U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 08:29 AM

181 posts, read 558,458 times

Advertisements

I thank you for saying that and I understand that if you live there you are used to that. I'm not so it is hard for me and to many I sound silly. In the Fall we for the last two years have had a mouse after the farmers cut the fields because we live in the country, I hate mice they scare me as well. But we set the traps and in a few days we caught it. The whole time knowing we have a mouse and catching it, I anyways feel like I'm not comfortable in my home anymore. I believe your home is a place that you feel relaxed and at ease. This bugs thing is very hard for me to get pass and I might have read too much from other people that was negative instead of many people who don;t have bug issues in the south. In moving we are loosing our family, friends and just the sense of belonging to a place. Then to find out that you may have to deal with outside issues coming into your home you feel that there will be no place to feel at home. I think we all have something we are fearful of. For me it is mice and we were Foster parents and a child brought lice in and that I wasn't fearful of just grossed out. I'm not afraid of bugs. I have had ants, flies, crickets , months , bee, spiders ans all those. I don;t like them but it doesn't bother me and we have camped in Michigan. I just have a huge fear of water bugs, roaches and anything that in this family. IN Michigan we do have something called a water bug they swim in peoples pools. THey are not 2-4 inches like someone said and I don't think they fly. Anyway I going to get a professional bug company because I think for me that will make me feel better. After calling some in the area they weren't as expensive as I thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 01:39 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,696,039 times
Well, I lived in E. City, and W. Colonial is a very nice little spot to be living, convenient, you can bikeride and enjoy walks everywhere from there for fun, waterfront is nearby, schools are good. As for bugs in E. City, really and truly it's nothing unusual.

Things are rather more noticeable in S.C. and further South, like the Palmetto bugs. Large flying bugs are just not a big "threat" in E. City, and the ones that I have seen are out in the country, and they just look like big moths to me, so I don't pay them any mind at all. Oh, and you put a yellow "bug" light in your lightbulbs at the doors on porches, and those "doorway" evening bugs you're talking about won't hang around.

Getting your house sprayed is a good idea. Heck, New York City has plenty of roaches, so it all depends on how well a home has been kept up, therefore your spraying will take care of that. Sometimes a spider a little bigger than what you're used to will crawl across the floor, but that's what phone books are for. Smile. The trade off is you will SO enjoy the warm summer evenings, sitting out on your porch (preferably a screened one is great), compared to the terrible winter you're putting up with now.

The little bit of winter the area gets, there are no bugs. Really, the biggest problem, I suppose, is mosquitoes. Most people keep a good bug spray handy, so when you go out for any period of time, you can spray on your skin to keep them off, if they bother you. Many women in the South wear hats or scarves or shawls in the evenings.

No, the biggest thing you'll find that is different is the accents. Also, the food is a whole lot yummier, too. And the homes in the area you will be living in are just so charming, you will love the Victorian architecture. Honestly, don't listen to a lot of baloney about bugs. You AND your children will be so happy with your new home, plus the nice weather, and the charming, small Southern town of E. City. You will enjoy many happy years living there amongst a tightnit and easy-going community.

AND you'll only be an hour's drive to the beach, which everyone in town goes there in the summertime because it's so close by. The breezes down there feel great when little heat waves come through town. And the boating on the wide Pasquotank brings big speed races to the community. They actually have parades downtown in the fall for football game pep rallies, which are a lot of fun. I could go on and on. I think it's okay to fear insects... I have the same sort of fear, but I think you are really just feeling anxious about the move, is all.

Old 07-05-2008, 03:54 PM

57 posts, read 246,095 times
Don't forget the black widow spiders and the brown recluse spiders.
Here is a link that has info about spiders,snakes and plants.
Public - Carolinas Poison Center (http://www.ncpoisoncenter.org/Consumers/index.cfm - broken link)

Old 07-06-2008, 12:06 PM

144 posts, read 608,383 times
That's pretty mean qaz. I know that's kind of the pot calling the kettle black but I've apologized and repented.

Old 07-12-2008, 03:21 PM

57 posts, read 246,095 times
Not trying to be mean, just giving the facts so they don't end up in the hospital.
We moved here and nobody told us anything about these critters-we had to find out on our own.
So just exactly where do you find this "southern hospitality"?
And where is "over yawnder"?
I would worry more about the driving hazards around here rather than bugs.

Old 07-12-2008, 03:44 PM

11,419 posts, read 20,262,801 times
When I first moved to No.Va. from Pa. - into an apartment, I saw what I thought was a lightening bug crawling on the floor - Roach, lol - I'd never seen one before.

Old 07-12-2008, 06:39 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,596,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
When I first moved to No.Va. from Pa. - into an apartment, I saw what I thought was a lightening bug crawling on the floor - Roach, lol - I'd never seen one before.
lol what did you think it was a roach with a flashlight and turning it off and on for you? lol

They are some what friendly or dumb take your pick you can pick them up and cusp them to watch them flicker and your hands smell really good afterwards.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:44 AM

40 posts, read 202,144 times
I grew up in eastern NC and, yes, there are definitely waterbugs there!!! I hate those things!!! We live in southern NJ/Philadelphia area now and they just don't have them up here!! But there are a whole lot more spiders up here...

From my experience, the waterbugs get bigger and bigger the further south you go...in New Orleans my friends call them "cajun butterflies"!!!!

Just have your home sprayed inside and outside regularly and you will be fine!

Old 10-07-2008, 05:47 AM

4 posts, read 34,258 times
Insectivora, entomology, bugs, pests, etc... However you may relate to insects, and whether or not you hate them or perhaps find them interesting, there is a simple fact regarding these small animals with exo-sleletons. Without them it would be difficult for us to survive. They aerate our soil, pollinate our plants, turn decaying matter into organic fertilizers, and help to control their own populations.

No matter where you live on this planet except perhaps in polar regions where a deep freeze exists all year round, you will have to deal with insects. Some can be bigger pests than others but you can protect yourself by being aware of their presence and taking proper precautions. Black Widows will go out of their way to avoid you, but know what they and their web looks like so you can avoid them. Their bite is not fatal unless you are allergic or have a weak immune system. Brown Recluse spiders are rarley seem before they bite because as their name suggests they like to hide. Before putting on your shoes dump them out and shake your clothing before putting them on to insure they are not hidding in them. Most brown recluse bites happen that way. Spider bites are rare! For me the biggest pests around my home are the fire ants. Their mounds are easy to spot and can be treated with a special bait that they believe is food. They take it into the nest and eat it. Once this happens the remainder of the colony simply moves to another location usually within 30 feet or so of the old one. You can spread this ant bait around your yard with a spreader and theoretically this will eventually get rid of them, but I have yet to see this happen. None the less I have seen the mounds get smaller and fewer and farther between.

Most of the grubs you turn up in the soil around here are Japanese Beetle larvae. They make excellent trout and panfish bait. Palmetto bugs are more of an aesthetic problem than anything else. There is a spray you can use that you treat all around the outside of the house at the foundation base, then inside around the entire base of your walls. This helps keep the bugs out and is suppose to work for 9 months to a year but it seems to only work for a few months or so.

Mosquitos and gnats can be kept away with repellants and other gagets, and these work pretty good. I've done some camping up in Northern Ontario and found mosquitos and black flies to be more of a problem there than down here. This "Yankee Transplant" is glad to be here and I plan on staying till the end.

The lure of NC for this "Yankee Transplant" should be quite obvious. I don't have to shovel 2 feet of snow from my driveway anymore, I save over $6000 a year in property taxes, the fishing is great and is an all year round activity, the auto traffic is a lot lighter, less road rage, cheaper auto insurance, and more friendly and happier faces!

Insofar as Elizabeth City is concerned, I have been through it many times and it looks like a beautiful place to live. In fact, when my wife and I began looking around for a home this was one place we were interested in. We found a couple of homes to look at one of which was right on the ICW but they sold so quick we never got to look. We had hoped to live a little closer to VA because our son is stationed there, however, we're kind of glad we moved down farther south because it's a bit warmer here in the winter. My only complaint is that there is no easy way to get here from I-95. It's 100+ miles from I-95 to here with no interstate or consistent 4 lane highway so a 1 1/2 hour drive turns into a 2+ hour drive. But if that's the only sacrifice we have to make it's well worth it. Good luck in you new home up in Elizabeth City!

Old 10-08-2008, 10:40 PM

85 posts, read 208,899 times
Can't you just have the exterminator come to your house on a monthly basis? Good grief, I am from northern Indiana and could not stand to live with **** roaches.........no way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina