience of diners and they also know that that body of diners will continue to return no matter how mediocre the food is.

Jordan's House of Seafood (354-5722) is an unassuming establishment on the main drag in Emerald Isle. The location is convenient - look for parking in the back. The furnishings and decor are basic.

I was seated quickly and offered a menu and a beverage. Shortly after I was seated, I was presented with a small basket of hushpuppies – small extruded bread hinting of cornmeal, freshly fried. They were perfectly fried and rather sweet, not at all greasy. Although famished, I tried to stay out of those.

I was disappointed that the steamed clams and mussels that were posted on the specials board were not available until after 5pm, but I turned to the menu for my selection. The menu here is quite limited, which is actually a good sign. I’d rather see a limited range of offerings with similar preparations because I figure if they are only doing so many different kinds of preparations they probably get pretty good at them.

What you won’t find on this menu:
Salads – aside from the house and two chef salads on the appetizer menu, a side of coleslaw is as close as you will get. This isn’t a salad dinner place.
Raw bar – there is no raw bar here, which seems to be typical of the area.
Pasta – I didn’t see any pasta on the menu.

What you will find on the menu:
Wine by the glass $4.25, which is a bargain if it is drinkable. Beer from $2.50 to $3.50 per bottle. A few house liquors.
The standard non-alcoholic drink offerings and a few “mocktails.”
A selection of sandwiches, chicken and “turf” dishes.
Appetizers – includes the usual suspects.
Vegetables – a listing of vegetable side dishes typical of a good diner.
Pizza – why? I don’t know, but there it is.

The bulk of the menu is given to “Dinners From the Sea” and “Combination Dinners.” These range in price from $2.75 for a side order of deviled crab to a high of $23.50 for the Jordan’s House Special (shrimp, fish, crab, scallops & clam strips). These can all be had fried, broiled or “panned in butte” and come with a choice of two sides.

I opted for the shrimpburger with a side of fries, $6.25 & $2.00. The shrimp “burger” consists of fried shrimp presented on a hamburger bun in a traditional manner for hamburgers. The shrimp were small but plentiful, lightly breaded and perfectly fried. The fries were similarly well prepared. There are condiments on the table – tartar sauce, catsup and hot sauce, to dress your sandwich as you like it. The hamburger bun was a thoroughly unremarkable hamburger bun, but I wouldn’t expect artisan bread in this setting, and when the shrimp are done right, who needs it?

This is my only visit to Jordan’s to date, but if the quality/quantity/price relationships I experienced are typical of Jordan’s, it’s a great find. There is a finely practiced touch involved when the kitchen can turn out great fried items that are not overcooked and not at all greasy. I will definitely head back at night some time for a run at those steamed items or maybe the Jordan’s House Special.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:30 AM

3,071 posts, read 7,821,248 times
I love Rap's in Morehead City, El Cerro Grande (the one on the east side of town) in Havelock, excellent margaritas, Friday's 1890 in New Bern, and Hilda's in Jacksonville

Old 08-01-2009, 02:51 PM

144 posts, read 608,494 times
Since I started this thread back in '08 two new restaurants have opened in Moyock that I think deserve a mention. One is called the "Wingin' It Cafe" which is a good little restaurant with great service. I like the grilled reuben and the wings are excellent. Also, the "Riptide Grill" this is a fairly elegant little restaurant with some excellent food. I like the Morrocan Pizza. Bon Appetit!

Old 08-02-2009, 08:20 PM

31 posts, read 106,180 times
We live in Carolina beach...My husband and I like to catch the ferry to Southport and have lunch or dinner at a little place called, The Pharmacy. The building itself has a real historic feel. As you may guess, it was a pharmacy for many years before eventually being converted to a restaurant. The food is fantastic! The menu has kind of an "upscale" feel, but the prices are very reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina