U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 01:37 PM

144 posts, read 386,289 times
Thumbs up Where Do You Like To Eat?

Hey I started this in another part of the forums and I thought it might be interesting here as well. I live in Moyock and I have several places that I like to go eat. I was wondering if you have any place in your town or surrounding area that you like to eat at and would recommend. Do they have a specialty and are they expensive or inexpensive. I'm kind of thinking of the show Diners, Drive-ins and Dives on the FoodNetwork. Put in a word for your favorite place and tell them you heard about them on the city-data.com forum. Let's keep it positive though only write about the ones you like. Kind of like I was always taught "if you can't say something nice don't say nothing at all." It will be fun and if you visit in those towns you'll know where the locals go for great food.
Like I said I live in Moyock and usually when I'm hungry I go to Mr. Lu's. I love Chinese food. It's a pretty good little take-out restaurant. It's not pretty inside but I love the food. I recommend the chicken with garlic sauce. I love it.
When I want BBQ (good ole North Carolina style BBQ) I go to Southland. It is probably the nicest restaurant in the whole town and they have great NC BBQ (vinegar with red pepper sauce) and pile on the coleslaw!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 11:12 AM

709 posts, read 2,211,664 times
Smile Some of my favorite spots

Shrimp are abundant on the Crystal Coast. I love them fresh from the boat and cooked and chilled. I enjoy those most at home.

Shrimp even make a great breakfast food. Yana's in Swansboro has great pancakes, but they also have a wonderful shrimp omelet.

Mike's in Emerald Isle also does some great omelets and seafood, but my favorite lunch dish there is their Reuben Sandwich special which usually comes with a cup their homemade soup. They usually have stuffed pepper soup which is a real treat. I often sneak into Mike's just before their 2 pm afternoon closing. Their Greek pitas are also very good.

If I am looking for a dinner order of fried oysters, Jordan's Seafood on Emerald Isle is really hard to beat. They also have some very good fried flounder. If it happens to be a Tuesday when Jordan's is closed, you can also get some great fried oysters at Capt. Charlie's Restaurant in Swansboro. Captain's Charlie's also has a wonderful broiled Tilapia.

One of our popular area fishes that visitors often have not tried is grouper. A great lunch sandwich served along our coast is the Grouper Grandwich which is available at the Ice House in Swansboro.

I also enjoy the Grilled Grouper Sandwich at Ballyhoo's in Emerald Isle. My favorite night is Thursday night when they have their wings special and $1 beers.

Riverside Seafood and Steak has one of my favorite dinner grouper dishes. It is their House Grouper which is topped with lobster buerre blanc and two jumbo shrimp.

When I want inexpensive almost fast food, I head over to Andy's in Swansboro. They have great burgers and cheese steaks. They have recently started serving old fashioned custard ice cream. It is the best that I have tasted along the coast.

Two other places for relatively inexpensive food are the lunch specials at Fairway Restaurant in Cape Carteret and No Name Pizza in Beaufort which I make a point to visit if I am in the area during meal time.

I have more details on some of my favorite area restaurants at this link.

Last edited by dsobotta; 06-26-2008 at 11:13 AM.. Reason: left out word

Old 07-05-2008, 11:30 AM

I guess other than dsobotta nobody else eats out in Carolina? Doesn't anyone have their favorites? C'mon!
One of my favorite places at the beach (KittyHawk) is the Rundown Cafe' the food is excellent and they have a nice variety of things that are not your average "I can get better at home" dishes. It's not too expensive and the atmosphere is nice and "beachy".
Anyone else??

Old 07-06-2008, 01:47 PM

709 posts, read 2,211,664 times
Smile Places on the Outer Banks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebediel View Post
I guess other than dsobotta nobody else eats out in Carolina? Doesn't anyone have their favorites? C'mon!
One of my favorite places at the beach (KittyHawk) is the Rundown Cafe' the food is excellent and they have a nice variety of things that are not your average "I can get better at home" dishes. It's not too expensive and the atmosphere is nice and "beachy".
Anyone else??
I used to love eating at Sam & Omie's in Nags Head, also I love the crab cakes at the Lone Cedar on the causeway to Manteo.

Other than those it looks like some of my favorite outer banks spots have disappeared. It might be time for a trip out there this fall.

Old 07-06-2008, 02:20 PM

8,575 posts, read 1,842,575 times
hahaha! dsobotta, if you like andy's custard, you must never have had kohl's. I know what you might be thinking, "but I don't like severed fingers in my custard." if you can get passed that image, they custard is second to none. unfortunately, they only have their wrightsville beach location left. all the other ones closed down. I had really good seafood at some place called, riverfront, I think that's what it was called. it is in snead's ferry, and they have excellent catfish. if you are in wilmington, it just depends on what you want. pt's for a burger, flaming amy's for a burrito, indochine for asian cuisine. I know all the eateries around here!

Old 07-06-2008, 03:21 PM

3,758 posts, read 4,891,185 times
Well, I'd like to give a "Shout-out" to the newly open Ruddy Duck on Morehead City's waterfront (at the site of the old Key West). It's been nicely remodeled and we ate there last night out on the deck--until a thunderstorm squall chased us inside. A live musician with guitar and fine voice played and sang island and classic favorites--which was such a welcome touch, being outside by the water with good tunes playing softly in the background.

We thought the food, setting and special touches were a great value for the money, and priced less than others in its class. Guess I would call it "casual fine dining." You can come in tee-shirt and fip-flops or dress up, and feel comfortable either way.

My entree of pepper-rolled tuna steak ($14.99) came done to perfection as per my request for medium rare. The generous portion of tuna was served over a bed of ratoutille (sauteed eggplant, red bell peppers and tomatoes and onion) along with some very yummy cheesy roasted, creamy potatoes (I could dine happily on just a big bowl of those). The tuna was topped with some arugula so the presentation was very pleasing to the eye--as well as palate.

My husband loved his Cajun seafood gumbo and since he doesn't care for mussels, I got to enjoy those succulent little beauties and they were very fine.

Though we were full, I couldn't resist ordering a favorite dessert to share--the key lime pie. It was some of the best I've had. Most restaurants seem to serve the same frozen variety, but Ruddy Duck's version seemed homemade with an unusual and quite delicious thin crust. The pie filling itself was bursting with that great blend of sweet and tart lime flavor that's so interesting--and refreshing after a meal. Perfect.

Though the place was packed with holiday diners, the service was cheerful and attentive and all the staff welcoming--they seemed happy to be there. The bar was buzzing.

It was one of those special nights one hopes for dining out--good friends, good food and Mother Nature delivered some drama to keep things interesting. We'll be back. Gotta try their chocolate bread pudding which they'd run out of--heard it was really good...

So there, that's Little Dolphin's capsule review of the newly opened Ruddy Duck, hot off the press. Little Dolphin is not feeling quite so little today (burp).

Hugs,

Little Dolphin, your scribe and restaurant reviewer

Old 07-07-2008, 07:58 AM

Thank You! Now that's more like it. I bet it didn't even hurt. I'm sure there have to be more out there.

Old 07-08-2008, 02:16 PM

53 posts, read 127,123 times
I have two picks, both in Nags Head:

1. Tortuga's Lie--On milepost 11, very accessible to the beach. They have an excellent white pizza. Prices are a little high, though. One of my friends ordered a seafood platter that cost over $30 (of course, that's what you get when you order fresh coastal seafood). Still, I enjoyed the cultural experience. The overall atmosphere was small, intimate, and beachy. And if you get bored during the meal, the collection of out-of-state license plates on the wall is good to look at!

2. Mulligan's--Satisfactory, located closer to the main road and the little shops alongside it, like The Cotton Gin. They have excellent grilled foods and burgers. Again, it is a tad pricy for a poor college student like me, but it was another small, intimate place where I could enjoy eating out with friends. The interior lighting is a bit dim, so it offers a very calming ambiance.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:56 AM

1 posts, read 2,217 times
I live in EI for the summer and I have two absolute favorites

1. Church Street - Its a small, very friendly sandwich shop and pub. They have by far the best BLT I've ever gotten. We make it a point to go at least once a week. They are very reasonably priced and the food and service are always top notch. They also have a sanitary rating of 101 - my kind of place.

2. Riverside - Whenever my boyfriend and I are doing a nice dinner this is always my choice. They have the best sweet potato muffins that come with the salad and every meal I've had has been out of this world. My favorite is the tuna on grits with prosciutto ham. If you happen to catch them on a night when they are having the scallop nachos as an appetizer, do not turn those down. They are amazing.

Well those are my two favorites, hope you enjoy!

Old 07-31-2009, 02:43 PM
LLN
Status: "If you keep looking back, you can't move forward" (set 3 days ago)

3,444 posts, read 3,852,146 times
I would put money up that the best restaurant in Eastern NC is The Chelsea in New Bern, but I personally like to eat at home the best.

lln
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina