U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 06:20 PM

419 posts, read 1,241,994 times

Advertisements

I'd suggest that you move down and rent a place for a year or so. There are two advantages to this. You could feel out several communities and find one thats right for you. Second, the NC coastal market is in the midst of a major correction. Don't believe the hype that the market has corrected and things are where they should be. Prices may not go down any further but they sure as heck will not be on the rise during the next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 12:31 AM

404 posts, read 544,639 times
I have a question about the area, and didn't want to start an entire thread just to get one answer. The coastal area of North Caroline gained points after tracking down taxes on the purchase and registration of a new car. I'm looking at Holden Beach, anyways,

Are all or most of the beaches in Brunswick county public? Will I have an issue finding good places to lay around listening to the surf?

Thanks,

William

Old 08-15-2007, 10:57 AM

419 posts, read 1,241,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepizzaguy View Post
I have a question about the area, and didn't want to start an entire thread just to get one answer. The coastal area of North Caroline gained points after tracking down taxes on the purchase and registration of a new car. I'm looking at Holden Beach, anyways,

Are all or most of the beaches in Brunswick county public? Will I have an issue finding good places to lay around listening to the surf?

Thanks,

William
I believe that all the beaches are public and offer free parking at various intervals along the beach. I'll warn you that these spaces fill up quick during the summer. The only exception may be Bald Head Island. The beaches there are public but you have to pay $15 for a ferry ride to get there. Plus you have to rent a golf cart or bike to get from the marina to the beaches. IMHO, this makes for a nice day trip.

Old 08-15-2007, 01:27 PM

404 posts, read 544,639 times
Thanks for the answer. So I CAN walk from one end of the beach to the other like it was in the70's without running into fenced of or private property.

The last time I was on a ferry was to cross the James river on my way to Williamsburg. Sound like taking a ferry on a day trip could be a small adventure.

Old 08-21-2007, 02:22 PM

2 posts, read 3,940 times
Ocean Isle Beach is a little bit of heaven. I am only 38 but can think of nothing else but retiring there...working hard on the 401k to get there some day

Ocean Ridge is just beautiful...the big cats golf courses are gorgeous. Also the new Ocean Isle Palms is quite impressive....congrats on the ability to retire...can't wait!!!

Old 08-21-2007, 05:34 PM

2,784 posts, read 7,328,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2otstr View Post
Hi JerseyJ.

We hope to start construction on our new home sometime October 2008 if all goes well. Roads and utilities will not be in till 2009, so we can dry build and then hook in. Have to interview a few more builders first.
We spent a week going from Albamarle down to Southport. We really liked that SeaWatch was NOT on a golf course, but had lots of other ammenities. Also there is shopping, medical centers, lots of restaurants, and most of all, an international aiport nearby. All on the plus side of what we were looking for. Where do you live?

S
Hi S,
We have loved the area for many years and finally bought a lot in Ocean Ridge Plantation 3 years ago (we are golfers). They are home to the 4 "Big Cat" golf courses, soon to be 5.
I am quite jealous that you are about 10 years ahead of us in your building plans
We are members of the golf courses, so go down as often as possible and kick the dirt on our lot and dream about the day.

Good luck with your plans and take notes for us about builders etc!
jj

Old 08-22-2007, 05:22 PM

219 posts, read 788,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
Hi S,
We have loved the area for many years and finally bought a lot in Ocean Ridge Plantation 3 years ago (we are golfers). They are home to the 4 "Big Cat" golf courses, soon to be 5.
I am quite jealous that you are about 10 years ahead of us in your building plans
We are members of the golf courses, so go down as often as possible and kick the dirt on our lot and dream about the day.

Good luck with your plans and take notes for us about builders etc!
jj
H2 and JJ and all the rest of you.
I hate you all so much.
I am so darn jealous.
Good luck folks.
LIVE YOUR DREAMS.
MAKE THE RIGHT DECISIONS unlike njprintman.
Dennis

Old 09-08-2007, 11:37 AM

190 posts, read 769,036 times
Red face Pricing for Brunswick area Developments

Also looking at this area for retirement.

We are headed to Bald Island for a vacation and thought we might drive through a few.

Don't want to waste time though on ones that are out of our price range, and don't want to spend all week driving around looking at RE as this is a birthday celebration and we want time just to unwind.

We are looking in 300-400K range for complete package - house and land. Home size 1,500-1,800 sq ft. We would love a home with a basement, but I know that is unusual in NC.

Want a development that respects nature, doesn't have homes back to back, and don't really care about the golf or having a gated community.

Pluses for us are proximity to ocean, access to boating, fishing, amenities like shops, village store, pool. Quiet, peaceful, walking/biking trails.

Can anyone recommend which ones fit out price range? We like the looks of Seawatch at Sunset Harbor, but again, they list no prices. Ocean Isle Palms also looked nice, but no prices listed.

Someone mentioned a place where they were able to buy land and not build for 10 years. Can anyone tell me what price ranges land runs? I see some sites that say "from the 200s" and figure that's going to be way out of our range by the time you build, but I don't know what the building costs are down there.

Old 09-08-2007, 02:26 PM

2,784 posts, read 7,328,424 times
macdebbie,
You might want to cruise through the web site 'live south", click on coastal NC and they list quite a few developments in the Brunswick Co. area. We also looked at Coastal Communities and Plantation Properties.
We are bombarded with mailing and phone calls from developments in this area so I understand your confusion. It is pretty overwhelming!
If you look at realtor.com and type in 28469 or 28461 that will show you some of the properties available in the area too.
Good luck with your research
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina