U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 07:43 AM

43 posts, read 60,567 times

Advertisements

We purchased a lot in the Sea Watch Community. We saw their other communities like Seascape, River's Edge & Ocean Ridge. SeaWatch is off of 211 several miles from Southport. It is not a golf community which appealed to us and they really try to preserve the natural landscape. The state is building a bridge from the mainland to oak island
and seawatch will have a beach house for the use of its residents and other amenities in the communitiy - tennis, canoeing and kayaking as well. We are told that this bridge will make the trip to the beach 5 min Supposedly the port will be a plus, but who knows. You can PM me if you have any questions. They have already started building homes there. Just FYI,we were down there last Feb or April when there was alot of rain. There was flooding the closer we got to Southport and traffic had to be diverted.Some of the communities down there were flooded. It made me wonder if there was a hurricane or whatever how easy would it be to get to Rt 17 from there. I know they are planning to expand Rt 211. Maybe someone else who lives there could comment on that and that Boiling Springs has a Nuclear Power plant. Of course, we found that out after we bought. Also check your health benefits to see if they are accepted in NC and how your pension is taxed. You can PM if you have any questions. Aside from the fact that we will probably be glowing-literally- from the nearby power plant, we are looking to build in a couple of years. (I've been told they're very safe).My husband is a retired cop as well. What I love about the area is you're between Wilmington and Myrtle Beach. Best of Luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2007, 06:46 PM

2,784 posts, read 7,330,796 times
Capt Bob- I agree there is a huge glut of homes on the market there. Just for a sense of pricing, I have been following the prices of Condos at Barefoot Landing in North Myrtle Beach, for about a year. This is a very popular golf destination having 4 "designed" courses, close to the beach, ammenities etc. The prices for these 2 bedroom, 2 bath condos has dropped over 20,000 in the past 8-10 months and I'm still seeing many on the market.
I would also encourage you to take advantage of the "free stays" that these places are offering. The "pitch" is definitely there but fairly easy to walk away from. We'll be there in April too!
Have a ton of fun!

Old 01-23-2007, 09:31 PM

1 posts, read 5,149 times
Smile South Brunswick Islands Lover

Hi Captain Bob,

Let me begin by saying I am a real estate broker, and a rookie. I moved down to Sunset Beach in September 2006, with my father. My mother passed away and being an only child I have been helping my dad transition and heal after the loss. I have spent the past 18 years in PR/Marketing in the movie industry. So I am definitely still getting my bearings in the real estate industry.

I do believe that the South Brunswick Islands of North Carolina will soon be the premiere destination for baby boomers. When I visited the area in July 2006, searching for a home for my 76 year old father, we started in Myrtle Beach. I remember yearly visits there as a child and fishing expeditions out of Little River, SC. And of course digging into the seafood in Calabash, NC only a mile to the north.

We found the further north we ventured the more we liked it. Myrtle Beach was so congested and commercial. I grew up in a small rural town in NC called Thomasville, known for textiles and of course furniture. I grew up on a dairy farm and really enjoyed the small town feel. This reminds me of home but the ocean is right next door.

I found a home for my father in Calabash, NC, but the sale of his home was delayed so we decided on a long term rental. We ended up at Sea Trail Plantation in Sunset Beach. And we absolutely love it. We are renting one of the Villas at Osprey Ridge, about 1700 sq ft and 3 br, 3bths. Our villa overlooks the fairway of one of the four golf courses at Sea Trail. Right now the villas are selling around $395,000. I enjoy daily walks on the beach, and with the east/west position of Sunset Beach, we enjoy sunrises and sunsets.

Prices in the area have escalated almost 20% a year for the last two years. We are now seeing a major slowdown which has provided price stabilization and some aggressive rollbacks. Prices on the ocean front are in my opinion highly inflated right now, but I strongly feel that you will find some great buys in early spring.

One thing to keep in mind, if you live on any of the islands, if hurricanes approach, evacuation is mandatory. With that in mind, and considering my elderly father, I chose to look for a home on the mainland, Sea Trail, which is only a mile from the wooden bridge to Sunset Beach.

Brunswick County, NC, from Calabash, NC, Sunset Beach, NC, Ocean Isle Beach, NC, Holden Beach, NC, up to Oak Island, NC, you will find some of the most beautiful coastline anywhere. These are areas that have passed under the radar because of the focus on Florida as the premiere retirement relocation area. But the heat, high taxes, and high insurance costs are driving people our way.

For example in the Calabash/Sunset Beach area, taxes are only .54 on $100! And since our insurance industry in NC is regulated by an elected official, we are not facing what is happening in Florida and even South Carolina. I am hearing that condo owners in Myrtle Beach have faced a 700% increase in home owners insurance rates recently.

Captain Bob, I have been a little long winded, but I wanted to post a response after reading your post. Yes, I am a broker here, but my intent was not to make a sales pitch. This area sells itself once you visit.

Moderator cut: no advertising please

There are over 36 golf courses in the area, beautiful sandy beaches, deep sea fishing, and plenty of southern hospitality.

Come and enjoy.

Regards,

Monty Winters
Moderator cut: no advertising please

Last edited by autumngal; 12-29-2007 at 09:22 PM.. Reason: no advertising per TOS

Old 01-24-2007, 11:31 AM

3,336 posts, read 12,642,171 times
[quote=Capt Bob;288182]Exdo1/ 25 and done from big city in North Jersey. Tired of commuting and all the other BS. I moved to the shore area years ago and absolutely love the bay and ocean. Wife is hesitant about moving but we will come up in the summertime and holidays to be with family and friends. I do not have much info on the area but like you I have friends that moved to NC/SC area. The problem that I am aware of in Florida and I guess the Carolinas is the enormous increase in flood and wind insurance to be in a a coastal area. You also have to make sure you are on an elevated piece of land if possible because it is inevitable that a hurricane will hit the areas mentioned and probably New Jersey with the global warming that we seen this winter. Good luck with your search and you can learn alot when reading all the posts on this forum. By the way after 30 years your going to work and losing money LOL.[/QUOTE]

I know, just finding it a bit hard to wind down.

Old 01-24-2007, 06:48 PM

14 posts, read 51,280 times
EXDO,
You have to make the desicion that best suits yourself and family. I worked with plenty of guys that stayed on too long and unfortunately some died before they retired. Life is to short so good luck with your decision.

Old 01-24-2007, 06:59 PM

14 posts, read 51,280 times
Sunsetlover/
I agree with you that the South NC coast is beautiful. That area along with the rest of most of the country near the coast has seen a dramatic increase of real estate prices. The area where I live has almost doubled in approx. 4 years and now the prices are easing back and there is a tremendous inventory of homes. DR Horton and Centex homes have contacted me and keep offering discounts over and over on there large inventory of unsold homes in the North Carolina/Soth Carolina market. Supply and demand. So any body that does not get a fantastic deal on a home in my opinion in the area is foolish. A lttle bit of research goes a long way.

Old 08-08-2007, 06:16 AM

43 posts, read 99,913 times
Default Brunswick County Developments

Just purchased a lot in SeaWatch at Sunset Harbor on Route 211 about 8 miles from Southport. There are NUMEROUS new developments beginning on Route 211. All kinds of prices, too. Might want to get yourself a good Realtor to help to acquire more information about these properties. Also pick up a copy of "Where to Retire". There are a lot of ads and a card you can complete to obtain more information. Area is very nice.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:37 PM

2,784 posts, read 7,330,796 times
h2ostr- Congrats on your purchase! When do you plan to move? And what made you choose that location?
We love the area!

Old 08-09-2007, 05:05 PM

219 posts, read 788,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Bob View Post
I have been reading this forum for months and it is very informative. I'm looking to purchase a home in the Brunswick County region. I have not made up my mind yet about which town, Sunset Beach, Ocean Isle Beach, Holden Beach areas. I'd like to several miles back from the beach area and in an area with a clubhouse and pool and close to a marina. Pros and Cons are welcome I would be in the 300-400,000 range. I looked in the Myrtle Beach area and it was to congested for myself and wifes liking. Thanks for any feedback.
Cap
Think you should stay in the Brunswick County area.
The price you are looking at ........300 400k range.
There are lots of developments both older and new that meet what you can handle.
And meet your needs. Clubhouse, pool close to a marina and even golf course homes are available. Of course, if want to go crazy there are plenty who will run the price to 500k to a million.
You just have to burn your fingers on the computer to search and search and search.
While Judy and I are out of that price range league we did find a great place that fit our money needs.
Probably the best advice I can give is to get a real estate agent down in NC to help you.
We found a great lady who found our place and many others. Good lady.
Best of luck.
Denny / Woodlynne NJ

Old 08-12-2007, 10:52 AM

43 posts, read 99,913 times
Default Sea Watch

Hi JerseyJ.

We hope to start construction on our new home sometime October 2008 if all goes well. Roads and utilities will not be in till 2009, so we can dry build and then hook in. Have to interview a few more builders first.
We spent a week going from Albamarle down to Southport. We really liked that SeaWatch was NOT on a golf course, but had lots of other ammenities. Also there is shopping, medical centers, lots of restaurants, and most of all, an international aiport nearby. All on the plus side of what we were looking for. Where do you live?

S
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina