U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2008, 12:05 AM

57 posts, read 216,346 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I'll try to be as quick as possible...live in California, hate it. Looking for a place to raise our children. My dream is to live on the coast. I love the sand between my toes and the smell of ocean breezes! But, I first need to think of my family. So here goes....

Looking for:
1) safety. We currently live in crime central. These crimes include gangs, meth and theft. Law enforcement seems to be trying, but its just gotten out of hand.

2) slower pace of life. As we near 40, we can see that "having it all" isn't as important as we thought.

3)a job. My husband is in (commercial) construction management. He has an MBA in finance though and could work in other industries.

4)great schools. Our children our currently in private school and that is something we would consider again, but it would also be nice to go to the neighborhood school.

5)bigger church, maybe 1000 or so people? That is just what we are used to.

6) great community spirit. We want to jump right in and be a part. We love meeting people.

7) We would like to keep housing prices from $250,000-325,000

So, does this exist on coastal NC? Any recommendations are appreciated, including non-coastal NC areas.

Caroline
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2008, 08:14 AM

144 posts, read 608,845 times
Hey Caroline, I live in Moyock, NC on the border of NC/VA. I'm sure there are places in NC that would fit the bill but to be honest I would recommend the VA Beach area. The thousand person Church will be easier to find there. The crime is not terrible in most of the places and the beach is somewhat nice (although not as nice as carolina's). The public schools are very highly rated and there are plenty of private as well. If you don't have to live right on the beach and would be content with living within 30mins of the beach I would recommend Chesapeake, VA. There are good schools (again public and private) some bigger Churches which I'd be glad to recommend a couple, plenty of jobs as it is next to Norfolk, VA and a part of the Hampton Roads area which has a plethora of companies and opportunities. The cost of living will probably be less that CA and you would be 30 mins from VA Beach and about an hour from the OBX (Carolina Beaches - is an affectionate abbrev. for Outer Banks). Chesapeake is a fairly close knit community but it is growing fast. It has much of the small town feel but also much of the suburbian convenience. I'll probably get into trouble with my NC compatriots for recommending VA but I don't know much about places in NC even though I live here. Sorry to all my Carolinian friends! I'm sure that some of them will be able to recommend some equally good spots in Carolina!

Last edited by Ebediel; 06-28-2008 at 08:18 AM.. Reason: After thought

Old 06-28-2008, 08:58 AM

8,575 posts, read 6,359,560 times
you could definitely find a place to live in wilmington for that price, but there is bad crime here for the size of the town. I am used to big city crime having lived in detroit, DC, and memphis. it's not like that here, but the crime index is high and drug use is also high. you might consider raleigh. you'd be less than 2 hours from the beach, job opportunities galore, lower housing prices than the coast, and extremely low crime. not sure how k-12 schools are, but the raleigh area is home to NC state, UNC chapel hill, and duke university.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinemoveswhere? View Post
Hello all,

I'll try to be as quick as possible...live in California, hate it. Looking for a place to raise our children. My dream is to live on the coast. I love the sand between my toes and the smell of ocean breezes! But, I first need to think of my family. So here goes....

Looking for:
1) safety. We currently live in crime central. These crimes include gangs, meth and theft. Law enforcement seems to be trying, but its just gotten out of hand.

2) slower pace of life. As we near 40, we can see that "having it all" isn't as important as we thought.

3)a job. My husband is in (commercial) construction management. He has an MBA in finance though and could work in other industries.

4)great schools. Our children our currently in private school and that is something we would consider again, but it would also be nice to go to the neighborhood school.

5)bigger church, maybe 1000 or so people? That is just what we are used to.

6) great community spirit. We want to jump right in and be a part. We love meeting people.

7) We would like to keep housing prices from $250,000-325,000

So, does this exist on coastal NC? Any recommendations are appreciated, including non-coastal NC areas.

Caroline

Old 06-28-2008, 12:56 PM

36 posts, read 121,751 times
Hi Caroline Moves Where!
Sometimes I feel like a broken record, but if you look through Coastal NC you will see where I have talked specifically about the area in which we live, Topsail Island & Hampstead.

But before you start narrowing down an area, I suggest that you check the sites below for the career information and job openings in our area of NC. If you are like us, the paycheck is important for maintaining life on the planet!

NC JOBS

The Employment Security Commission of North Carolina Employment Security Commission

North Carolina Jobs | North Carolina Careers | North Carolina Employment

Job Seekers

Good luck in your search!

Old 06-28-2008, 04:22 PM

19,527 posts, read 17,776,450 times
You should have no problem finding a place like you want along coastal NC but I highly doubt you will finds a church with 1000 + people. Our towns and city are just no that big. Most churches I have seen are lucky to get 100 to 150 attending each sunday.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:03 PM

61 posts, read 269,792 times
While I agree the crime indexes are high, I think to some degree it's overblown. There are bad sections andf good sections. If you live out in the burbs, crime is low. And for $250 to $350, you can afford many nice areas. Part of the thing is it's a smal ltown, they still have a half hour news show to fill, so every little crime is mentioned. Also it's all relative. Many of the people who complain about crime traffic, etc, are use to the way things were here 20 years ago. I'm still waiting to see all this traffic everyone complains about.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:59 AM

1 posts, read 1,783 times
Hi Caroline,
Not sure if you are still checking this blog, but I am in the same boat you were (are) and was wondering where you deicded to move. Thanks!
Tracey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina