Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2008, 11:52 AM

2 posts, read 5,462 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, i am new here. Here is my situation:

I am in the process of trying to get out of a very bad marriage (sorry so personal) I currently live in Michigan, am a native Hoosier, but spent my childhood summers in NC.

My daughter is at Camp Lejuine (not sure if that spelling is correct) and she wants me to come, with my 2 younger daughters, and live near her.

How easy is that going to be, job wise? I only have an associates degree, but I have 5 years paralegal/legal secretary experience. Currently, I run my own wedding/portrait photograhpy business...yes I am willing to leave that behind to start over.

Thank you in advance for your replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 02:33 PM

713 posts, read 3,929,075 times
Smile You might find a job by watching the papers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellylynne1968 View Post
Hello everyone, i am new here. Here is my situation:

I am in the process of trying to get out of a very bad marriage (sorry so personal) I currently live in Michigan, am a native Hoosier, but spent my childhood summers in NC.

My daughter is at Camp Lejuine (not sure if that spelling is correct) and she wants me to come, with my 2 younger daughters, and live near her.

How easy is that going to be, job wise? I only have an associates degree, but I have 5 years paralegal/legal secretary experience. Currently, I run my own wedding/portrait photograhpy business...yes I am willing to leave that behind to start over.

Thank you in advance for your replies!
I often see jobs in the paper for paralegals. In fact there was a part time one in this past weekend's Carteret News Times.

You might check ENC Today Jacksonville Jobs Section. Jacksonville is the closest town to Camp Lejeune.

Swansboro also isn't far but also isn't as large as Jacksonville.

Many people like the laid back lifestyle of Swansboro.

I have no idea if there are enough weddings to support a new business.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:52 AM

144 posts, read 680,031 times
As a paralegal you would probably have no trouble finding a job although the fact that you haven't done it in a while may be a turnoff for some lawyers, but there are plenty so you will probably be able to find someone to work for. This would get you set up with instant income until you could get a photography business back off the ground which also should do well here (assuming of course that photography is your great love and you would rather do that than paralegal work). You will also have a good "in" to military weddings at the base through your daughter.

On a more personal note and this is just a suggestion hopefully you've already thought this through and have taken care of all the logistics. Make sure you have taken care of business where moving your two younger daughters out of state are concerned. If you are coming out of a divorce make sure everything is kosher before moving them away from your X-husband (talk with your lawyer). Custody battles can be very vicious and I've seen women lose their children for moving them out of state without having their "ducks in a row".
Other than that the move should be pretty good.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:44 AM

2 posts, read 5,462 times
thank you. We have no biological children together, thank goodness.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:54 AM

40 posts, read 229,357 times
You could live/work in Jacksonville, New Bern, or Swansboro and be near your daughter. Try to start applying to positions online in the area if you can.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:54 PM

33 posts, read 106,317 times
How close do you want to live to your daughter. New Bern is not too far. Lots of attorneys, if you want to go back to those hours. Beautiful place to live. 2 rivers, close to the beach and about 30 minutes from your daughter.
My husband is from Michigan and I know driving 30 minutes means nothing.
Good luck on your decision!
Martha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina