U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2008, 06:56 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,581,142 times

Advertisements

I am about to loose hope in the beaches I love at the Outer Banks due to the wind.

I understand a little ocean wind and I figure there would be wind coming off the sand but the weather conditions for this past early week was perfect than the last time I was at the obx in may 2007 and both time the wind is so strong the sand pelts you.

If you lay on the beach within an hour you are so sand covered from the blowing sand.

Does anyone have this problem visiting?

Outerbanks = downgrade
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 07:14 PM

650 posts, read 1,110,125 times
I live at the opposite end of that Outer Banks wind: the jet stream and its prevailing winds run from the southeast USA up to Ireland, and we have the SAME problem--wind that will stand your hair on end, tear your clothes nearly off, and get sand in/on everything for miles. Ugh. Even the thatched roofs along the coast have nets weighted with big rocks, to hold the roof down onto the house, it's madness.

The good news is that we have plenty of wind farms now providing us with electricity, but you're right--it can make a "day at the beach" a misery.

Last edited by LilyLaLa; 07-07-2008 at 07:32 PM.. Reason: stupid-looking typo

Old 07-07-2008, 07:51 PM

88 posts, read 291,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLaLa View Post
I live at the opposite end of that Outer Banks wind: the jet stream and its prevailing winds run from the southeast USA up to Ireland, and we have the SAME problem--wind that will stand your hair on end, tear your clothes nearly off, and get sand in/on everything for miles. Ugh. Even the thatched roofs along the coast have nets weighted with big rocks, to hold the roof down onto the house, it's madness.

The good news is that we have plenty of wind farms now providing us with electricity, but you're right--it can make a "day at the beach" a misery.
Where are all of these wind farms on the OBX? For that matter anywhere else in our state?

Old 07-07-2008, 08:59 PM

You quoted my entire post.....

...but apparently didn't read it.

The answer's there. (hint: look at my location)

Last edited by LilyLaLa; 07-07-2008 at 09:02 PM.. Reason: hit reply before finished

Old 07-08-2008, 07:17 AM

713 posts, read 3,471,139 times
Default Wind can be a problem

You will find winds everywhere on the beaches. I can remember having the skin almost peeled off my legs on Prince Edward Island.

This spring was particularly windy here on the Crystal Coast and we have had some very windy days recently.

It's worse for the fisherman. When it is really blowing they can't take their boats out and bring home fish for the markets.

Lots of times we find the wind is quiet around sunrise and again around sunset. It doesn't always work, but it happens enough times to keep me fishing then.

Last edited by dsobotta; 07-08-2008 at 07:19 AM.. Reason: Left out word

Old 07-08-2008, 12:45 PM

1,810 posts, read 3,280,203 times
The wind screws things up for surfing, too, unless it's offshore or light (which it usually ain't).

Old 07-08-2008, 04:42 PM

I dont mind mild wind but this pelting sand wind does make a day on the beach complete misery. I dont even want to bring my dog since she is at the level of the blowing sand.

Is there a particular month that it is not so windy?
I heard the water temperatures are ideal in September and October is still windy then?
I know it will be if a tropical depression or great coming through but other than that?

I love the serenity of the OBX but now I am questioning if it is worthwhile.

Old 07-08-2008, 05:06 PM

Sounds like questions for a meteorologist--didn't I read somewhere where this is going to be a particularly bad year for storms and hurricanes? (or was it tornadoes...?)

Seriously, an e-mail to the met office of a local radio or tv station might be welcomed and answered; I'm not familiar with NC media of course, but in many other places they'll often pick those sort of things to share with listeners...you can't be the only one bothered by wind, I'd guess.

(What's the Farmer's Almanack say?)

Old 07-08-2008, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLaLa View Post
Sounds like questions for a meteorologist--didn't I read somewhere where this is going to be a particularly bad year for storms and hurricanes? (or was it tornadoes...?)

Seriously, an e-mail to the met office of a local radio or tv station might be welcomed and answered; I'm not familiar with NC media of course, but in many other places they'll often pick those sort of things to share with listeners...you can't be the only one bothered by wind, I'd guess.

(What's the Farmer's Almanack say?)
lol but I am not local either and my media may not follow up with it since we dont have blowing sand issue but good idea none the less.
I might have to find a different state to vacation in.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:44 PM

8,575 posts, read 6,351,543 times
you should go to the wilmington area or brunswick county. my earliest memory of the beach was when I was a child at the OBX. I remember the sand pelting me so hard that I cried. it is a windy place, there is a reason the wright brothers choose this location for the flight. got to get that wind assistance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
lol but I am not local either and my media may not follow up with it since we dont have blowing sand issue but good idea none the less.
I might have to find a different state to vacation in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina