U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 09:50 PM

3 posts, read 20,187 times

Advertisements

Hi all. My name is Lizzy (Sheba). I'm 23 and the mommy of 2 beautiful girls. I am also a wife to my wonderful husband Sam.

We will be moving to the OBX within the next 2 months. I've lived there before and my daddy and his family live there. My question is how is the economy? I know that most work there is seasonal. Will my family survive and survive well or is it sink or swim? Thanx P.s. I can't wait!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2006, 10:02 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,675,176 times
Which county? Dare?

Old 05-22-2006, 11:01 PM

Yes, I think. I want to live in KDH or Nags Head

Old 05-22-2006, 11:25 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,675,176 times
The average unemployment rate for NC is around 4%. In Dare County, it's running around 6%.

Old 05-23-2006, 12:04 AM

Thats actually not bad. I think!!! LoL I'm more worried about year round employment.

Old 10-10-2008, 11:27 AM
cpg

2 posts, read 11,970 times
[quote=Lizzyhall22@comcast.net;14087]Hi all. My name is Lizzy (Sheba). I'm 23 and the mommy of 2 beautiful girls. I am also a wife to my wonderful husband Sam.

We will be moving to the OBX within the next 2 months. I've lived there before and my daddy and his family live there. My question is how is the economy? I know that most work there is seasonal. Will my family survive and survive well or is it sink/i

hello i have been here for 4 yrs and i am from ny do you husband a favor and stay a tourist(or the locals would call you a "TOURON) the pay is on avg 12$$ it is crazy trust me the locals think us northerners are annoying they tell me this "do you know the difference between a yankee and damn yankee??? a yankee just visits obx, a damn yankee stays here??trust me dont do itquote]

Old 10-27-2008, 03:54 PM

566 posts, read 880,317 times
[quote=cpg;5634310]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzyhall22@comcast.net View Post
Hi all. My name is Lizzy (Sheba). I'm 23 and the mommy of 2 beautiful girls. I am also a wife to my wonderful husband Sam.

We will be moving to the OBX within the next 2 months. I've lived there before and my daddy and his family live there. My question is how is the economy? I know that most work there is seasonal. Will my family survive and survive well or is it sink/i

hello i have been here for 4 yrs and i am from ny do you husband a favor and stay a tourist(or the locals would call you a "TOURON) the pay is on avg 12$$ it is crazy trust me the locals think us northerners are annoying they tell me this "do you know the difference between a yankee and damn yankee??? a yankee just visits obx, a damn yankee stays here??trust me dont do itquote]
I wonder if she's there now, cpg. Must agree with you tho on those points you made. It's not cut out for everyone. My dd has been there in the obx since 03 and can't wait to get back to Chicagoland. She has even begun to use the term "touron."
I can't believe she has to drive over an hour to Virginia just to get to a TARGET. It's rough. Definitely a wonderful place to visit, as I have. But to live there....it can work for certain types I spose.

Old 10-27-2008, 04:37 PM

214 posts, read 736,688 times
Hope you have a home based biz.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:56 AM

1 posts, read 4,765 times
Personally, i have lived here for over 15yrs, and i am tired of the seasonal work, and cheap employeers who only want to pay you $10.00 hr., and the cost of living is so expensive!! I am ready to pick my family up and move far away from here. Also some of the locals are tough to deal with. You just have to find a mommy and me group to get things moving for your family. But as for getting a job, waiting tables is easy, but not much else. This place is hard!!! TRUST ME!! AND SEASONAL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-07-2011, 02:41 AM

79 posts, read 274,659 times
People have been struggling all over,not just here.Jan unemployment was over 14%,which is typical during the winter.It averaged around 6.5% last summer.Construction appears to be picking up some.Several people that I know are swamped with work right now,with folks getting ready for the upcoming tourist season.If you want to work,you'll find a job,but you may need 2 to survive.

I moved here in the 80's and it was tough for the first few years,but I have never regretted it.It's a great place to live and raise a family.2010 was the busiest I've ever seen it and early indications are that 2011 will be just as good,if not better.I am very optimistic about the future of the Outer Banks.It's hard to imagine how far we've come in the last 20 years and with an improving economy,I don't see anything that'll derail this freight train.

Last edited by obxfisherman; 03-07-2011 at 02:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina