U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-13-2008, 02:04 PM
 
700 posts, read 2,943,307 times
Reputation: 375

Advertisements

Amen jmarquise! Downhill is right and still rolling. If this is your favorite place IonRedline08....you must not have been in many places OR maybe it was because you only lived here for a very brief time. Maybe you weren't here long enough to get the true picture. It wouldn't take you long now to change your mind I'm sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-13-2008, 06:37 PM
 
57 posts, read 246,216 times
Reputation: 47
Wilmington is a recycling pit of over educated northerner's moving here to find that the best paying jobs go to those that "know someone " rather than what they know.
It's a sad situation here.
This community has potential but local business and local government have to be reborn out of their rectums and get beyond the ivory tower syndrome that blankets this area.
After 3 years of moving south of the mason dixon line it's clear as to why the south lost the civil war, the mind set down here never evolved even after defeat.
Wilmington in the future will never be more than a seasonal town for tourists and a poor choice for retiree's due to the lack of infrastructure for the elderly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2008, 07:49 PM
 
32 posts, read 150,320 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by qaz123 View Post
Wilmington is a recycling pit of over educated northerner's moving here to find that the best paying jobs go to those that "know someone " rather than what they know.
It's a sad situation here.
This community has potential but local business and local government have to be reborn out of their rectums and get beyond the ivory tower syndrome that blankets this area.
After 3 years of moving south of the mason dixon line it's clear as to why the south lost the civil war, the mind set down here never evolved even after defeat.
Wilmington in the future will never be more than a seasonal town for tourists and a poor choice for retiree's due to the lack of infrastructure for the elderly.
What should the community do differently? (top 2-3 things!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2008, 07:53 AM
 
Location: Wilmington, NC
8,575 posts, read 6,357,562 times
Reputation: 835
here are some things they need to do here.
1. before building a bunch of subdivisions for retirees, how about some roads to service the communities.
2. how about fixing the problems with the sewage lines so we don't have any more toxic leaks. oh wait, they had to build a convention center before they did that. you know, I guess the convention center in new bern, myrtle beach, and raleigh wasn't enough to service this area.


Quote:
Originally Posted by dawneel View Post
What should the community do differently? (top 2-3 things!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2008, 01:45 PM
 
700 posts, read 2,943,307 times
Reputation: 375
The top two problems would be low wages and high cost of living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2008, 01:58 PM
 
257 posts, read 926,569 times
Reputation: 159
Default hard to get balanced views!

it's really hard to get balanced views from some on this list!

that's not terribly helpful to outsiders trying to get INFORMATION!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2008, 06:39 PM
 
Location: Wilmington, NC
8,575 posts, read 6,357,562 times
Reputation: 835
what specifically are you trying to get information on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarppinJudy View Post
it's really hard to get balanced views from some on this list!

that's not terribly helpful to outsiders trying to get INFORMATION!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2008, 06:52 PM
 
Location: Wilmington, NC
412 posts, read 1,109,122 times
Reputation: 297
qaz123 - if it's so sad why are you still here? I'm curious......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2008, 03:10 PM
 
57 posts, read 246,216 times
Reputation: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawneel View Post
What should the community do differently? (top 2-3 things!)
1-Learn to say slow down to new development.Building too many new homes and trying to figure out how to provide services after they are sold is not a good thing.
2-Try to attract business besides real estate/development. The developers make there money then leave the towns/ citizens to straighten out the mess they leave behind due to poor planning.
3-Start actually doing building inspections.
4-Start developing any type of infrastructure that regular working class people, students and the elderly can use.
5-Stop electing pot smoking lesbians to government.
This would be a good start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2008, 03:25 PM
 
57 posts, read 246,216 times
Reputation: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmingtonangel View Post
qaz123 - if it's so sad why are you still here? I'm curious......
I moved here because I like the weather.
Hopefully change is coming. Corruption is being brought out in the open and being dealt with.
I have a ways to go before I retire and think that enough outsiders moving in will change the self centered, ignorant, lazy mind set that plagues so many that are 'from here" to a kinder, gentler community that stops stabbing each other in the back each chance they get.
The old excuse of "your in the south now" as told to me by the real estate agent that I used to purchase my home with is a **** poor excuse for peoples lack of work ethics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top