U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 06:22 PM

419 posts, read 1,242,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogmomandpop View Post
Well, we originally thought about moving to a home on Sea Trail Golf and Vacation Resort in Sunset Beach, NC which is just 1 1/2 miles from the ocean, but it doesn't exactly capture the boating atmosphere my husband loves. It is more of a golfing atmosphere. Southport sounds more appealing, but is it far enough away from the water to be safe in a Category 3 Hurricane?

Thanks!
Keep in mind that Hurricanes travel 10 - 20 miles per hour. You have several days advanced notice to plan for them. If you see one coming, move inland. Make sure you have insurance and everything will be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 08:03 AM

214 posts, read 736,572 times
Default Hurricanes in Coastal North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogmomandpop View Post
My husband and I are looking for a coastal community to retire to in the next few years. We thought Southport sounded like a lovely option. We enjoy the ocean, but do not want the cost or weather threat that accompanies a beachfront home.

Does anybody know how bad the weather can get in the Southport area? We are from Chicago, so naturally we are used to lousy weather, but hurricanes and tropical storms are a little out of our league.

Thanks!
Many posts have addressed hurricanes in coastal north carolina, and it is a thread we all grow tired of addressing on this forum. However, since we are Southerners and try to be polite as possible, I would recommend you go to the search portion of city-data. There you can pull up all the threads that have addressed hurricanes in this area.
Having lived on the coast all my life, and recently relocated to Southport about 4 years I can assure you that we are in a relatively protected area.
Our beaches tend to face south, do not jut out into the ocean, such as those in Okracoke, and our weather reporting service has improved vastly over the years. I personally would never evacuate my home, unless absolutely necessary, because you are putting yourself in greater danger due to the high winds and falling trees if you are on the road.
Buy yourself a weather channel radio, stock up on non-perishable food and water, be sure you have gas for the grill in case your electricity goes, and sit tight.
Having lived here for four years I have only experienced one severe storm.
Our boats remained safe in the harbor, no damage was done to our homes, and the next day was bright and sunny. Those with ocean front homes of course, are facing more probability of damage because they are located in less protected areas.
Worse flooding has occurred throughout the country than here, as is evidenced by the recent news and Katrina. I am not a Hurricane expert by any means, so if anyone out there has better information from the experts please submit it. That way when this issue arises again, we can refer people to it.

Old 08-03-2008, 08:14 AM

7,136 posts, read 11,011,591 times
My BIL and SIL moved from NY to Southport and absolutely love it there. They golf every week, sometimes every day, and are thrilled with the weather and quality of life there.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,690 times
it appears that the author of Hurricanes in North Carolina grew up in Southport, does that tell you anything?

Old 12-29-2008, 08:34 PM

4,657 posts, read 7,708,270 times
Hurricane activity seems to run in 10 year cycles. The past 10 years or so have been pretty quiet for Southport. The 80's into the 90's were on the busy side. Funny, we were just talking about hurricanes during Christmas dinner. Both our family homes are less than a 1/4 mile as the crow flies from the water (E. Moore). While both have sustained some hurricane damage in the past, nothing as catastrophic as I experienced in SW Florida in 2004. That area in SW FL hadn't seen a bad hurricane in 44 years.. and then whamo!

Mother Nature will do as she wishes.

As much as love the lofty pines in Auntie's yard, I do wish she'd have them cut down!

Old 12-29-2008, 09:01 PM

12,025 posts, read 28,325,964 times
Hubby and I recently purchased a 2nd home in Sourthport. We are about 3 miles from Oak Island and the ocean. We did have to purchase "wind and hale" insurance along with our regular homeowner's insurance but it was not as pricey as being on the island.

Southport is a wonderful community. Everyone has been so friendly but we live in Raleigh, NC so we expect that!

We have found some great little restaurants and are excited about spending more time in Sourthport and Oak Island.

Listen to what seashellbelle has to say. Someone that lives in the area will give you a much more experienced opinion, along with facts, as oppossed to someone that has heard information second hand.

Vicki

Old 12-31-2008, 07:48 AM

214 posts, read 736,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertnorth View Post
it appears that the author of Hurricanes in North Carolina grew up in Southport, does that tell you anything?
Actually no I didn't grow up in Southport, if you had read my thread, it indicated that I have lived in coastal areas all my life, in MD, DE, CA to be more precise, and am a transplantee from DC to SPT, and have lived here for four years now. So I don't know what you are attempting to imply?
People are always asking about hurricanes in this area because we are coastal, however, the media tends to over sensationalize the issue of hurricanes in order to sell their news.
During my time here and from a personal experience, the only hurricane I have had to endure lasted a day, and all we experienced were high winds and rain. There was very little flooding if any, and the worse incidents were downed trees, that is why it is better to stay inside, unless you are ordered to evacuate, which has never been the case in SPT. If you live on one of the islands, such as OI, after the winds reach 40 MPH, you are not allowed to cross the bridge. Residents are given plenty of notice to leave or stay, and I have never heard of a mandatory evacuation there either.
The only time I have ever had to evacuate was when I was vacationing on Ocracoke, which is a barrier island. The weather is actually more severe in Wilmington. We were given about 4 days notice to stock up on food and lost electricity for maybe an hour. But having lived near the coast all my life, this was not alarming to me in the least.
Hurricanes are a part of nature, just as tornadoes, mud slides, tsunami's, volcanoes and other natural related weather conditions. But of all the above, only two, to my knowledge, have sophisticated weather predictions for the US, and those are hurricanes and tsunami's in the HI islands.
I am not a weather expert by any means, so please do not fault me if I have made any errors in my statements, this is just a post from someone who loves the coast and who knew where to move to, based on her experience of having lived in many coastal areas.
So having said that, I extend my wishes to all of you for a very Happy New Year, good riddance 2008, and come on down, the waters fine!

Old 12-31-2008, 08:55 AM

1,676 posts, read 5,355,882 times
"Hurricane activity seems to run in 10 year cycles."
HHhhmmm..............I first heard that at the beginning of this 10 year cycle-20 years ago.

The only time I would "really" pay attention to the news is during a storm as they are tracking the storm.

Here are a couple threads from here at City-Data on hurricanes you may find helpful:

It's not always the coast that storms affect.

New to area Hurricane season a issue or not

Coastal NC REAL FACTS????

Bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina