U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2008, 12:21 PM

2 posts, read 3,401 times

Advertisements

OK, we are relocating from LI NY. We lived in Greensboro area for 10 years loved it but hated it was so far from beach. We live 5 minutes to beach so we want to stay close to beach.

We are trying to get transfered with my husbands employment, the options we are looking at right now is New Bern or Jacksonville. We want to be as close to beach as possible but dont want to have to commute too far to work in either town. We also like busy life, we have 2 children 8 and 11. We also own youth Sports Photography franchise so need to be with families and activities.

We love fishing, boating and my children are involved with football baseball and theater.

Our price range is between 225,000- 350,000 and need 4 bedrooms. Our problem is not finding a house that fits our needs but where should we be. A friend also looking to relocate said when she visited New Bern it was very beautiful, but not much happening.

Would love Willmington, but the job isnt available there. Any suggestions on towns near beach within 30 minutes to jacksonville with good schools?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 07:06 AM

713 posts, read 3,471,139 times
Smile Try Cape Carteret

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetFlame View Post
OK, we are relocating from LI NY. We lived in Greensboro area for 10 years loved it but hated it was so far from beach. We live 5 minutes to beach so we want to stay close to beach.

We are trying to get transfered with my husbands employment, the options we are looking at right now is New Bern or Jacksonville. We want to be as close to beach as possible but dont want to have to commute too far to work in either town. We also like busy life, we have 2 children 8 and 11. We also own youth Sports Photography franchise so need to be with families and activities.

We love fishing, boating and my children are involved with football baseball and theater.

Our price range is between 225,000- 350,000 and need 4 bedrooms. Our problem is not finding a house that fits our needs but where should we be. A friend also looking to relocate said when she visited New Bern it was very beautiful, but not much happening.

Would love Willmington, but the job isnt available there. Any suggestions on towns near beach within 30 minutes to jacksonville with good schools?
Thanks
I think you will find the area between Swansboro-Cape Carteret meets your needs. I have lots of posts about the area.

This map will help orient you. Just zoom down a few clicks to street level and click on a service or location.

Their are some subdivisions with lots of kids. One of the ones which I would guess that fit your needs is Star Hill North. You can get a nice four bedroom home under $300K there. Of course there are other subdivisions with more amenities and higher prices. Most would be under ten minutes to the beach.

There are some others on the Swansboro side of the area, but most people seem to prefer Carteret County Schools which are highly rated.

There are plenty of homes to choose from, it is just a matter of figuring out exactly what you want and how close you can get to the water for the amount you want to spend and what is on the market when you start seriously looking.

This winter I found a nearly new 4 bedroom $350K home with a boat slip on Bogue Sound for a family from Missouri. That area would be about 45 minutes to Jacksonsville.

The Cape Carteret area is great for boating. It you live in the town of Cape Carteret, I believe the fee is about $50 per year to use the town boat ramp.

I think you'll find there is plenty to do in the outdoors here because of the great climate. Yesterday I managed to go biking, swimming, and kayaking and that was all before noon. I did some fishing but only caught a Blue Crab. Then I had lunch, worked some, and went for a walk on the beach. We were getting ready to take the boat out, but a storm came up.

We have a boat on a lift (http://coastalnc.org/boatonthelift - broken link) behind our house which is on the White Oak River. We are ten minutes by boat from the Intracoastal and in another ten minutes we can be out Bogue Inlet into the ocean.

There are great trails in the area which has the 158,000 acres of Croatan National Forest to protect us from over development.

On my blog you can read why I like Carteret County and its small towns.

We have been here two years and this blog from our first year provides a good diary of our initial impressions of the area.

We don't have nearly as much shopping or activity as Wilmington, but there is lots of shopping in Jacksonville or Morehead City which is about 20 minutes away.

There's a nice fitness center and lots of festivals and events to keep everyone happy.

We don't have the traffic that Wilmington has, so getting to the water is a piece of cake.

Here are a couple of slide shows, one around the fourth of July and the other a trip out the White Oak to Bogue Inlet.

I'll try to respond to questions about the area that you might have. I usually check the forum at least once a day.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:42 AM

33 posts, read 93,950 times
I have a son turning 13 Saturday. He has played Pop Warner Football, plays Cal Ripkin baseball with the Sunday School League, AAU Travel Baseball, Golf...has played soccer, but not at the moment. New Bern was written up in Sports Illustrated as having one of the top sports programs. We love it here.
There is a theater downtown that a lot of kids in the area take part. They also offer summer programs and workshops for the kids. They do an excellent job!

We are involved in the public schools, but there are wonderful private schools too.

30 minutes to the beach! Two rivers. Can't beat it!

Old 07-16-2008, 01:03 PM

2 posts, read 3,401 times
ok now you both have me confussed....

One of you love New Bern Area the other loves Jacksonville area, HUMM

Well, how far is it to beach the place of work in New Bern is Martin Luther King Blvd, and in Jacksonville it is Western Blvd.

We wouldnt want to travel more than 20 minutes to work and want to be as close to beach as we can. Is this possible????

People told me the beach is over an hour away from New Bern.

I dont know

Thanks

Old 07-16-2008, 02:10 PM

451 posts, read 1,687,204 times
If you want to live closer to the beach, you may want to look at Morehead City. New Bern is probably a 45 minute drive to the beach because of traffic and stoplights as you get to Morehead City.

The Neuse River is pretty wide near New Bern, though, so it feels pretty coastal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina