U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 05:57 PM

181 posts, read 542,764 times

Advertisements

I know this may sound silly but we are moviing to Elizabeth City and I have heard about the beaches and I have never seen the ocean period. We have kids and in MIchigan we have lakes and stuff like that although some are nice to swim in. In Michigan we have fresh water . What will tge differences be for my kids with the ocean and all that is in it and my kids have already said there are sharks in oceans Mom. Where would be the best place and the closet place to swim to Elizabeth City. Just wondering how long into the year before it gets colder do people swim?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 06:18 PM

18,096 posts, read 16,618,330 times
The closest place to elizabeth city will be the outer banks. I believe it is about an hours drive. The biggest difference is of course the salt water and the threat of rip currents. Shark attacks along the outer bnks are very rare. You are more likely to get stung by a jelly fish than to even see a shark. You can probably swim into early October provided no hurricanes come along.

Old 07-06-2008, 06:38 PM

We don't have Jelly Fish so how often does these stings happen and what if you do get a sting.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:26 PM

22,974 posts, read 57,213,700 times
Elizabeth City isnt off the Albermarle Sound. Nags Head Kitty Hawk are about 45 miles to 60 miles from Elizabeth City and there is plenty of beach access points up and down the Outer Banks.

I hope this was not a just point at a map and choose to live there type location . I highly suggest you visit and get a feel of this area.
I dont know what you are use to but Elizabeth City can be a real culture and quality of living shock.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:54 PM

18,096 posts, read 16,618,330 times
Jelly fish don't usually show up until the water is very warm. They are more abundant in the shallows of bays and sounds than the ocean but they are there. read up on them.

Old 07-06-2008, 11:33 PM

4 posts, read 18,373 times
Well I went to the Outerbanks of NC last year for my vacation. I visited Duck, NC. It was in mid June. The Ocean water was so extremely cold that it hurt my bones. I was only getting my feet wet. I cannot imagine anyone swimming in that water. Only a few and might I add a brave few that were in the water. It didn't last long either. The water is cold, very cold.... Don't expect to swim until late August if even then. Oh, and I am from the North in Ohio. I am used to cold water.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:58 AM

144 posts, read 592,730 times
Hi Reese, I don't want you to think I'm stalking you but you happen to ask questions that I can answer. I live in Moyock which is 30 mins from E.C. and also about an hour from the beach. We (my family and I) usually go to Kitty Hawk to the ocean. I have 3 children and we are slightly adventurous but we love the ocean. The water starts warming up in late June usually (although last year was rather cold till later in the summer). It is usually about 68 - 74 degrees, cool but refreshing.

The water is sometimes a little murky but usually the warmer the water the clearer the visibility. Usually by mid July it is fairly clear. If there is anything that makes the water uncomfortable it is when there is lots of seaweed floating in it but you learn not to pay that much attention to it. Stinging nettles are not usually too much of a problem but if you do get stung which does happen occasionally it is usually just a minor skin irritation (little redness, stinging sensation, itching). It usually goes away after 20mins.

Sharks are not really a problem. You kind of know their out there somewhere but you never see them. Once in a great while someone will get bit by a shark but to be honest you've got a better chance of winning the lottery. (Come to think of it, I've got a better chance of being bitten by a shark since I don't play the Lottery, yet a better chance of being struck by lightining.)

The positives far outweigh the negatives! IMO there is nothing better than walking along the beach picking up all manner of cool seashells, watching the waves crash in and seeing the occasional school of dolphins play off shore. Then all of a sudden about 20-25 pelicans will come along flying a foot off the water's surface in a train--nose to tail. The salt air smell--I love it! (The salt-air smell is a little bit of an acquired taste for some) There's nothing better!

You've said before you have to make the move. Make a decision to enjoy it and focus on the positive aspects of the area. There are so many good things about this area but if you focus on all the negative things you'll be miserable. The area really has many wonderful aspects and people can be so wonderful; you will love the area only in proportion to how much you focus on the positive aspects. The same is true no matter where you live. If you have to move decide to make the most of it and everything usually will be fine.

There's nothing wrong with gathering information though, keep asking those questions!

Old 07-09-2008, 11:25 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,567,481 times
Hi again Reese,
I agree wholeheartedly with the above poster, Ebediel. As for another post here, the "culture shock" Sunny is reporting in ECity, I humbly translate that to mean Southern small town differences, like accents and the slower pace and low-key standard of living.

At the beach, there are lifeguards up and down the beach. You can spot them in their 10-foot-high white-painted chairs, and usually they are near hotels. You can go in the water near where they are. Public parking is available at the various piers all along the beach, there's roughly a half-dozen of those, plus a few other "public access" places are there but not very well marked and less parking.

The water is indeed chilly, but not unlike outdoor pools are chilly. A lot of people, especially families with small children, just wade in the surf. You don't have to go in the ocean, just like you don't have to go in a lake. If it's windy and the surf is rough, then what Ebediel said, walking up and down the beach, that's the same fun, and lots of people like to just sit on a beach towel and take it all in, like you would at a park.

ALL your children will need to wear little life jackets, usually there's a shop or two near the piers that has those. The way the ocean works, it's just like a lake, except there's "surf." That's where the ocean currents, wind, and tide push the water up onto the beach, as waves. It's like the wind makes ripples on a lake, only at the beach, they're a lot bigger. Because the ocean is constantly moving, children need those preservers, just as you would put one on them if you boated onto the lake.

But swimming in the ocean is not like a lake, rather it's an "adventure" !!! Sometimes the shallower part is clear, but in general you only can see the surface because of the salt. And salt is very good for the skin to soak in. Also, unlike a lake, the footing at the beach is all sand, very soft to the feet, compared to the dirt and weeds in a lake.

The beach and ocean are larger than anything you've ever seen at the lake. You simply will not believe what you experience the first time you walk down on the sand and have a look at the Atlantic. It will blow you away. The beach goes for miles and miles, as far as you can see, along the edge of the ocean, and the sand is wide enough for many, many people to sit in their little beach chairs under a beach umbrella, or for folks that walk up and down the beach along the surf, or for kids to build little sand castles just out of reach of the surf, and it's just a very exciting and busy place to have fun.

If you like, just bring your oldest son with you two when you go to the ocean the first time, and leave the little children home with a sitter. At your son's age, he normally would not need a life jacket, but since he's not experienced with the movement of the ocean, he needs one until he gets used to it all. By just you three going to the beach, the little children won't get confused or upset with you guys trying to find the best spot that you want to park, and getting settled down on the beach (you have to find a "spot" to sit on your towel). You will figure it all out on your first visit, observe what other families do with their children and so forth. Your next visit, you'll be better able to plan what to bring and all, and thus make the smaller children more comfortable.

There is so much to do at Nags Head (nickname for the beach) that no matter how many times you go down there, you'll find new and fun things to do. I mean, when you get tired of hanging out on the beach, there's putt-putt golf, movie theaters, the big sand dune park I told you about before, and you'll also find all sorts of little outdoor "malls" to shop in, plus places to eat, because going to the beach makes people hungry... just don't go in the ocean until at least one hour after you've eaten or you'll get a cramp.

As for jellyfish (rare) and seaweed (sometimes), or surf that's too wild to go in (windy days), or water too cold (early summer), that is just plain how it is from time to time, and the ocean is different for every visit you make down there. But usually the water is nice and lots of people go in it. I've only gotten stung by a jellyfish one time in my whole life, and it felt like a mild bee sting. And I have never seen a shark, how ridiculous. People do look out for them, though, and you will instantly know if there is a sighting, because folks will start yelling for everyone to get out of the water. But usually it just turns out to be a dolphin, which are harmless and friendly, sort of "dogs of the ocean."

I envy you, Reese and your husband, for living within a hop, skip, and a jump from such a beautiful area, the Outer Banks, and for living in a cute small Southern town, too. I hope it all suits you, just take it slowly, a little at a time, and in a couple months, I think you will see that you've done a good thing and chosen a really good place to live.
GG

Old 07-09-2008, 12:00 PM

I thank you all again. My kids love the beach my 15 year old son doesn't. He will go to look at girls but to swim he hates beaches. I'm trying I 'm doing what I can to make myself feel better like having the house sprayed today for bugs. Even though my husband has been in the house for a week and has any seen a fly. He works outside as well and said he has yet to see anything odd that we don't have in Michigan. The only time he has seen anything different as far as bugs is in areas outside of Elizabeth City in more country area and then it was at night. But it will help me feel better. I'm having a big problrem finding a cable company. I have a lot of problems at night thinking of leavinh all my family here. I know that I must look at positive things because how I adjust will be how my kids adjust. I'm trying to educate myself like my question about the beach. My husband has said nothing but good things about the area. Those people he has met have been so nice and helpful. I think I have to say good bye here and I think the thought od that has been so hard that seeing ahead is hard. I know I will get there and I know there will be days after we move that I will want to go home. On a bad day or when I 'm not feeling well. I'm sure that down the road there will be a day that I feel like I'm home. It will take time.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:00 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,184,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reese7 View Post
I'm having a big problrem finding a cable company.
Why?

Pasquotank County probably has a contract with only one. I believe it's Time-Warner Cable.

Last edited by mm34b; 07-09-2008 at 04:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina