U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 05:35 PM

181 posts, read 558,315 times

Advertisements

We are moving in two weeks to Elizabeth City. We are from a northern state and besides the typical bugs of summer we don't have ones I have read about on some postings. I should have not read the postings at all because I now really not thrilled with movie if these kind of bugs will be in the area we are going. We have never had roaches they do exsits where we live but most people don't have them. What I'm really worried about are these palmetto bugs and these water bugs. Are they all over North Caolina and are they normal for Elizabeth City area. I had heard that Virginia doesn't have a big problem so with this area being so close I was wondering about it. I was told that South Carolina and Florida and those states have the bigger issue. I also read that about 6:30 outside bugs will gather on doors and screens and some of my kids are young and go in and out. I can tell you all about 15 inches of snow and how to drive ..please help me out here I'm very bothered by this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 08:13 PM

8,575 posts, read 6,352,349 times
I live in wilmington, but I have to imagine elizabeth city can't be too much different. YES, there are lots of bugs here during the summer. palmetto bugs and water bugs are clever names that the relocation committee came up with for cockroaches. they are the american cockroach. just like a normal cockroach, except they are much bigger and they can fly. if you live near water, they will be around. they are pretty easy to control though, and they die easily. the only other things you want to worry about would be ticks and chiggers. chiggers are the worst.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:55 AM

1,810 posts, read 3,280,709 times
Yeah, palmetto bug is a clever name for a giant cockroach. The ticks are terrible, and they're around here all year round. And fleas are gonna be a problem if you have pets (maybe even if you don't). The mosquitoes aren't as bad as I expected, but the others more than make up for them.

My yard's full of ants. The fire ants and the tiny brown ones bite. I like to sit outside and read in the warm weather, but I have to keep my feet up or the ants'll be all over me.

I've got 6 cats, who have their own door. This morning I woke up to the sight of a huge grub of some sort on the dining room floor--one of them must've dragged it in. It was about 4" long, I'm not kidding.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:03 AM

What is a grub. I most likley don't want to know. I have a 6 year old and this summer he is interested in bugs. Most of what he finds in MIchigan aren't a issue.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:13 AM

1,810 posts, read 3,280,709 times
The larva of some sort of huge beetle I think.

Old 07-03-2008, 01:00 PM

144 posts, read 608,271 times
Ellise you're killing me! Bugs are bugs. You get used to them just like everything else. Grubs and slugs too! DID I SAY SLUGS!?

Old 07-03-2008, 02:10 PM

8,575 posts, read 6,352,349 times
sadly enough, you do get used to them. I am used to the cockroaches, but that doesn't mean I like them!

Old 07-03-2008, 06:52 PM

19,505 posts, read 17,748,691 times
If you live in a subdivision you will most likely not have to worry about ticks and chiggers. Roaches are very easy to control. We are in a drought so you probably won't have to worry about mosquitos unless you live in a swampy area. I live south of Elizabeth City and walk my dogs every night at 7:00 and very rarely see bugs. If you live in a heavy wooded area then all bets are off. Beware of ticks, chiggers, and deer flies. the last will hunt you down and are faster than you.
Fire ants are a problem especially after rain. But they can be controlled. Just keep pets and young curious kids away from their mounds.

Old 07-03-2008, 06:57 PM

We are going to live on W. Colonial in Elizabeth City. I decided to have the home sprayed and although I'm sure people think I'm silly I do not know anyone in all 48 years of my life that had roaches. I will not get used to it, I think I don't belong in the South.

Old 07-04-2008, 12:13 AM

144 posts, read 608,271 times
It sounds as though you have a fairly severe phobia about bugs but just let me say I've lived in NC for about 11 years and very few of the people I know have roaches in their homes. You do get used to the bugs and stuff. I'm sorry you don't seem to have a choice about moving here. I've given you just a little bit of teasing but really I hope you will enjoy it in Elizabeth City. I knew just as many people up in PA that had cockroaches as I do down here in NC. I'm sure if you're that worried about it and work to keep them away from your home you will probably not have a problem. Please try not to worry. I'm sorry for poking a little fun earlier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina