U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2008, 04:00 PM

16 posts, read 70,866 times

Advertisements

I have read numerous posts about NC attitudes towards Hispanics, in particular Mexicans, but none have been helpful in alleviating my concerns . . .

My teenage daughter and I are looking forward to moving from Southern CA to the Crystal Coast in a couple of years time. We have already made two trips this past year to look around, get a feel for the place (as much as one can in a few days time) and see if we can figure out where we want to live. Every trip reminds us how much we love NC and how excited we are to make this move.

However, in reading the NC forums to get additional insight into where we want to live I cannot help but notice that there is a great deal of negativity expressed towards Mexicans who have chosen to make NC home. The perception seems to be that most are uneducated, illegal, and unwelcome.

And so, therein lies my concern: my daughter is Mexican, in fact she is a dark skin Mexican (no confusing her for just another cute girl with a great tan), born in Mexico, adopted and brought to this country as a small child (BTW, by way of clarification, I am white/anglo, I am asking therefore out of concern for her).

While it has been our experience thus far that Southern Hospitality is alive and well along the Crystal Coast, our exposure has been as tourists passing through, not as new neighbors wanting to settle in and become a part of your community, attend your church and schools, (date your son?), etc.

Is there anyone out there along the Crystal Coast who can honestly address my concerns? How welcome will my daughter be? Is she going to fit in or always be an outsider? She absolutely loves NC, I just want to make sure that there is a good chance that NC will love her too . . . .

Last edited by mija N' me; 07-02-2008 at 05:01 PM.. Reason: clarification
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 04:11 PM

917 posts, read 2,092,115 times
I certainly can't speak for others but I would be quite happy to have you and your daughter be my neighbors. As long as you are kind honest people I don't care what your ethnicity is. I happen to have a Mexican daughter-in-law. Like your daughter she was born in Mexico and adopted by a wonderful single mom in MA. I wish she and my son lived closer but whenever they come for a visit I have not ever noticed a problem. Hope you decide to come!

Old 07-02-2008, 06:26 PM

713 posts, read 3,473,270 times
Smile There are a lot of good people around

None of us can make a promise that everything will be perfect for you, but it has been my experience that good people are welcomed anywhere.

Our kids all were born in Canada. When we were living in Halifax, Nova Scotia, my son's best friend was from Trinidad and very dark skinned. They were great friends, and I still remember when we moved to Columbia, MD. Someone described another person as being black.

My son was about eight years old and asked me very seriously what did it mean to describe someone as black. It took me a moment to realize that he had no concept of differentiating people by color. To him his friend was his friend, no one had ever said his friend was black so he had no concept of it.

That made me pretty proud of him.

I can also remember worrying briefly when we took our youngest daughter's best friend to the swimming pool at a country club where we were members for a while in Roanoke, Va. She had a black dad and a Spanish mom. My wife had decided to treat it as a non-event and it turned out to be a non-event. They had a great time, and she joined us at the pool a number of times.

Having said that there are no guarantees that you won't run into some idiots.

But I have found most people on the Crystal Coast to be pretty accepting of people no matter what they look like.

You're certainly welcome in our subdivision.

Old 07-02-2008, 06:54 PM

549 posts, read 1,565,660 times
Whoa, whoa, whoa. If you are here LEGALLY then you are welcome. If you are here ILLEGALLY then I'm turning you in to ICE. Fair enough?

Old 07-07-2008, 08:48 AM

53 posts, read 181,764 times
You are correct that there's definitely some racism towards Mexicans in the coastal NC area. I grew up there (though I moved away as a young adult), so I saw the prejudices firsthand. Your daughter will probably be treated OK since you are not migrant workers, but interracial dating is discouraged, especially as you move further inland towards more conservative areas like Washington and Tyrrell County. If you are sold on coastal NC, I would reccomend that you move to Nags Head, Elizabeth City, or Currituck. Since these areas contain more transplants, it will probably be a somewhat more diverse place for you to live.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:23 AM

19,522 posts, read 17,769,056 times
As long as you stay in Craven, Carteret and other coastal counties, you will be fine.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto Heel View Post
Whoa, whoa, whoa. If you are here LEGALLY then you are welcome. If you are here ILLEGALLY then I'm turning you in to ICE. Fair enough?
ICE??? An odd element to choose, why not a pillar of salt instead?

Old 07-12-2008, 09:48 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,616,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mija N' me View Post
ICE??? An odd element to choose, why not a pillar of salt instead?
ICE stands for Immigration and Customs Enforcement

Old 07-12-2008, 09:59 PM

Thank you all for your kind and reassuring responses. I hope they are representative of the pervasive southern attitude.

I must say, I have been reading a multitude of posts about attitudes towards NC transplants in general (regardless of race) and although not always kindly worded I can see the reluctance in accepting "outsiders" . . . hey, I can understand that. I often say my biggest fear is that I will get to NC and half of CA will already have moved there and totally screwed the place up!

I think you will find though that most of us who are willing to pack up all we own, leave behind all we know, and move three thousand miles across country are doing so because we want what you have, not because we want to change what you have.

Old 07-13-2008, 01:18 PM

412 posts, read 1,109,122 times
I think you would do great in Wilmington. There are a LOT of mixed families here. People of all races seem to get along for the most part (although you still have those that are racist). When I was in college a friend that had moved from Raleigh said he was so surprised to see so many people of various races FRIENDS! I really like the fact that Wilmington is so racially diverse. The schools are diverse, so your daughter would be able to go to school with kids of all races and fit right in. My youngest daughter is 7 yrs old and she has friends of all backgrounds/races.

If you were my neighbor I would welcome you and your daughter!

I agree though that as you move further inland you may have problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina