U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2008, 12:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,093 times

Advertisements

I live in California,can't afford it anymore. Never been to N.C. but see its very cheap to buy a house. can someone tell me what coastal city I should look at. I'd like a small town.more retired people that young people.litttle crime,or bad parts of town.no colleges. I live in cambria , ca. now if anyone is familiar with it I'd like a clone town of Cambria. and info on hurricanes or tornados in the area.thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 01:25 PM

451 posts, read 1,689,634 times
Be forewarned - if you want the perfect city, it ain't gonna come with the perfect price! Idealic small towns are hard to come by that offer affordable living. Chapel Hill, for example, is well known as being one of the most expensive cities in the State. If you are looking for a nice coastal area, i'd suggest Morehead City, Beaufort, New Bern...if you want a larger city, check out Wilmington. However, Wilmington has a college and has a large younger population.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:34 PM

2,197 posts, read 6,723,118 times
You're not going to find a clone of Cambria in N.C. You're not going to find a cheaper version of CA anywhere... and you're setting yourself up for disappointment by moving to a new area with that expectation. Different areas have different appeals. Good luck!

Old 07-10-2008, 02:10 PM

5,372 posts, read 9,877,585 times
Hello Needinahome,

I do know Cambria, and it's a lovely, lovely place. We moved to coastal NC after a long sojourn in No. CA. Personally, we've found congenial folks and kindred spirits in Beaufort NC.

There ARE major differences...this area is genuine, down-to-earth and not nearly as "flossy/glossy" as Cambria/Carmel and other artistic and pricey enclaves on CA's coast.

People are viewed and valued more on their hearts and community involvement more than by the import car they drive (for the most part). Any sense of entitlement or "how it was done back in ______"(fill in the blank) is a sure way to alienate yourself from acceptance and friendships.

Having Duke Marine Lab and NOAA and being a seaport, Beaufort brings fresh perspectives and diverse people to our shores--many decide to live or retire here.

We've forged special friendships with people from all over--and don't lack for intellectual or spiritual fulfillment.

The natural beauty here is special--a trip to Shackelford Banks or Cape Lookout National Seashore reveals much of our local unspoiled coast. Summers are sultry--and that takes some adjustment...I suffered my first summer and each year I feel the humidity less and less..

Unlike CA's coastal regions, we've got manufactured homes as well as multi-million dollar mansions...income levels vary widely and regular working folks work hard to earn a living for themselves and their families. But many would give you the shirt off their backs...the common courtesies are much appreciated by me.

My recommendation is to come, if possible for a several week visit. After Labor Day when things quiet down from the tourist season is a nice time to come. You may find the "soul" of this special place to be congenial, but you'd do well not to have a mental check-list to compare it to CA. It's not, it's different, and it's fine. Just my opinion, you'll want to form your own, of course.

Come on down...the sweet tea's fine, and the ocean's just right for swimming.

Your scribe,
Little Dolphin

Last edited by LittleDolphin; 07-10-2008 at 02:12 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-13-2008, 08:03 PM

33 posts, read 94,061 times
We've had a lot of folks move to New Bern from CA. I've found them homes of all sizes and prices.
I'm not familier with your town, but New Bern is a small, historical town surrounded by 2 rivers. A wonderful area for retirement. Close to the beach.
We have our share of hurricanes, but we are about 30 miles inland from the coast.
Good luck!

Old 07-14-2008, 12:07 PM

257 posts, read 926,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Garbarino View Post
We have our share of hurricanes, but we are about 30 miles inland from the coast.

Martha & others, Pls. elaborate on hurricanes in this area, especially in New Bern and Wilmington areas!

Last edited by scrappinJudy; 07-14-2008 at 12:29 PM..

Old 07-21-2008, 12:16 PM

917 posts, read 2,093,092 times
Most like Cambria? I'd say Ocracoke, it's a town and an island, and you will find alot of info about it on-line. I've lived in both north and south coasts of Calif., coastal Massachusetts and Carolina. You have to be prepared though Calif. and Carolina are very very different.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:47 AM

1 posts, read 1,826 times
Looking for a lower cost living you might want to try the Myrtle Beach area.....there are some excellent home buys out there currently. The people are friendly and wave to you often. The lower tax base for permanent residents is great, and if over 65 there is an even larger tax benefit to relocating here. Don't dismiss SC living!

Old 07-23-2008, 01:52 PM

8,575 posts, read 6,363,487 times
the average age in wilmington is 34, and that is with a college. no, I would say that wilmington has a large older population.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithuania View Post
Be forewarned - if you want the perfect city, it ain't gonna come with the perfect price! Idealic small towns are hard to come by that offer affordable living. Chapel Hill, for example, is well known as being one of the most expensive cities in the State. If you are looking for a nice coastal area, i'd suggest Morehead City, Beaufort, New Bern...if you want a larger city, check out Wilmington. However, Wilmington has a college and has a large younger population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina