U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Thread summary:

Visiting North Carolina: buying a home, vacation planning, holiday, beach, ocean.

 
Old 06-26-2008, 07:49 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
665 posts, read 1,747,872 times
Reputation: 220

Advertisements

I live in TN I would like to visit the beaches. We have a 4 yr old granddaughter with us . What would be a good place to visit, and maybe some info on buying a home.I miss the ocean very much. We don't have ALOT of $, just average peolpe. Thank you!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-26-2008, 07:58 AM
 
Location: Cary and Wilmington, NC
217 posts, read 1,031,786 times
Reputation: 107
Carolina / Kure Beach are great vacation spots. If you're looking to purcahse, I would imagine you would need at least $500k for a single family home. You might be able to get a condo for around $300k(????).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2008, 09:56 AM
 
Location: Cape Carteret, NC
713 posts, read 3,472,030 times
Reputation: 543
Smile Try Emerald Isle, Cape Carteret, Swansboro

Quote:
Originally Posted by phyll View Post
I live in TN I would like to visit the beaches. We have a 4 yr old granddaughter with us . What would be a good place to visit, and maybe some info on buying a home.I miss the ocean very much. We don't have ALOT of $, just average people. Thank you!!!!!!
Emerald Isle to Atlantic Beach is a great family beach area with a wide variety of accommodations and activities.

Try my travel guides for Emerald Isle (http://coastalnc.org/emeraldislenctravelguidecd - broken link) and Swansboro.

There are lots of activities in the Emerald Isle area for younger children.

The Aquarium in Pine Knoll Shores (12 miles or so) is one of my favorites, as is Fort Macon, and the Maritime Museum in Beaufort.

Make sure you go for a walk on Bogue Inlet Pier in Emerald Isle. It's free and the kids really enjoy walking out over the ocean. My favorite ice cream spot is the Sweet Spot in the heart of Emerald Isle. Mike's in Emerald Isle is great for an inexpensive lunch.

As for buying property, there are homes within six or seven miles of the beaches in the Cape Carteret area for under $170K.

I have lots of beach pictures linked from this post.

I try to check the forum at least once a day so if you have questions on your trip, I'll usually catch them within 24 hrs.

You can check out my map of the area to see services and where things are located. Just zoom in a few clicks and then select one of the places to see where it is on the map.

The water is great along the Crystal Coast. I did my first ocean swim this year on June 3.

What part of Tennessee are you from? I went to high school in Chattanooga and still have friends there and in Newport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2008, 10:06 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
665 posts, read 1,747,872 times
Reputation: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsobotta View Post
Emerald Isle to Atlantic Beach is a great family beach area with a wide variety of accommodations and activities.

Try my travel guides for Emerald Isle (http://coastalnc.org/emeraldislenctravelguidecd - broken link) and Swansboro.

There are lots of activities in the Emerald Isle area for younger children.

The Aquarium in Pine Knoll Shores (12 miles or so) is one of my favorites, as is Fort Macon, and the Maritime Museum in Beaufort.

Make sure you go for a walk on Bogue Inlet Pier in Emerald Isle. It's free and the kids really enjoy walking out over the ocean. My favorite ice cream spot is the Sweet Spot in the heart of Emerald Isle. Mike's in Emerald Isle is great for an inexpensive lunch.

As for buying property, there are homes within six or seven miles of the beaches in the Cape Carteret area for under $170K.

I have lots of beach pictures linked from this post.

I try to check the forum at least once a day so if you have questions on your trip, I'll usually catch them within 24 hrs.

You can check out my map of the area to see services and where things are located. Just zoom in a few clicks and then select one of the places to see where it is on the map.

The water is great along the Crystal Coast. I did my first ocean swim this year on June 3.

What part of Tennessee are you from? I went to high school in Chattanooga and still have friends there and in Newport.
I am ORIGIONALLY from jersey, the shore area, I have lived in TN 9mnths. I live near Morristown.I think tnis beautiful, but down in my heart I miss the ocean. My husband wants no part of moving back to N.J. too expensive and crazy.(I miss the crazy).I saw your beautiful pictures in the other posts, made me homesick.If I can't move there , I would like to visit. You seem very informed, do you know how long it is from Morristown area to the area you wrote of? I truly appreciate all your help. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2008, 10:55 AM
 
Location: Cape Carteret, NC
713 posts, read 3,472,030 times
Reputation: 543
Smile I am guessing 8 hours or less

Quote:
Originally Posted by phyll View Post
I am ORIGIONALLY from jersey, the shore area, I have lived in TN 9mnths. I live near Morristown.I think tnis beautiful, but down in my heart I miss the ocean. My husband wants no part of moving back to N.J. too expensive and crazy.(I miss the crazy).I saw your beautiful pictures in the other posts, made me homesick.If I can't move there , I would like to visit. You seem very informed, do you know how long it is from Morristown area to the area you wrote of? I truly appreciate all your help. Thank you!
This is a Google map of how to get from Morristown to Cape Carteret.

I am assuming I40 would be the best way to get down to NC.

It is about five hours from Statesville to the beach.

We like to avoid the Durham to Raleigh traffic jam so we usually take 421 south in Greensboro instead of staying on I40. We pick up I40 again in Cary and a few miles east of Raleigh the speed limit goes up to 70

I hope you have a great visit. You can check the weather at this link (http://www.accuweather.com/forecast-15day.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=0&zipChg=1& zipcode=28594&metric=0 - broken link).

We rarely have full days of rain, usually afternoon or evening showers this time of year.

You note has made me remember how many nice folks I know from Tennessee. Our good friends in Roanoke, Va grew up in Morristown. I believe one of their mothers still lives there.

I know some nice ones from New Jersey also I just helped a guy who worked in NJ find a place on the White Oak River. (pictures of the White Oak)

He's really excited. He's a fisherman and tired of the cold winters.

Then there's my college roommate who lives in Forked River, but he's half viking so he doesn't mind the cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2008, 11:58 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
665 posts, read 1,747,872 times
Reputation: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsobotta View Post
This is a Google map of how to get from Morristown to Cape Carteret.

I am assuming I40 would be the best way to get down to NC.

It is about five hours from Statesville to the beach.

We like to avoid the Durham to Raleigh traffic jam so we usually take 421 south in Greensboro instead of staying on I40. We pick up I40 again in Cary and a few miles east of Raleigh the speed limit goes up to 70

I hope you have a great visit. You can check the weather at this link (http://www.accuweather.com/forecast-15day.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=0&zipChg=1& zipcode=28594&metric=0 - broken link).

We rarely have full days of rain, usually afternoon or evening showers this time of year.

You note has made me remember how many nice folks I know from Tennessee. Our good friends in Roanoke, Va grew up in Morristown. I believe one of their mothers still lives there.

I know some nice ones from New Jersey also I just helped a guy who worked in NJ find a place on the White Oak River. (pictures of the White Oak)

He's really excited. He's a fisherman and tired of the cold winters.

Then there's my college roommate who lives in Forked River, but he's half viking so he doesn't mind the cold.


Thank you for all your help. The pictures are beautiful!I didn't realize .N.carolina was 8 hrs, I must have been thinking of S.Carolina, and I do know the map difference, but not the cost housing and living difference.I also know someone who moved from Forked river to TN.The peolpe in TN are very nice.It's nice for once to hear someone say they new "nice"Jersey folks,I ususally get, "oh your"re from Jersey?You seem nice"we are NOT all fresh! LOL.I am in morristown to shop quite a bit. The lakes are very nice, but they're not the ocean.Thanks for your help , know anything of S. Carolina , I heard that's a little closer to TN....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2008, 04:55 PM
 
Location: Cape Carteret, NC
713 posts, read 3,472,030 times
Reputation: 543
Smile South Carolina would be lots different

The Myrtle Beach area is about three hours from us, but it is on a different planet.

It's two different kinds of beaches. Myrtle Beach is highly developed, almost wall to wall high rise condos and houses and the Crystal Coast has National Forest and National Seashore with mostly rental homes for accommodations.

It just depends on what you like and what you are looking for.

It's been a long time (years) since I have been to Atlantic City or Cape May so the analogy might be a little off.

Myrtle Beach would be more like Atlantic City without the casinos (I think) and our area is more like Cape May with public access to beach and lots fewer people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2008, 04:28 PM
 
Location: Tennessee
665 posts, read 1,747,872 times
Reputation: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsobotta View Post
The Myrtle Beach area is about three hours from us, but it is on a different planet.

It's two different kinds of beaches. Myrtle Beach is highly developed, almost wall to wall high rise condos and houses and the Crystal Coast has National Forest and National Seashore with mostly rental homes for accommodations.

It just depends on what you like and what you are looking for.

It's been a long time (years) since I have been to Atlantic City or Cape May so the analogy might be a little off.

Myrtle Beach would be more like Atlantic City without the casinos (I think) and our area is more like Cape May with public access to beach and lots fewer people.
Thanks for good information! I lived 45 minutes from A.C. I wasn't a fan, I really didn't dig the casinos so much, crowded and smoky .I know Cape May too, ., have family there much rather be at Cape May by far!!! Ad I am sorry for the senior moment, you are bythe Chrystal coast?, sorry, and thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top