U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 03:47 PM

412 posts, read 1,108,761 times

Advertisements

qaz123 - You do have some good points in your list of 5 things that could be done differently. I especially like #5...So true!

I agree though....the weather is great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 01:06 PM

116 posts, read 489,635 times
I see you are orignially from New York and have lived in Wilmington for 3 years. What part of NY are you from?

Judging by your comments on this thread and othes, you like the weather here but not much else. Are you going to stay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by qaz123 View Post
I moved here because I like the weather.
Hopefully change is coming. Corruption is being brought out in the open and being dealt with.
I have a ways to go before I retire and think that enough outsiders moving in will change the self centered, ignorant, lazy mind set that plagues so many that are 'from here" to a kinder, gentler community that stops stabbing each other in the back each chance they get.
The old excuse of "your in the south now" as told to me by the real estate agent that I used to purchase my home with is a **** poor excuse for peoples lack of work ethics.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:44 PM

57 posts, read 246,095 times
I'm from upstate ny. I'm looking to relocate, it's a nice place to live for a while but I do not want to retire here. The cost of living for this area is too high for the local offerings.
In Ny we had high taxes and you received quality government and services.
Down here-well you get what you pay for.
And the cost of living is much more than the wages offered.
I feel sorry for someone that is retired and on a fixed income in this area.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:44 PM

3,116 posts, read 4,147,485 times
Excellent original question. I have often wondered why North Carolina did not have a mega coastal city like other states. In fact, until recently, NC did not have a big city at all. For SC, at least Charleston used to be one of the nation's largest cities, but NC didn't even have a major coastal city back in the day.

Old 08-18-2008, 03:31 PM

116 posts, read 489,635 times
One possibility as to why NC has not had a large port city is that the coastal cities in NC are far from I-95. When compared to other large coastal cities, the other cities appear to have relatively quick access to I95, and hence, the ability to move goods quickly.

Since I40 connected Wilmington to I-95, the Wilmington area has seen a growth spurt and there appears to be very little let up in the foreseeable future.

Old 08-18-2008, 03:37 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,596,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachLiving View Post
One possibility as to why NC has not had a large port city is that the coastal cities in NC are far from I-95. When compared to other large coastal cities, the other cities appear to have relatively quick access to I95, and hence, the ability to move goods quickly.

Since I40 connected Wilmington to I-95, the Wilmington area has seen a growth spurt and there appears to be very little let up in the foreseeable future.
I still remember the day that I 40 did not go to Wilmington . It was completed in 1990 To The Shore! - North Carolina's Struggle to Build Interstate 40 to the Atlantic Coast

Old 08-18-2008, 03:43 PM

3,116 posts, read 4,147,485 times
[quote=BeachLiving;4906136]One possibility as to why NC has not had a large port city is that the coastal cities in NC are far from I-95. When compared to other large coastal cities, the other cities appear to have relatively quick access to I95, and hence, the ability to move goods quickly.

QUOTE]

Yeah, but NYC, Boston, Baltimore, Richmond, Norfolk, New Orleans, and Miami were megacities well before interstate highways. I-95/20 are relatively recent factors, but the reasons why certain coastal cities are megacities go back to colonial days.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:51 AM

30 posts, read 93,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachLiving View Post

BINGO! Raleigh was as far east I-40 traveled for a long time(late 80, early 90's). You had to figure out which highway to use depending on your location (74 from the West and 421 or 17 from N/S).

Old 08-21-2008, 12:18 PM

57 posts, read 246,095 times
Wilmington is a port city but the port is way up the cape fear river, (about 20 miles) That's why they are planning on building another port in Southport which is directly on the water.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:20 PM

452 posts, read 2,127,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
I think for many of us, there just aren't the jobs available to even consider Wilmington. Now, if the jobs were there, that would be a place I would think about.

Dawn
I think this hits the nail on the head right here. The reason Wilmington is not exploding is that there is not a lot of choice in employment that pays well, it's hard to come by, and not growing much.

If a lot of high paying jobs would open up, it would explode. I personally don't want to see this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina