U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2008, 10:35 AM

2 posts, read 5,247 times

Advertisements

My wife's employer is wanting her to relocate to Wilmington. We just spent all last week there at Carolina beach because it was a vacation too and our daughter wanted to stay at the beach. It was our second visit. We need to be making our final decision to move there or not. She needs to be there by mid Aug. We like the Monkey Junction area.

1. Can anyone tell me about Ashley Schools?
2. Anyone else in that area and how do you like it?
3. If we dont choose that area we may go on south 17 to Leland area. Any info on that area?

Its hard to decide with a few visits. Plus I will have to quit my job of 13 years.I like Wilmington "ok". Close to beach,riverfront, Mayfaire is nice but its not like "wow,I wanna live here". We are in Thomasville now near Greensboro but its part of her requirement to live in Wilmington area.
Her job will be paying around $80,000 yr but then I need to find work eventually.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 11:05 AM

8,575 posts, read 6,352,349 times
that is a pretty nice part of town, and from what I can gather, pretty good schools as well. I would choose monkey junction over leland for sure. sounds like your wife has a good job, and that is half the battle when relocating to this area. good jobs are few and far between. your assessment is pretty accurate. wilmington is OK. nothing special. the option of going to the beach is nice, but I do miss some things that are only provided by a larger city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acme369 View Post
My wife's employer is wanting her to relocate to Wilmington. We just spent all last week there at Carolina beach because it was a vacation too and our daughter wanted to stay at the beach. It was our second visit. We need to be making our final decision to move there or not. She needs to be there by mid Aug. We like the Monkey Junction area.

1. Can anyone tell me about Ashley Schools?
2. Anyone else in that area and how do you like it?
3. If we dont choose that area we may go on south 17 to Leland area. Any info on that area?

Its hard to decide with a few visits. Plus I will have to quit my job of 13 years.I like Wilmington "ok". Close to beach,riverfront, Mayfaire is nice but its not like "wow,I wanna live here". We are in Thomasville now near Greensboro but its part of her requirement to live in Wilmington area.
Her job will be paying around $80,000 yr but then I need to find work eventually.

Thanks.

Old 07-16-2008, 03:40 PM

412 posts, read 1,108,558 times
Ashley high school would be much better than Leland schools. I think you would like Monkey Junction a lot better anyway. I live in the Monkey Junction area and I have a son that is starting 9th grade at Ashley (so I don't know a lot yet). I do know that they seem to offer a lot of electives.

I like the area, although I'm not crazy about the drive downtown to work (although it could be worse I guess). It takes about 20-25 min in the morning to get to work.

Have you decided on a neighborhood yet? Kirkwood at Arrondale has a lot of kids so your daughter would make a lot of friends, plus it is in walking distance to the schools. The houses are in the mid-$200K range. The only downside is that it is a huge neighborhood with only ONE awkward entrance. But I don't live there (I live across the highway in a less expensive but nice neighborhood called Laurel Ridge).

Old 07-17-2008, 03:09 PM

2 posts, read 5,247 times
Wilmingtonangel are you new to the area? My daughter will be going to 9th also. Shes not crazy about the move but she will meet friends Im sure.

We did ride through Kirkwood at Arrondale. Seems nice. We also liked Brewsters Run(I think thats what it was called). Its new but no community pool.
So many to see there its hard in just a few days. We may just rent for about 6 months and learn more.
Thanks for the responses.

Old 07-17-2008, 06:29 PM

17 posts, read 72,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acme369 View Post
We may just rent for about 6 months and learn more.
Renting before buying would be a VERY wise decision. That way you'll have plenty of time to check out all of the options before making your real estate investment. Good luck with your move, and welcome to Wilmington!

Old 07-19-2008, 09:29 PM

5 posts, read 22,785 times
The Traffic could be a real problem as well as having to travel a distance to do just about anything. I have a real cute place I'm putting on the market in the Ogden area off Middle Sound Loop. This is near many grocery stores new theaters and the best shopping in town(Mayfaire Town Center) as well as being about 5 minutes to Wrighsville beach or now even a safe bicycle trip via the bike path and sidewalks. Peace and good luck-Darrell
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina