U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 08:05 PM

5,371 posts, read 9,856,251 times

Advertisements

Yep, the Crystal Coast is a nifty place to consider--and to live, but finding jobs with middle incomes can be problematic--unless you work in some needed area such as health care or such...or import a web-based business as many have.

But worth a look anyhow, it's a great vacation area, too!

Great good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2007, 12:33 PM

51 posts, read 177,423 times
awesome info-thanks so much. So, what do you know about hurricanes in this area? Can you give me an idea about a cost of living comparison with CNY, this is where I have lived forever. I hate it. Hate the people. ANd todays paper said we have more binge drinkers than any other city in the us. Go figure. Thats becasue theres nothing else to do. We only have 3 months a year that we can enjoy the outdoors, but theres not much to enjoy!

Old 08-02-2007, 11:25 AM

51 posts, read 177,423 times
wow-my house in cny is worth about $139,000 and we pay almost $3000 in property and school taxes. Why so cheap in Currituck?

Old 08-09-2007, 09:02 PM

830 posts, read 865,752 times
Default Town Politics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsobotta View Post
We have lived in Atlantic Canada including Halifax, NS, Columbia, MD, Reston, VA, and Roanoke, VA. I went to school in Cambridge, Mass so I understand the New England fascination with the water.

We made the decision to get a place on the Crystal Coast near Cape Carteret because it is one of the few places on the Carolina coast where many of the people live in the area year round and reasonable services are available all year. Also the area is not overwhlemed with tourists even in peak season.

We have good four lane roads into the area and with south facing beaches seemed to have faired well with the storms. Recreation on the water is part of life here.

It is an area with a small town feel, but there are plenty of people from all over the country to give it a very accepting atmosphere. We have people in our neighborhood from NY, New Jersey, and beyond.

There is also significant history in the area with Beaufort (http://coastalnc.org/beaufortnctravelguide - broken link) and Swansboro.

The beauty of the area is absolutely stunning from the water. There are communities that can match almost every taste. I love the area trails and the fact that we live in an area where we are almost surrounded by the Croatan National Forest.

I tend to run on about the area forever since I am having an absolute blast living here. I walk out my door and go for a swim in the morning in the neighborhood pool (http://coastalnc.org/newbluewaterpoolshot - broken link). I can stick my kayak in the water behind my house and we have a 20 ft skiff tied up behind our house (http://coastalnc.org/readyforaction - broken link). I rode my bike and walked on the beach every month last winter.

We recently did a trip to Beaufort to see the tall ship Royaliste. We also did a sixty-seven mile boat trip to visit Shackleford Banks and just went up river on the White Oak where we got to watch it change from a wide tidal river to a winding fresh water one.

I think we got a great new house on the water for a very reasonable price.

Jobs are the biggest challenge, so I would suggest you check the local papers before making a move.

You can check out the Moderator cut: link removed

School information is available at Chamber of Commerce Site.

I have five websites about the area, but a good starting point is my Southern Outer Banks site.

You can find lots of pictures at my Picasa web albums site.

Climate info can be found at the Weather Channel site for zipcode 28584.

I hope you find a spot that you can love like the one we found.

I would be happy to answer other questions as they come up. I actually have a very neat beach tour route that I recently gave to some friends from Massachusetts who enjoyed our beaches in April !
Beautiful home!!! Can you tell me anything about the town's politics? How the town is run? Are they properly handling the tax payers money? I am leaving a town that is in a big financial mess which I feel much was brought on by handing out too many fat salaries and over spending. I really don't want to go through that again if I can help it.

Last edited by Yac; 11-02-2007 at 06:34 AM..

Old 08-31-2007, 07:50 PM

90 posts, read 310,977 times
I really don't know whytaxes are so low and wasn't going to complain, lol. I am only 15 min to the obx beaches and in a beautiful house. I am located in Grandy NC 27939. THERE ARE OTHER COUNTIES EAST SOUTH ,OF ME AND MUCH MORE RURAL , BUT THERE TAXES ARE WAY HIGHER. LOL so shhhhhh keep this quiet lol or they might raise them!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina