U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2008, 06:51 AM

77 posts, read 247,073 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I have a question for you guys. We are planning a last minute vacation and have the opportunity to rent a home in either Surf City or Emerald Isle. We have never been to either area so I have some questions.

What are the major differences between the two areas?
Is one more pet friendly than the other?
I heard that Surf City allows dogs on the beach year round, anyone know if that is true?
Is one area more walkable to restaurants, stores etc than the other?

I have to make a decision by the end of today. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 08:49 AM

1,812 posts, read 3,282,378 times
Surf City does allow dogs, they're supposed to be on a leash though. I've only been to Emerald Isle once; I'd say that SC has more of a small town feel, not that EI is a big city, but it has more high rises along the shoreline.

Old 07-04-2008, 04:16 PM

3 posts, read 10,092 times
emerald isle is nice, it is near many shops and you can always travel 10 minutes to Beaufort which has a really nice boardwalk area with many shops.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:04 AM

9 posts, read 25,563 times
We are looking to move to the coast and need help to narrow it down. We have no children and in our mid 30's and very active especially with our dog. I like that dogs are allowed at Surf City. We spent the day in Southport (oak island) and loved it! One problem, the bar/restaurant that seemed like it would be happening closes at 9pm on a Saturday night!!! While we are looking for a small town, we would like to have some action, even just for a drink on a Friday or Saturday night. Trying to get down there as much as we can to search around, just gets difficult to see so many places and get out there every weekend. Any ideas?

Old 07-20-2009, 10:24 AM

1,676 posts, read 5,356,742 times
Emerald Isle

What are the regulations regarding pets?

Heck-You can even have Horses On The Beach

Old 07-20-2009, 08:15 PM

713 posts, read 3,472,342 times
Smile Thoughts on the Crystal Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC for Me View Post
We are looking to move to the coast and need help to narrow it down. We have no children and in our mid 30's and very active especially with our dog. I like that dogs are allowed at Surf City. We spent the day in Southport (oak island) and loved it! One problem, the bar/restaurant that seemed like it would be happening closes at 9pm on a Saturday night!!! While we are looking for a small town, we would like to have some action, even just for a drink on a Friday or Saturday night. Trying to get down there as much as we can to search around, just gets difficult to see so many places and get out there every weekend. Any ideas?
We had some of the younger members of our family down, and they were looking for some night life in the Emerald Isle area. We recommended Ballyhoos in Emerald Isle. They definitely do not close at nine PM. It is one of our favorite spots.

There are plenty of other places around, including a number in Beaufort and Morehead City. Though we have not been yet, we have heard that Fish Tales in Beaufort (http://www.insiders.com/crystalcoast/wwwads/Fishtales/jump.html - broken link) is fun.

We have enjoyed many evenings walking the board walk in Beaufort and listening to live music well after 9PM. There is usually some live music at the Dockhouse. It is a good place for a beer.

One of the reasons we chose the Crystal Coast over the Southport area was that we found a more active life style on the Crystal Coast.

As for your dogs, we have some great trails in the Croatan National Forest and as others have said dogs are welcome on the beach.

I recommend you take a look at my Beaufort (http://coastalnc.org/beaufortnctravelguidecd - broken link), Emerald Isle (http://coastalnc.org/emeraldislenctravelguidecd - broken link), and Swansboro travel guides.

Read a few articles on my Crystal Coast Blog and have a look at the map and pictures on my reference site.

I would be very surprised if you aren't convinced to come for a visit. The Swansboro through Morehead City area has much to recommend it.

Few people who visit can resist it. It is a special place especially if you love the water and spectacular scenery.

You will have a hard time finding a more fun spot with better modern services in such a great small town environment.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:40 AM

Thank you dsobotta..this sounds perfect and exactly what we are looking for!!! Now the fun part selling the house and finding new jobs!!!!!! Looks like it will be a while before we can make the move but it sounds like it will be well worth it. Hope to get down there soon and find a place to call home.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:01 PM

218 posts, read 428,206 times
Default beach life

I went to S port for the first time yesterday. Absloutly love it. I grew up in Surf City. The bars stay open late but If I had to choose..... Knowing and seeing the things going on now I would go to S.Port.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC for Me View Post

Old 07-22-2009, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorasbox View Post
I went to S port for the first time yesterday. Absloutly love it. I grew up in Surf City. The bars stay open late but If I had to choose..... Knowing and seeing the things going on now I would go to S.Port.
What makes the difference for you? We too loved SP, I am looking for small town and I just loved the downtown area. It seemed perfect even took the dog to lunch with us! We moved from Las Vegas to NC so that was a cultural shock 5 years ago, when places actually close so to see a restaurant close at 9 on a saturday night was a bit much. Not that we are big bar goers but if we have company or would like to go (walk) to dinner I want to know that it's an option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina